New module: Object (for adding NLN materials)

New module: Object (for adding NLN materials)

by Helen Foster -
Number of replies: 128
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Thanks for everyone's comments and feedback to NLN materials - a solution, which has now been developed into the Object activity module. smile

This module allows teachers to browse and preview learning objects in a repository, then add them to their courses.

The Object module was developed as a solution to making the NLN materials (learning objects free for use in Further and Adult Education in the UK) easily available for teachers to use. However, as Andy D has noted, our solution may be used with any packages that contain top-level imsmanifest files e.g. packages created using Reload.

To install the Object module, please download the attached zip file and extract to moodle/mod. This will create a folder called object in the mod folder. Install the language pack by extracting en.zip in the object folder to moodle/lang. Visit your admin page to complete the installation.

To set up the repository, please copy learning objects to moodle/mod/object/repository. If an alternative location for the repository is preferred, then the file path to the new location may be set in Administration >> Configuration >> Modules >> Object.

The directory structure of the repository is used to create the navigation so it's important to set this up in a logical way to enable teachers to easily find relevant learning objects.

Future development of the Object module will include a meta-data search facility and integration into the Repository resource type in Moodle 1.6.

As always, comments or suggestions for improvement are appreciated! smile

PS Developing this module was lots of fun! big grin

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

Re: New module: Object (for adding NLN materials)

by Bernard Boucher -
Hi Helen,
             first thanks for your implication in Moodle in responding precisely and fastly to most questionsbig grin

I just install your new block on 1.5.2+ and it seem to work fine. But my repository is emptysad

Checking on Nln site, I didn't find some objects for testing your block here.

Do you know if it is possible to register a Québec College as a pseudo JISC or RSC and get a nominated representative download right?

Thanks for that addition to Moodle,

Bernard

In reply to Bernard Boucher

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Bernard,

Thanks for you kind words and for your interest in the Object module. smile

Unfortunately NLN materials download rights are only available for colleges in the UK. I'm sorry your repository is empty sad - I'll try to post a sample learning object tomorrow, alternatively you could try a Scorm package from the Moodle Exchange. smile

In reply to Bernard Boucher

Re: New module: Object (including sample learning objects)

by Helen Foster -

Hi Bernard,

Please find attached the latest version of the Object module for which the repository is not empty! surprise It contains two maths (or math wink) sample learning objects created using Reload - an IMS content package and a Scorm 1.2 package. There are a couple of minor fixes too (display enhancements).

Thanks again for your interest in the Object module. smile

In reply to Helen Foster

Re: New module: Object (including sample learning objects)

by Bernard Boucher -
Hi Helen,
              Québec is still in Canada and we have the same Queenwink. I will ask the Commonwealththoughtful.

More seriously I will try it and thanks again,

Bernard

In reply to Helen Foster

Sources for learning objects?

by Tim Allen -
Hi Helen and others,

The new moodle has got me more interested in learning objects and SCORM etc.  I am wondering if anyone knows any object repositories where I can download things freely?

I had a look at a couple (NLN and an Australian one called the Learning Federation) and they were restricted downloads that I couldn't access.  Where does an Australian working in a Korean university get access to a good learning objects repository?

Thanks in advance,  smile
Tim.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Rico Dredd -

Thanks to you and your team for this highly desired addition to UK Moodlers its appreciated or will be by many of us. big grin

Take a bow.approveapprove

In reply to Helen Foster

by Tim Allen -
It's great Helen! approve  I hope this becomes a standard part of Moodle 1.6. 

Tim.
In reply to Helen Foster

Re: New module: Object (with additional features)

by Helen Foster -

Thanks everyone for your further comments and feedback. smile

Please find attached yet another version of the Object module (including an English language pack) with the following additional features:

• As well as the object name being filled in when an object is chosen, the object description (if it exists) may also be filled in automatically. This option is enabled/disabled via Administration >> Configuration >> Modules >> Object.
  • Student access to the repository (as a "link to a file or website" resource), without an "add to course" button, may be provided with the URI http://yourmoodlesite.org/mod/object/finder.php?hidebutton=true.
  • For those of you in Further and Adult Education in the UK using the Object module for adding NLN materials to your courses, please note that additional code has been added to the Object module to correct certain reported errors in the NLN materials. (For further details of affected materials and of how the errors have been corrected, please email me.)

In reply to Helen Foster

by Andy Diament -
Hiya

Successfully installed the object - definitely better than the earlier 'resource' version. In fact, the order - choose object, automatically fill in name is a model of simplicity for moodle modules.

Even better, I was able to use the objects I had installed for the 'resource' version, which was in the same web root, but not inside moodle.

Quick question - when I set up the earlier version, I created a mysql database called nln; can I safely delete this or is it still used to keep track of the files in the repository?

All the best, Andy D
In reply to Andy Diament

by Helen Foster -
Hi Andy,

Thanks for your comments. smile

The module installs (and updates) automatically, creating the required database table (mdl_object). You may safely delete the nln database you created previously.

As you've found, the default location of the repository is moodle/mod/object/repository, however the file path to an alternative location may be set in Administration >> Configuration >> Modules >> Object.

Although there are several advantages to developing an activity module rather than a custom resource type, as I mentioned previously, we're definitely going to look into integration with the Repository resource type in Moodle 1.6. smile
In reply to Helen Foster

by Andy Diament -
Hiya
Good, I can loose the nln database and try this out in our production moodle.
Cheers
Andy D
In reply to Helen Foster

by J B -
Another vote of thanks from Cornwall College, an excellent piece of work which is much appreciated. Attached are a couple of files that make it work with postgreSQL - just unzip them into the mod/object/db folder and - well it worked for me anyway, so here's hoping wink

Thanks again.
In reply to J B

by Helen Foster -
Hi James,

Many thanks for your kind words and for your Object module contribution. approve
In reply to Helen Foster

by Dan Stowell -
Helen - this looks excellent.

Could this module be expanded a little to allow lecturers to import their own IMS content packages into their course, without needing to place them in a shared repository?

(My motivation for this is the hope that we can one day import WebCT "content modules" as IMS objects, making migration easier. But I think this would be generally very useful too)

Thanks
Dan
In reply to Dan Stowell

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

by Helen Foster -

Hi Dan and Paul,

Thanks for your interesting comments. It seems you would both like the display part of the module (using information from the imsmanifest file), without the repository part.

However, as I mentioned previously, the Object module was developed as a solution to making the NLN materials easily available for teachers to use. The materials were designed to be used in a variety of subject areas (e.g. Maths materials may be used in Engineering and Physics) and so the chance to preview them and the possibility of adding materials to more than one course are essential features of the module.

Would either of you consider including IMS content packages in a shared repository or would you require restricted access to them? Alternatively, could a simplified Scorm module perhaps meet your needs?

In reply to Helen Foster

In reply to Deleted user

by Dan Stowell -
Paul - I'd recommend looking at the "Lesson" module, since that allows you to "structure a series of HTML pages into a set order for students to work through" - it's a very nice tool.
In reply to Dan Stowell

In reply to Deleted user

by Andy Diament -

Hiya Paul

Questions are optional in the lesson module - I've created simple lessons just by pasting in the html content of web pages, but, yes you'll have to do the work of uploading photos and may need to reformat material; can't comment on loosing style sheets as I'm happy to use the moodle default format.

However, the questions can be added later and are useful for assessment, or for directing readers on different routes through the content, e.g. to review pages, skip work they already understand or look at extension tasks.

But, agreed, it's not as simple as the webct style mechanism of working your way through a series of pages

Andy D

In reply to Helen Foster

by Dan Stowell -
Hi Helen,

Thanks for your reply. Having explored Moodle a little further and discovered that the SCORM module can in fact import IMS CP (this feature doesn't seem to be documented - unless I am misunderstanding the relationship between "IMS SCORM" and "IMS CP"), I think the SCORM tool itself could well cover this requirement for us.

Our immediate aim is incompatible with a shared repository (we want lecturers to be able to import their content without necessarily committing to sharing!) but I'd like it to be a path we can start down in future...

Thanks
Dan 
In reply to Helen Foster

by Chris Lamb -

I've recently installed the Object module to our Moodle installations, and it's brilliant! Congratulations.  smile

Unfortunately although it works for most NLN materials we've tried, there's a problem with one or two NLN courses, which I suspect may be the course rather than the Object module.

The course is granada_CN1_Building your portfolio and I'm using the object_2005081800.zip version of the module. When I preview the object it seems to work fine, but when I add it to the course it firstly gives me a page telling me that permission has been refused, I presume because it's trying to list the contents of a folder rather than going to a specific file, because the path has been truncated. The path to the page in preview is
/repository/Information%20Technology/granada_CN1_Building%20your%20portfolio/htm/buildingur/00/intro_01.htm, but in the live view it's
/repository/Information%20Technology/granada_CN1_Building%20your%20portfolio/htmuildingur, which has been both truncated and corrupted.

Some of the graphics don't display in the live version either, again because the path seems to have become corrupted. For example, the path to a graphic in the preview version is
/repository/Information%20Technology/granada_CN1_Building%20your%20portfolio/images/general/interface/keyskills_header.jpg but the path to the live version is
/repository/Information%20Technology/granada_CN1_Building%20your%20portfolio/htm//buildingur/images/general/interface/keyskills_header.jpg - the /htm//buildingur bit is spurious and causes the picture to fail to load. The pages seem to lose style sheets as well, which I presume is caused by the same problem.

Has anyone come across this problem before? I haven't been able to find any reference to this on the Moodle site. Is there a workaround or later version of the module which will fix it, or should we just avoid using those NLN materials for now?

In reply to Chris Lamb

by Helen Foster -

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your kind words and for your feedback. smile It seems that all NLN materials supplied by Granada Learning are affected in the way that you describe. (If you've not done so already, please complete an NLN materials error report form.) Please find attached replacement files which will hopefully resolve the issue.

In case you're interested, here's what Tom (former Alton College student and Object module lead developer) had to say:

"The error was caused by the script not stripping the slashes from a $_GET variable in the viewer. When I wrote the code our server didnt have magic_quotes set so I didn't notice I had missed this out! I've also got it to fix the slash problem at an earlier stage while reading the imsmanifest, to make sure correct urls are sent in future."

In reply to Helen Foster

by Chris Lamb -

Hi Helen,

Many thanks for sorting this, and so quickly!  (Try getting that sort of service from Micro$oft...)

Following your comments yesterday about backslashes I looked at the imsmanifest file for one of the courses which didn't work, and found backslashes. I changed them all to forward slashes and it worked, as did another course when I changed them as well, so that was the issue.

The changed code you posted seems to have done the job, so you've saved me from a tedious morning checking imsmanifests for backslashes.  Thanks!  smile   Thanks to Tom as well for actually writing the code.

Regards

Chris

In reply to Helen Foster

by Wyn Griffith -

Hello from Yeovil College in deepest Somerset - just wanted to say thanks also

wink

We've just installed the object module and added a sample of the NLN materials initially.

It's extremely useful and an important new development, allowing staff to easily browse for the materials they want before adding them to a course. Nice one.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Rob Englebright -

well done, cracking job.

Can we have a write up for the Ferl site please!!

I'd very much like to do a case study on this once the staff have had a cahnce to evaluate it's effectiveness.

Cheers

Rob

In reply to Helen Foster

by Charlie Owen -

I just wanted to say a very big thank you for this module. Twenty minutes work resulted in our new Moodle installation having the ability to browse all of the NLN materials that we care to download.

Were only just delving into Moodle (after having nothing but bad experiences with Learnwise) and this module is the icing on the cake. I hope that it is merged into Moodle 1.6 and that the highly anticipated search facility follows. smile

In fact, should there be a dedicated forum for this module now? It's certainly proved popular enough.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
This module is now in cvs:/contrib/object and can be found on the modules download page, at least until it becomes properly incorporated in the new Moodle 1.6 repository resource system.   Good work guys!
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Clive Gould -

I've just downloaded the object module from the modules download page and seemingly successfully installed it in Moodle 1.4 running under Linux.

When I go to add an object to a course I can sucessfully browse the maths objects and they work fine in preview mode.

However, as soon as I choose one of the objects and add it to a course all I get is a blank screen.

Suggestions welcomed...

In reply to Clive Gould

by Helen Foster -
Hi Clive,

The only suggestion I can make is for you to upgrade to Moodle 1.5+. thoughtful

Rather than making the Object module backwards compatible, we're committed to integrating it into the Repository resource type in Moodle 1.6. tongueout
In reply to Helen Foster

by Clive Gould -

Helen

I've successfully installed the object module into our Moodle version 1.5.2+ evaluation VLE and it works fine, so it appears that the object module is incompatible with Moodle 1.4

We're planning on upgrading the main VLE to Moodle 1.5 shortly.

Thanks again

Clive

In reply to Helen Foster

by Gareth Watkins -

Hi,

I'm attempting to install the object module into Moodle via FTP at work but the folder mod/object isn't being recognised by Moodle to install from Admin page.

I have installed no problems on my own personal hosting (it's a great module by the way!).

We are running Linux Suse, PHP Version 4.3.10, Moodle 1.5.+.

Any ideas? server?

Thanks in advance!

regards Gareth

In reply to Gareth Watkins

by Gareth Watkins -

Hi All,

Please disregard my post I have solved my problem!

Thanks.

Gareth

In reply to Helen Foster

by Tony Butler -

Hi Helen,

This module is exactly what I've been wishing for since the first round of NLN materials were developed - many thanks to yourself and to Tom! big grin

It took me less than 2 days to get all the NLN materials in the repository - something that took about 6 months with our previous VLE (the same one you used to have wink). The only problem I'm having is getting the index to display alphabetically - at the moment all the categories and the materials within them seem to be ordered completely randomly, but I notice in your site they're all arranged as they should be. Is this something that should just happen automatically, or is there something I need to do?

Thanks again for this fantastic development!

Tony

In reply to Tony Butler

by Helen Foster -
Hi Tony,

Thanks for your kind words. It's a pleasure to be able to share the Object module! smile

Regarding making the index display alphabetically, please check that the repository folder has files/folders arranged by name (as opposed to size, type etc.).
In reply to Helen Foster

by Tony Butler -

Thanks Helen, but I've tried that already. Changing the file/folder view in the file manager on the server (is that what you meant or is there another way?) doesn't have any effect on how the index is rendered in the browser unfortunately.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

For reference, I've attached a screenshot of our index - I can't see any kind of pattern in the order it displays the folders.

Attachment index.gif
In reply to Tony Butler

by Chris Lamb -

I've just been looking at our repository, which has much the same collection of folders as yours, and it displays in perfect alphabetical order!  In fact no matter what I do from Windows Explorer on the server, I can't get it to change - it resolutely insists on displaying them properly.

What operating system are you using?  I'm wondering if the object module is using some underlying name which isn't the same as the visible folder name, and sorting on that.

Chris

In reply to Chris Lamb

by Tony Butler -

Hi Chris,

We're running Moodle 1.5.2+ on SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 with Apache 2.0.49, MySQL 4.0.18 and PHP 4.3.4 (phew)!

Cheers,

Tony

In reply to Tony Butler

by Chris Lamb -

Hi Tony,

We're running on a Windows 2003 server, so I wonder if the problem lies with Linux?  I know absolutely zilch about Linux, but I know that Windows, even though it shows long file/folder names, internally uses short ones which follow the old eight-letter format.  It creates them from the first six letters of the filename, then a tilde, then a number, so for example if you had a folder called computer it would become comput~1, then if you created another one called computing it would be called comput~2, and so on.  This works up to comput~9, then after that I think it just generates random strings of characters for the names.  It occurs to me that if Linux is generating random short names right from the start your folders might be being sorted in the order of those names instead of the visible ones.

As I said, what I know about Linux could be written on the back of a postage stamp and still leave room for the glue.  Any Linux gurus out there?

Cheers

Chris

In reply to Chris Lamb

by Helen Foster -
Hi Tony,

The index is generated using the PHP function readdir. This returns the filenames in the order in which they are stored by the file system.

Please find attached replacement finder.php, which modifies this behaviour by reading the files into an array and then sorting the array to order them alphabetically. If you have a folder that contains both materials and other child folders, then the folders will be listed first, followed by the materials.

Chris, thanks for investigating Tony's issue. I didn't know about file names eight-letter format. smile
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

Ang: Re: New module: Object (for adding NLN materials)

by Jens Gammelgaard -
Picture of Translators
Hi Helen,

What a great object module. Thanks a lot for sharing that.

Am I right if I have exepienced that it can everything that the SCORM module can and then I can add the repository part too?

The SCORM module has one nice extra service, which is that I don't need to unpack the SCORMpackages. I know it is not a big deal, but is a part of the roadmap of this module?

BR
Jens
In reply to Jens Gammelgaard

Re: Ang: Re: New module: Object

by Helen Foster -
Hi Jens,

Thanks for your kind words and for your interest in the Object module. smile

Scorm packages may be displayed in a course using either the Scorm module or the Object module.

The Scorm module includes tracking, such as how long a user spends on each section, whereas the Object module simply displays the package as a resource, hence the plan to include it as a repository resource type in 1.6.

The Scorm module requires teachers to upload each Scorm package to the course files folder, whereas the Object module allows teachers to browse and preview Scorm packages in a repository, then easily add them to their courses. The repository facilitates sharing of Scorm packages across courses, however only Moodle admins are able to add packages to the repository.

I hope this explains things. Thanks again for your interest. smile

In reply to Helen Foster

by Jens Gammelgaard -
Picture of Translators

Hi Helen,

Thanks a lot for your explanation, I think the SCORM viewer in your Object module is very nice.

Are there plans about making your module able to trace, if yes - about when would it be possible, if no; why not?

And are there plans about making it possible to look directly in the zipped SCORM packages, I see they have to be unzipped at the moment in order to make it viewable, if yes - about when would it be possible, if no; why not?

And the last 2 cent question - how can we make the SCORM module look in the repository in the meantime?

Kind Regards
Jens

by Paul Chapman -

Hi all. We quite like the fact that the Object and SCORM modules co-exist. The main reason being that we do purchase SCORM compliant objects and these are licensed to a fixed number of students. The SCORM module is excellent for this, as we can control access by uploading the objects into 'autorised' course codes.

To me, the Object Repository fulfills a completely different role i.e. free-for-all resource browsing/sharing.

I'd vote for the status quo.

Paul

In reply to Paul Chapman

by Helen Foster -
Hi Jens,

Thanks for your comments. smile

As mentioned previously, the Object module was developed as a solution to making the NLN materials (learning objects free for use in Further and Adult Education in the UK) easily available for teachers to use. However, I've greatly appreciated the interest from the wider Moodle community! approve

The Sharable Content Object Reference Model (SCORM) is very complicated (please see the ADL Scorm Frequently Asked Questions) - I certainly don't understand it all! Bobo has done a fantastic job with the Scorm module. All the Object module does is display Scorm packages as resources using information contained in imsmanifest files. As Martin says, it should be included as a repository resource type in 1.6, rather than being a separate activity module.

I don't know whether it would be possible to develop the Scorm module so that teachers are able to preview their Scorm packages in a repository before adding them as Scorm activities to their course. There will most likely be users like Dan, Paul B and Paul C, though, who don't want their Scorm packages included in a repository. A workaround might be to provide access to the repository without an "add to course" button using the URI http://yourmoodlesite.org/mod/object/finder.php?hidebutton=true.

Paul C, thanks for explaining why you like the Scorm and Object modules as they are! wink
In reply to Helen Foster

by Jens Gammelgaard -
Picture of Translators
Hi Helen & Bobo,

I also like your Object module as it is - it was just some questions I got since we all have access to this innovations hotspot : moodle.org - then I just wondered why not the synergy of the SCORM player module and yours happended from the beginning, since your module also has a SCORM player ability. And the GUI of the object module is the finest of the two - in my opinion.

And if Martin says it should be included in the 1.6, then I will be a good patient Moodler and think it must be a different repository mentioned in the Roadmap - where this will be under version 1.7 smile

So, Bobo - your job done is fantastic, - which posibilities do you see here for letting your SCORM player find the packages in the Object repository?

Kind Regards
Jens

by Roberto Pinna -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi to all,
I tried the great Object module and I already thought how we can include object finder in the scorm module.
The main problem is the repository. We can try to use as a default repository the moddata directory. We need also find a way to navigate inside the zip packages.
I think this is an hard work but we can try to do it.

Cheers,
Bobo.
In reply to Roberto Pinna

by Paul Chapman -

Hi Roberto, Helen et al.

This sounds good. However, please do bear 'big' Moodle users in mind. We run 16 separate Moodles across our College and I have tweaked the Object Module script so that they all share the same Content Repository on our Web Server.

I've attached a screenshot of our Config settings.

Present SCORM module cannot be shared...

Paul

Attachment object_module_settings.JPG
In reply to Paul Chapman

by Deleted user -

Hi Paul,

Object is great and seeing this just now I wonder if you could steer me a little.

Our server is split into 3 drives and I want the repository to sit on the data drive with moodledata but I can't seem to get the path combinations right. Object is currently setup up as per the download ../mod/object/etc.

Gerald 

In reply to Roberto Pinna

by Helen Foster -
Hi Bobo,

Thanks for your kind words and for your interest in the Object module. smile A big THANK YOU for your Scorm module. approve
In reply to Helen Foster

by Tony Butler -

Wow - talk about a quick response! big grin

It all works perfectly now - thanks so much Helen, and to you too Chris.

Tony

In reply to Helen Foster

Re: New module: Object (for adding NLN materials) XML Issue

by Paul Chapman -

Likewise, we at Leicester College are really impressed with the object Module. Well done guys!

Can anyone help me with an XML problem? I have tried to integrate a test learning object created with E-Cat. This is a bit of software that we received via the JISC WM RSC and which originated from the HLSI Project in Yorkshire.

Paul

Moodle Error Picture

I've attached a jpg showing the Object Browser Link display and subsequent error message. I am assuming it is a manifest problem, but am unclear where to start looking.
All help gratefully received.
In reply to Paul Chapman

by Heather P -
The bit on the image gstring xml:lang = "en>  etc. I got just the same earlier today using Relaod to create a bit of content. I finally cured it by downloading a later version of the Object.zip file  The version I installed to begin with was downloaded from one of Helen's postings and when I finally decided that the Module couldn't be that difficult to make work I picked up a late version from the CSV so it could be that you haven't got the latest version either. It could be a read herring but it is worth a look.
Regards
In reply to Heather P

by Paul Chapman -

Heather/Helen

Thanks for the advice. Got Reload working in the latest version. Suspect we might use that to generate a manifest for E-cat's files.

big grin Paul

In reply to Paul Chapman

by Helen Foster -
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your kind words too. smile

You're welcome to email me a test learning object if Heather's suggestion does not resolve the issue. (Please download the latest version from the Moodle Downloads: Activity Modules.)
In reply to Helen Foster

by James Depow -
Hi Helen,

I am using your Object module on a test site, and like it very much. I expect we will use it on our production site for similiar reasons as you and your organization.

I am testing out CourseGenie and generated a course both as a LRN IMS package and a SCORM v 1.2 package. I copied the folders to the repository folder and:
  • with the LRN IMS packaged it worked fine.
  • with the SCORM package, it did not work. In fact I could not select any of the objects in the repositiry (your Math examples) and received the following error message: Fatal error : Call to a member function on a non-object in c:\program files\easyphp1-8\www\moodle\mod\object\ims_nav_builder.php on line 107
Once I deleted the SCORM package, everything was back to normal.

My question is should I be able to create a SCORM package and use it in the Object module? And a followup is, regardless of what package I use, as long as there is the manifest file I should be able to download to the repository and access it?

Thanks,

Jim
In reply to James Depow

Re: New module: Object

by Helen Foster -
Hi Jim,

Thanks for your interest in the Object module. smile

You are correct in thinking that any package containing a top-level imsmanifest file should work in the repository. However, we're always happy to investigate any packages that don't work! Please could you email me a sample package.
In reply to Helen Foster

by James Depow -

Hi Helen.

I sent you two zip files: a SCORM and a LRN IMS.

Jim

In reply to Helen Foster

by James Depow -
Hi Helen.

The SCORM zip package as discussed.

Thanks,

Jim
In reply to James Depow

by Helen Foster -
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the Scorm package. We've not had chance to test any CourseGenie packages before now so it was very helpful. smile

Please find attached replacement ims_nav_builder.php which should resolve the issue.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Paul Andrews -
Hello.

I made this small powerpoint to show teachers how to use this great module - feel free to use/edit as you want.

big grin

It's here.
In reply to Paul Andrews

by Helen Foster -
Cool, thanks Paul! approve
In reply to Helen Foster

by Ulrike Montgomery -
Helen,

Your object module is great. I'm about to teach a course for other teachers on how to make scorms using eXe and then share them via your object module. I have 2 questions:
1. Will there be a possibility in 1.6 for teachers to deposit scorms into the repository or do they need admin rights with FTP access?
2. That's kind of an official question on behalf of our ministry of education in Stuttgart. We checked out the NLN learning objects. They are great - especially the Business English scorms - they match our curriculum 100%. Of course we know that they are only for teachers in the UK. Is there a possibilty to contact the NLN to see if Baden-Württemberg could actually buy some LOs from them for our schools. What is the best game plan.
I really appreciate your help.

Ulrike

PS: Paul, thanks for posting the presentation. I can really use it for my course
In reply to Ulrike Montgomery

by Helen Foster -
Hi Ulrike,

Thanks for your kind words and for your interest in the Object module. smile

Regarding 1.6, our first priority will be include the Object module as a repository resource type. The Object module assumes that the repository is the responsibility of the administrator only, however the Scorm module allows teachers to upload packages. Perhaps Bobo will come up with a clever solution!

Regarding purchasing NLN materials, I will pass on your request, though please don't hold out much hope. The copyright situation is very complex. Currently the NLN materials are free for use in Further and Adult Education in the UK, including sixth form colleges, however secondary schools with sixth forms are not allowed to use them. thoughtful
In reply to Helen Foster

by Ulrike Montgomery -
Helen,

Thanks a lot for the info and your help. If nothing else, maybe we could just find out which company they hired to do these LOs - then we could place our own order with them.

Ulrike

by Hansruedi (Lori) Lorenz -

Hi Ulrike

Check out this Website www.flexiblelearning.net.au/toolbox/

you might find something here.

In reply to Hansruedi (Lori) Lorenz

by Ulrike Montgomery -
Hansruedi,

Thanks a lot, I've already checked out their website - they have very nice material, especially in the technical fields. In fact, I'll show them to my colleagues who teach our car mechanics. I saw in your profile that you are also in the car sector. Are you Swiss or German or do you speak German? If so, can I forward you email address to my colleagues? They would love to meet a Moodler in their area of interest (which I can understand - since all I ever talk about are my language courses) and they don't speak too much English.

Grüße aus Deutschland.

Ulrike

by Rob Englebright -

Hi Ulrike, I was visiting Helen today to write up a case study for Becta on the Object Module, and she highlighted your request.

I used to run the Implementation team here to promote the use of the nln materials, so have a fairly good knowledge of the materials.

I have passed on your request on to the project managers responsible for the nln materials.

I seem to remember the rights for the materials to be used outside of the UK reside with the developers, which in the case of the Business materials could be one of 3 developers I think... If you can highlight the units for me I'll find you the person to contact.

Rob Englebright
Services and Communities Manager FE
British Educational Communications and Technology Agency (Becta)

Millburn Hill Road
, Science Park
Coventry CV4 7JJ
Tel: 07747 458121
Fax: 024 7641 1418
http://ferl.becta.org.uk
In reply to Rob Englebright

by Ulrike Montgomery -
Ron,

Thank you for getting in touch with me. We are particularly interested in the
Epic/OLC material. I would appreciate it very much if you could find the person to contact.
Thanks again,

Ulrike

by Rob Englebright -

I had a reply, from the materials team with details of the contact at adval.. I've asked for a contact at Epic.. (not sure what you mean by OLC).

Cheers Rob

by Rob Englebright -

Apparently the contact is DennisQ@adval.co.uk

UKLearn Online Director of Business Development

UKLearn Online represents all the developers involved in the nln materials projects.

Let me know how you get on

Rob

by Ulrike Montgomery -
Rob,

I've already contacted Dennis. I'll let you know how we'll get on. I don't know what OLC is - It was next to epic on the site , so I thought it was another company.

Thanks a lot,

Ulrike
In reply to Paul Andrews

by Chris Lamb -

Hi Paul,

Thanks for that.  One question - how did you get the dropdown and the button to refer to "NLN Object" and not just "Object"?  Does it involve tweaking the PHP or is there an easier way?

Thanks

Chris

In reply to Chris Lamb

by Paul Andrews -
We did!

Here's the edited Language pack file - Copy it to : wwwroot\lang\en\

smile

In reply to Paul Andrews

by Chris Lamb -

Aha!  It's easier than I thought.  Thanks!  smile

Chris

In reply to Chris Lamb

by Helen Foster -
Hi Chris,

For future reference, please note that, as for all language strings, the name "Object" may be edited via Administration >> Configuration >> Language >> Edit strings.

The name "Object" was chosen with the help of Julian Ridden, who trialled the module with Australian TLF learning objects. smile
In reply to Helen Foster

by Chris Lamb -

Hi Helen,

Thanks - I'd forgotten that method of changing strings!  smile

Regards

Chris

In reply to Helen Foster

by James Depow -

Hi Helen,

The replacement ims_nav_builder.php file you sent did the trick.  I can now access both the SCORM and LRN formats in the Object repository.  I will be implementing this module on our production server.

Thanks for the module and the help in making it work.

Regards,

Jim

In reply to Helen Foster

by Chris Jeffries -

Further to Helen's comments on search. I decided to start work on this myself.

The repository itself is potentially VERY large and straggly, and would be very inefficient to search directly. Therefore, I am writing a routine that will walk the repository looking for imsmanifest files and then extract relevant information from them and store it in a database table.

I have chosen to extract the following from the manifest....

• metadata.general.title.langstring
  • each of the metada.general.keywords.langstring
  • each of the the first level item.title.langstring from the default organisation.

I have chosen to store the path to the file relative to 'repository. This means that you can move the whole repository without rebuilding the database table.

At the moment, you need to rebuild the table from scratch when you want to update it. In the longer term, that will need to be fixed somehow.

The re-build currently takes about 12 mins for the NLN set of materials on a 1ghz 1GB RAM pc under WinXP.

The search is just an alternative button to the browse button. At the moment the code is MySQL specific, but when I am more familiar with datalib.php, I'll make that more portable.

Ideas and input at this stage would be welcome. In particular, does anyone know if there are standards for how to query repositories over the web and what if anything is returned from them.

O, and when I get to the point of implementing the "Add to Course" button, I want to see if I can stitch it into Bobo's SCORM work so that these objects will record scores properly.

Finally, I have this thought in the back of my mind of using SCOs not so much to create learning objects, but as a way of organising atomic resources, so i was thinking about ways of linking into items INSIDE a SCO and adding these to a course. I am thinking of things like pictures and so on. For these, an extra button in the HTMLarea editor would be good. I've no idea how to go about doing that though. That code looks pretty complex to me and Javascript is not my strong point.

In reply to Chris Jeffries

by Helen Foster -
Hi Chris,

Thanks for your comments and for the work you are doing. A search feature would be great! approve

We're currently working on an object repository resource type for Moodle 1.6...
In reply to Helen Foster

by Chris Jeffries -

Once I've got the code working, I'll send it across, for your perusal.

Some help getting it to install cleanly would be good.

BTW, it uses FOUR additional tables sad. These will need to be set up on installation.

In reply to Chris Jeffries

by Julian Ridden -
As always I am keen to help test these new features as you ready your code. I have a large collection of LO's that are begging for a search function smile
In reply to Julian Ridden

by Chris Jeffries -
Soon. First cut is done. Helen has it for the moment to check it is OK with the rest of the development. Installation is a bit ragged at the moment with tables needing to be set up i manually, and no backup built in etc etc.
In reply to Helen Foster

Svar: Object Module lang/sv

by Anders Berggren -

Hi,

Here's the Swedish translation.

Cheers, Anders

In reply to Helen Foster

by sina salehi -

Hi

The material content will not show when the site language is utf-8 .

Regards,

In reply to Helen Foster

by Andy Diament -

Hi Helen

I don't know what your roadmap look slike, or if I missed something....

Feature request - work with zipped packages, so  that the admin loads zipped packages into the repository, and the module unzips the package to a new folder on 1st use.

I tried writing a linux script to do this but failed miserably!

Am I asking too much?

Cheers, Andy D

In reply to Andy Diament

by Helen Foster -
Hi Andy,

Thanks for your continuing interest in the Object module. smile It's being developed into a New resource type: Object repository/ims resource.

The good news is that admins may upload zipped packages to the central repository (located in the site files folder). In addition, teachers may upload packages to their course files folder.

However, although the resource type works fine on Windows, there are currently some problems when using Linux. thoughtful Thus, your help with testing etc. would be much appreciated... Please check the discussion New resource type: Object repository for further details.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Andy Diament -

Hiya

Found it, will try ims.zip in windows and linux, hopefully next week

Andy D

In reply to Helen Foster

by Daniel O'Connell -
Hi Helen and All-

Congrats on some great work.

I hope this is the right spot for this question but I was wondering how you got the navigation to show up in the objects like the cadiovascular object. That is really well done.

Thanks,
Dan
In reply to Daniel O'Connell

by Helen Foster -
Hi Dan,

Thanks for your kind words.

Basically, the navigation is built on the fly by a php script, which uses information contained in the object's imsmanifest file.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Deleted user -

Hi Helen,

wonder if you could help with a dummies guide to changing where the repository folder sits.

1. Our server is split into 3 drives, Web: Data: & C:. I've tried lots of path combinations to have object identify the repository on the Data drive with no success.

2. To put the repository on a different server.

Thanks

Gerald

In reply to Deleted user

by Helen Foster -
Hi Gerald,

I'm sorry I don't know enough to be able to help you. All I can say is that I think you need to use symbolic links to achieve 1. and it's not possible to achieve 2. Hopefully someone else will provide a full explanation. thoughtful
In reply to Deleted user

by Tony Delahunty -

Hi Gerald, Helen, and NLNers.

Did anyone manage to get the repository path to point to the moodledata drive and so away from the php source area? 

This is the only thing now holding us back from publishing all the NLN Materials in our Moodle community.  The module is a great solution,  thanks,  Tony

In reply to Tony Delahunty

by Chris Lamb -

You can have your NLN Repository outside of your Moodle (which is what we do, because we've got a dozen Moodles pointing to it), but it has to be in a location which has a relative path from the object's PHP script AND a web URL.  So as long as you put it somewhere where you can set object_dirroot to something like ../../../repository and object_webroot to something like http://www.mymoodle/repository it should work.

For security reasons your moodledata directory is usually put somewhere where it can't be found via a URL, so you wouldn't be able to put your repository there.

HTH

Chris

In reply to Chris Lamb

by Tony Delahunty -

Thanks, Chris, I realise we could use a relative path, but I actually did want to locate the NLN Materials repository, like the moodledata drive, away from a URL-visible area, precisely because, at least on my reading of their licence, we can't just post up NLN Materials on a publicly accessible site - and we like to keep our Moodle homepage visible to guests. 

Assuming it's not possible, I guess we just have to wait for the new Repository resource type in 1.6, which would seem to resolve this access protection issue. What do other (UK FE and ACL) providers do?  Do we just assume that since no-one could 'guess' the URL, repository materials like the NLNs are not exposed?  

In reply to Helen Foster

by Chris Swaine -

Hiya Helen et al,

Feeling a little dumb. I have installed the object module ok. FTP'd a couple of the NLN objects into the correct folder.

When I browse the 'object index' , it happily shows the titles and navigation.  However, the main body of the page shows 'page can not be found'.

This suggests a path is wrong when I click on the object's navigational links. This is the same for all three objects. Any suggestions?

...Chris...

In reply to Chris Swaine

by Helen Foster -
Hi Chris,

Please could you double-check object_dirroot and object_webroot in Administration >> Configuration >> Modules >> Object.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Dan Jeffs -
Hi, a quick query.  I've installed the Object module and it works fine.  However, how do tutors add other NLN modules to the repository.  They are likely to either download them from the NLN website or copy them from the NLN resources CD. The only was that seems possible is through a site admin uploading the zip files manually, which isn't a practical solution due to there being only 3 site admins and 200 tutors!  I ideally don't want to have to set up FTP accounts for them either..  Any help would be appreciated smile
In reply to Dan Jeffs

by Helen Foster -
Hi Dan,

It's only admins who may add packages to the repository because it's generally only admins who have NLN materials download rights. It's a quick job to unzip to the repository directory. Tutors are then immediately able to browse and preview new materials and choose whether to add them to their courses.

However, if you require tutors to upload their own packages, you may wish to consider using the IMS content package resource type.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Geoffrey Rowland -
Picture of Plugin developers
Helen et al.

We have noticed that in the most recent release of NLN materials, some objects do not display, and indeed prevent the display of 'sibling' objects in the same folder, at least on our server.

The offending objects have an imsmanifest.xml file that starts with <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?> rather than the usual <?xml version="1.0"?>. When opened in Notepad they have Unicode format rather than the usual ANSI.

Changing the format to ANSI (Save as from Notepad) seems to fix the problem. Is this a sensible or recommended course of action? Alternatively, should we be changing any Linux/Apache/PHP/Moodle settings on our server to accommodate different text formats for the imsmanifest.xml files? We are currently running on Fedora core 4 with XAMPP 1.4.16 (providing Apache 2.0.54, MySQL 4.1.14, PHP 5.0.4) and Moodle 1.5.3. We are still using the NLN Object module rather than the new NLN Repository resource type.

Any advice from NLN/SCORM/XML/Unicode gurus gratefully received.

In reply to Geoffrey Rowland

by Helen Foster -
Hi Geoffrey,

We came across the problem you describe too, and reported it to the NLN materials team. Apparently, the UTF-16 encoding was a mistake and replacement materials with UTF-8 encoding will be released in due course.

In the meantime, please find attached replacement ims_nav_builder.php and finder.php files which should hopefully resolve the problem.
In reply to Helen Foster

by John Ridge -
How do I escape the JISC Loop?
Trying to download nln materials leads me to the JISC website.
It expects request from Authorised Institutions.
My College runs WebCT. Me no like.
InsteadI have my own website ( tangledbank.co.uk ) with the best bits under Moodle.

How can I escape the JISC / nln loop and put their stuff on my site?

Am I overlooking the obvious?
cheers

john
In reply to John Ridge

by Andy Diament -

Hi John

Each FE College normally has 1 person who has rights to download NLN materials on behalf of that college - you would need to negotiate with him/her to actually lay your hands on the packages and get permission to load them on to an external site. That person may be the IT manager, ILT manager, VLE admin or someone.

Unfortunately I think it would be against the NLN licences to go 'beneath the radar' and load materials on your own site without the college's involvement.

Hope this helps

Andy D

In reply to Andy Diament

by John Ridge -
Thanks for your prompt reply...
Its pretty much what I suspected.

I work in FE.
Our excellent current ILT manager is leaving on Friday and there is, as yet, no replacement.

I'm not that impressed by the relevant nln stuff that I have seen.
Too Micro$entric.
Too centred on the filling empty vessels model
Too much information on each page
and so forth

I just thought it might be worth management kudos points to establish a link.

candidly

john
In reply to John Ridge

by Andy Diament -
I guess the key is to use the materials very selectively. I find that some of those I use in physics and electrical engineering are quite nice and interactive.

Hope you find  a way forward and an IT manager who could be persuaded of moodle benefits, maybe enough to give you a supported installation

Cheers,

Andy D
In reply to Andy Diament

by Fiona McBride -

I was wondering if anyone could help me out...

We are testing Moodle and currently have it installed on a PC which is acting as a server so that we can see how it works. We use the NLN materials here on our current VLE (Learnwise) and so wanted to see how they would work on Moodle. I managed to successfully install the NLN Objects module and then downloaded a couple of the NLNs into the repository.

All went well until I tried to then add one of the NLN materials to a course. I get the following message when I try to add one of the materials:

Access forbidden!
You don't have permission to access the requested object. It is either read-protected or not readable by the server.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

Error 403
04/24/06 14:15:58
Apache/2.2.0 (Win32) mod_ssl/2.2.0 OpenSSL/0.9.8a mod_autoindex_color PHP/5.1.1

So, it seems that the module is working fine but, for some reason, accessing the NLN materials is blocked.

Our IT guys are stumped and so am I.

Any help would be appreciated.

Fiona

In reply to Fiona McBride

by Helen Foster -
Hi Fiona,

Just wondering whether the repository is in its default location (mod/object/repository) or elsewhere? Sorry I'm no expert on fixing 403 errors, though perhaps Zbigniew's advice in the discussion don't have permission to access /user/view.php may be of help, otherwise a Google search.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Fiona McBride -

Hi Helen

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the repository is in its default location.

I've done Google searches and found a number of solutions (.htaccess docs etc) but none of them have worked thus far.

I'll check out the link you have provided there and see if that's any help.

Cheers,

Fiona

In reply to Helen Foster

by Karen Williams -

Help for a newbie!

I'm OK with the using of Moodle, but I'm trying to get to grips with the innards and seem to be going round in circles. I've installed Easy PHP on my local machine and the latest beta v 1.6, along with the Object Module. However, I don't appear to get the repository showing as it does in the Alton College Sandbox. In fact, I had to reinstall Moodle following error messages being thrown up regarding unassigned PHP variables.

The only difference I'm now getting after reinstalling everything is that under resource instead of 'add an IMS Content Package', I get 'Deploy an IMS Content Package'. It still goes to the usual files folder and although the maths examples are sitting in the repository (in Moodle/Mod/Object/Repository), I can't seem to access them through the resource selector.

Please tell me what I'm doing wrong? I've just spent a good couple of days pulling my hair out!

Many thanks in advance.

Karen Williams
Oxford & Cherwell Valley College

In reply to Karen Williams

by Chris Lamb -

If you can give me the URL of your Moodle, and a login, I'll have a look and see what it's doing and see if I can see what's wrong.  (You might prefer to email me with a login - my address is in my profile.)

Chris

In reply to Karen Williams

Re: Object module and IMS content package

by Helen Foster -
Hi Karen,

Firstly, apologies for any confusion between the Object module and the IMS content package, and for not writing any documentation before now. (My college is being inspected next week! surprise)

For anyone starting with Moodle 1.6, the Object module isn't required, since the IMS content package supports a repository. Please check Moodle Docs IMS content package for instructions on how to enable the repository.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Karen Williams -

Thanks very much to Helen and Chris for your help on this! I've now managed to get the repository working in the IMS content package and it's fabulous big grin

Chris I wasn't able to send you a URL as it's on my local machine as a test, but now I know what to do, we'll more than likely be installing the object module onto our current (non beta) version of our working Moodle site.

Thanks for helping me, I was running round in circles and with your help, I managed to do in less than five minutes, what I hadn't managed to do in two days!

Thanks again
Karen

In reply to Helen Foster

by Paul Andrews -

Ah - I don't think I can switch to IMS when we go 1.6 - The staff would kill me if they had to re-wire up their NLN objects!

I'm a victim of Alton's sucess...

big grin

In reply to Paul Andrews

by Helen Foster -
Hi Paul,

Please note that it would be possible to develop a script to automatically convert all Object module activities to IMS CP resource type activities (to be run once by admin) and so asking staff to make the changes would not be necessary.

However, assuming you're happy with the Object module in Moodle 1.6, let's just wait for the Repository API in Moodle 1.7. approve
In reply to Helen Foster

by Ger Tielemans -

Helen,

for SCORM I have two options: small scorm packages can be installed as a Module, big Scorm packages can be installed with the course format for SCORM.

It would be very nice if the IMS/CP could be used in the same: In that case I could share a course outline with people using another VLE (I don't understand that, but they exist smile)

.. or can I use the Scorm format for this too?

If not, are you working on such solution?

In reply to Helen Foster

Object module not working in Moodle 1.6

by Tony Butler -
Hi Helen,

We're planning to upgrade to Moodle 1.6+ on 19th July so I've been doing some trial runs to make sure everything goes smoothly on the day. Unfortunately the object module doesn't seem to work after the upgrade - I'm just getting the error message "A required parameter was missing".

I've even tried adding new objects to a course, and the objects preview just fine in the finder.php window, but as soon as I hit the "Save changes" button and Moodle tries to display the object, the error message appears.

This has happened several times now on two different test servers, one upgraded from 1.5.4 and the other from an old development version of 1.6 from last October. In both cases the objects displayed fine immediately before the upgrade, and nothing else has been changed apart from the fact that Moodle has been upgraded (I've checked the repository path and so on to make absolutely sure).

Do you have any ideas what could be causing this - and has anyone else encountered the same problem? I really want to upgrade to 1.6 but we have over 500 instances of the object module!

Many thanks in advance,

Tony
In reply to Tony Butler

Re: Object module in Moodle 1.6

by Helen Foster -
Hi Tony,

Thanks for reporting your experience of the Object module in Moodle 1.6. Please find attached replacement files view.php and index.php which will hopefully resolve the problem.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Tony Butler -
That works great - thank you so much Helen, and such a quick response too!  big grin

Tony
In reply to Tony Butler

by Helen Foster -
Hi Tony,

Thanks for your feedback, we'll update the files in CVS. Please note that it was Andy who solved the problem. approve
In reply to Helen Foster

by IT Services -
This is a very useful module. I am using it at the Australian School that I work for to enable the teachers to access The Learning Federation Learning Objects (TLF LOs).

I needed to make a slight change to finder.php so that the latest TLF LO title's appeared correctly. The problem is caused because in the TLF LO xmlmanifest file the <imsmd:langstring> node contains additional information ie: <imsmd:langstring xml:lang="en">. I have updated the getTitleFromIMS($xml) function in finder.php to now use a regular expression to return the title no matter what additional attributes the <imsmd:langstring> may contain.

I hope this saves someone some time. Hopefully, the new code can be used to update the existing downloadable version of the Object module.
In reply to IT Services

Re: New module: Object (TLF LO code added)

by Helen Foster -
Hi Jessica,

Thanks for your code approve which has been added to the latest version of the Object module.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Kieran Whitbread -
Hi Helen

Thanks for the excellent object module, the NLN materials are so much more useful now.

I've just installed the latest version and found a very minor error in finder.php, line 438 seems to have a few left over characters causing a parse error:  };

If any one reading this is having trouble with the "Browse for an Object" button, you just need to delete line 438 from ./mod/object/finder.php

Thanks again Helen smile

regards

Kieran

In reply to Kieran Whitbread

by Helen Foster -
Hi Kieran,

Thanks for pointing out the error clown which will be fixed in CVS by tomorrow.