Check your aspell installation - part 2

Check your aspell installation - part 2

par Helen Foster,
Nombre de réponses : 9
Avatar Core developers Avatar Documentation writers Avatar Moodle HQ Avatar Particularly helpful Moodlers Avatar Plugin developers Avatar Testers Avatar Translators
Upgrading to Moodle 1.5.2 resulted in spell checking no longer working on our site (what a tragedy wink) and the message "Check your aspell installation".

We realised the problem was caused by a space in the aspell path C:\program files\aspell\bin\aspell.exe

We fixed the problem by changing the path to C:\progra~1\aspell\bin\aspell.exe

(An alternative fix is detailed in bug 3903. smile)
Moyenne des évaluations  -
En réponse à Helen Foster

Re: Check your aspell installation - part 2

par Jeff Wood,
Hi Helen,

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately I can't change the following:

C:\program files\aspell\bin\aspell.exe
might be re-written as
C:\progra~1\aspell\bin\aspell.exe

As my site is hosted and I do not have the access (or skills) sad

This fix work on a Windows machine, right? What about Linux?

The issue isn't that aspell doesn't work (moodle admin reports all ok in the HTML editor setting area). The issue is there is no icon in the HTML editor to use.

I had everything working fine before the upgrade to 1.5.

Guess I just stick with the ff spell checker add-on.

J
En réponse à Jeff Wood

par Helen Foster,
Avatar Core developers Avatar Documentation writers Avatar Moodle HQ Avatar Particularly helpful Moodlers Avatar Plugin developers Avatar Testers Avatar Translators
Hi Jeff,

Sorry your issue remains unresolved. sad My fix is for users who obtain the message "Check your aspell installation". Spaces in the aspell path are more likely on Windows.

I hope that HTML editor Janne is able to help you.

par Janne Mikkonen,
Sorry triste I can't

At this point I'm knee deep, head first doing something else at this time. And it's eating all of my available time. Hopefully this'll clear out within couple of weeks ( if it takes months I'll start to grease the rope and search for robust branch clin d’œil)

- Janne -
En réponse à Janne Mikkonen

par Jeff Wood,
There... there Janne.

Pse no "robust branches" surprise we need you here.

It isn't the end of the world as there are many other options (FF-spellbound, IE-google toolbar, iespell).

Jeff

par James Robertson,

Thanks for the tip!  It saved me some headaches on localhost.  Now I need to find what's required to set aspell up on the production site (shared linux server).

Jim.

En réponse à James Robertson

par Kim Sihota,

Has anyone figured this out?  I had managed to get aspell set up and running on 1.45 but when I upgraded to 1.52 it failed.  I no longer see the spell check button.  I have tried a variety of options including moving aspell to the moodle root (this worked with the path problem with clamscan) but have not had any success.  I have also run into a strange behaviour using the Editor Settings page.  I can not alter the aspell path on this page but I am able to alter all the other settings.  I have had to make my changes directly to the config.php file.  I thought that it might have been a permissions problem with config.php but even with it set to 0777 no luck. I am using aspell 0.60.2 linux box (shared)

KS

En réponse à Kim Sihota

par Kim Sihota,

Ok,  I got my Spell Checker working.  My problem was that open_basedir was blocking me from from opening files outside of my home directory with php. The test file_exists() wasn't returning any error, only saying that aspell didn't exist in the specified path. When I replaced it with filesize() I got the open_basedir error.  Since the return for file_exists was negative the code in HTMLArea.php that displays the spell icon didn't display the spell icon. What I don't get is why I was still getting a file_exists error when I had copied aspell into my moodle root.  Since the file was within the home directory it should have worked properly or at least displayed the spell button.

KS 

En réponse à Kim Sihota

par Kim Sihota,

Solved my problem of not being able to update the aspell path via the Editor Settings page.

The issue was caused because in my previous version (1.45) I had a problem finding aspell and I corrected this by adding the path to the config.php file manually.  When I upgraded (1.5.2) and again had a problem with aspell I mistakenly assumed that the config.php file was the only place where the path info was stored.  This is obviously not correct (although it does appear to be from where it loads its initial info) because after removing the aspell path line from the config.php file the Editor Settings (aspell path) is now working as expected.
I also noted that in the en lang file (editor.php) "spellcheck" is not included and therfore the button hint in the Editor Settings page displays as spellcheck

KS