Slow / hung restore

Slow / hung restore

by James Robertson -
Number of replies: 2

My first term using Moodle with a production course ended a week ago.  I attempted to backup the course before beginning prepartion for fall.  I had backed it up a week before and had found I needed to exclude the questionnaire from the backup or the restore wouldn't work (I later found it was just the questionnaire user data that was the problem).

The course had 33 students, 8 quizzes, 29 forums and 34 assignments (not as intensive as it sounds -- students needed to participate in 36 activities total plus the final test to earn sufficient points).  The backup from the week before the final took 50 minutes to restore (2.6 ghz P4, WinXP, CPU at 100%).  Is that normal for a course this size?  I don't think of it as a large course.  It was backed up and restored using July 20 1.5.2+ (2005060220).  The file size is relatively small, approx 700 kb.

This week I upgraded my localhost to Aug 8 1.5.2+ (2005060222) and did my after-finals backup (backup site still 2005060220).  But when I tried to restore onto my localhost, after 50 minutes I got the pink error box.  It appears to have died in Categories in Gradebook.  Since the previous backup I have turned on the advanced features in gradebook, added some categories and divided the activities between them. 

Is there a known bug with gradebook categories in restore, or a known bug with backing up 2005060220 and restoring to 2005060222?  Or is the 50-minute restore time an indication that something else is a problem?

Thanks,

Jim.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to James Robertson

Re: Slow / hung restore

by Pamela Giles -
Gradebook/Categories is exactly where my restore fails too. You might check out my thread from a couple weeks ago: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=27892

I'm afraid I don't have a solution for you. I managed to get most of my course back (excluding gradebook, Books, and DFWikis) by sending the backup to Eloy.
In reply to Pamela Giles

Re: Slow / hung restore

by James Robertson -

Yes, I had seen that thread but hadn't recognized it as the same problem -- thanks for pointing it out.  The comment about questionnaire causing a restore crash was mine -- by removing the questionnaire from the backup, the restore completed OK. 

I am not really desperate at this point because my course is still intact and I can backup the database and moodle directory.  What concerns me is the general inability to complete a backup, which appears to be related to gradebook categories, as well as some other things.  While I don't need my course restored in order to recover it, I would be glad to forward it as a test case to Eloy or whoever else is working on this problem (let me know).

Has this been reported as a bug, distinct from #3800 (mentioned in the other discussion)?  Also, I am still wondering if 50 minutes restore time is reasonable for a relatively small course.

Thanks,

Jim.