Private communications techniques

Private communications techniques

by Matt Huwiler -
Number of replies: 5

Im looking for a stable way to implement private teacher-to-student and student-to-student communication.  Ray Kingdons Dialogue module looks like the only way to do this in Moodle, but its still in development phase.  Heres my question:

Does anybody out there know of a good (stable) web-based (PHP or Perl preferably) way to allow this type of private communication?  Im looking for something that students could use in addition to Moodle that could be administered by the teacher.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Matt

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matt Huwiler

Re: Private communications techniques

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Just in case you've overlooked it - there is email, which is completely stable, reliable and useful. smile Every user profile has an email link for this purpose, so sending an email is only two clicks from anywhere a user's picture appears. In addition, simply replying to email sent from the forums will send back to the user.

Secondly, Ray's Dialogue module is pretty good already and might be worth a try if things are urgent. It provides better tracking via the web.

I don't know of any other methods that will work well with Moodle ...
In reply to Matt Huwiler

by Patrik Nilsson -
I don't know if its any help but the way we solved it is to use ICQ (they have a webversion so you never have to install anything) or use something like that to do that private messaging if email isn't good enough.
In reply to Matt Huwiler

by Matt Huwiler -

Hi Martin and Patrik,

Thanks for your replies.

Unfortunately, we really need a way for teachers to administer the student-to-student communication, so regular email wont work for our purposes (unless we ask students to CC the teacher for all posts).  I followed you advice and installed Rays Dialogue module and am experimenting with it now.  It looks great so far, but I need to figure out how to change the variable names to something meaningful (Im sure I just overlooked the documentation on this somewhere).

I checked out ICQs web version (ICQGo), but cant seem to find any way to allow a teacher to administer posts sent between students with this software.  Maybe I missed something?

Thanks again, and any other suggestions/advice will be very much appreciated!

Matt

In reply to Matt Huwiler

by Matt Huwiler -

Oops, I guess I missed the all caps "README" file in the mod directory smiley.gif.  Please disregard my variable question above.

Matt