Marking block - cannot dowload from cvs

Marking block - cannot dowload from cvs

by Nikki Macfarlane -
Number of replies: 15
I am trying to install the marking block from cvs. Two files are unavailable:

moodle/contrib/block_marking_1.5/blocks/marking/db/postgres7.sql

and

moodle/contrib/block_marking_1.5/blocks/marking/db/mysql.sql

When i click on view there is nothing to download. Any idea if these two files should exist and where I can find them?

Nikki

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nikki Macfarlane

Re: Marking block - cannot dowload from cvs

by Darren Smith -
Which database are you using on your server as you should only need one of those files (they are both bundled just in case. I'm not up on cvs myself so can't work out how to download them but you may have more luck here than I did.

Actually, I have a zip here somewhere .... looking on my local machine it appears that both of the files are 0 bytes and empty. Perhaps they need to be present but they don't do anything?

Attached is the 1.5 version I used.
In reply to Darren Smith

by James Robertson -

This is a really great block!  Do most users feel it's stable enough to use on a production site (I used the zip posted above)?  Also, is there a way to alter the warning percent from 60%?

Thanks,

Jim.

In reply to James Robertson

by Darren Smith -
The percentage can be altered by going into your admin page >> blocks and then follow the settings link next to marking block.

I have been using it on a production site for ages. The block and page do share code with any other modules of anything like that so any bugs will only effect itself (except for the 2 column issue below).

The only bugs I have come across (which are being fixed) are:

Block
  • Clicking on the Marking Page link in the block does not preserve groups.
  • Marking block prevents 2 column view for students
Page
  • When there is no one enrolled in a group you can't change groups!
  • Hidden / no grade assignments still show on marking page as unmarked

In reply to Darren Smith

by James Robertson -

Thanks Darren,

You stated "The block and page do share code with any other modules of anything like that..."  Did you mean ..."do not share code..."?

Also, are you saying that if the Marking Block is installed, you can't add/assign groups at all, or in other words, that all group definitions and user assignments to groups remain as they were at the time the block was installed?  Is this effect site-wide or course-wide?  Can you turn off the marking block and make group assignments?

I really like the Marking Block and want to use it for our production site -- it's one of those blocks that to me, at least, looks like it should be part of standard Moodle.  But most of our teachers who are using Moodle are also using groups, so I am particularly interested in that issue.

Thanks,

Jim.

P.S. I noticed a few weeks ago you suddenly aged a lot -- and got special training!

by James Robertson -

Hi again Darren,

I had looked briefly at the marking block after installing it on my localhost (1.5.2+ 2005060222, WinXP, IE) with a restored "Intro to Moodle" course, which had 2 assignments.  I had thought it looked OK, but on returning to it I am wondering what is going wrong...

1. It indicates the correct number of unmarked assignments, but when I click on the first assignment, instead of showing me the expected list it wants to show me the list of overdue assignments (there aren't any, I changed the due dates).

2. On the second assignment, it shows the expected list, but there is no link to any of the assignments (they are online text).

3. Trying another course restore, without any modified dates and several unmarked assignments, I am shown the same list of 8 students with overdue assignments (there are actually many more) no matter what assignment I select until the last.  The last assignment displays the grade interface for the submitted assignments but no link to or display of the online text.  Oddly, afterwards my overdue list changes to 26 students for all assignment selections.

I can see and grade assignments using the standard assignment grading interface, and changes are reflected on the marking block/page.  For those assignments for which I receive a grading interface I can enter a grade and feedback (even though I can't see the assigment), and my my entry is reflected in both the marking block/page and the regular assignment interface.  So at least part is working.

I know I was reviewing several blocks Friday, and was in a hurry, but I don't remember seeing anything odd like this.  The only changes since then are adding the Course Menu block (intro course only), changing the cutoff percent to 75% (and then back to 60%) and adding the Date Manager block (intro course only).

Any idea what might be going on?  Or am I just not using the block correctly?

Thanks,

Jim.

by Darren Smith -
1) What type of assignment is this?
2) Hmmm. This could be a bug for the new online text. Thanks - I will look into this.
3) Firstly if you go into admin >> blocks >> and follow the settings next to marking you can set the number of unsubmitted students which are to be displayed. Secondly, again sounds like online text being naughty.

I am going to be away for a week so I will point this thread out to Mike and look at it again when i return

Thanks for the feedback.

by Darren Smith -
Yes, I meant 'not' blush. It's independent from everything else so wont mess anything up.

Groups work as you would expect them to. The only problem is (from memory) if you enter the marking page for a group which has no submissions then the group drop down disappears and you can't change to another group (without using the back button).

I noticed a few weeks ago you suddenly aged a lot -- and got special training!

Actually, I'm still only 3 big grin I think it's the glow from the saber and I am also more battle hardened which makes me look older wink Somebody else thought the pic was 'dad' so I think I will edit it better after my hols smile
In reply to Darren Smith

by James Robertson -

Thanks for both replies.  As you saw, assignments were online text, which is especially handy for many small assigments.  I wondered if the problem might also be related to the most recent database change (2006060222), or to the presence of other blocks (but these were turned on in one course only).  Number of students to show is set to 0, so it was the 8 rather than the 26 that looked odd, but the big surprise was getting that list rather than the assignment interface for all but the last assignment.

Meanwhile, have a good holiday -- anxiously anticipating your next morph.

by Darren Smith -
Just got back from the moodlemoot at oxford (which was great) so having a quick moodle fix before my hols smile

I can't really see it being a database issue nor other blocks to be honest. I will play with it in more detail when I return in a week or so (give me a nudge if i don't please).

RE avatar: People at the moot were expecting a cute blonde person with a light saber so sorry to disappoint on all levels!
In reply to Darren Smith

by James Robertson -

Thanks, I'll keep a lookout for further developments.

So... at last we see both faces -- but which belongs to the Moodle addict?  The shorter one may look innocent, but one can never be sure!

In reply to Darren Smith

by James Robertson -

Just a nudge as suggested (I'm off tomorrow) -- let me know if there's anything I should try or any area of code I should look at.

Thanks,

Jim.

In reply to Darren Smith

by James Robertson -

Hi again Darren,

I guess my nudge had better be accompanied by a blush blush.  The download I had (from this thread?) is older than the one from CVS, and I didn't check for the latest version before posting my problems.  After updating from CVS I find that all the display wierdness is gone.  The one problem that remains is that with online text assignments (the only kind I have) I still cannot access the students' online submissions. 

I notice that one of the filenames is newassign.marking.html.  Is NewAssignment the same as the current Review Assignment (download as ReviewAssignment_1.5.zip)?

Thanks, sorry I muddied the waters.  I think there's actually only the one fish waiting to be caught.

Jim.

by Darren Smith -
Hello, thanks for the prompt smile

Glad the display issue is sorted as I was scratching my head about this one.

You are correct in pointing out that you cannot mark online texts with the current marking block. I will see if Mike knows what is happening with the moodle standard marking page as there was some talk of changing this as it seems unpopular and then maybe try and get the marking page to reflect that. I hadn't actually considered online text as they didn't really exist so I wasn't using them but now they are in 1.5 it does need to work with them.

When I find out more I will let you know but I don't think it will be sorted straight away due to the interface issue.

New Assignment is actually better known as echo assignment. It is similar to review assignment for some functionality. The biggest difference is that review assignment 'plugs' into the current assignment options where new/echo is installed as a seperate activity. the assignment forum holds more answers smile

Darren
In reply to Darren Smith

by James Robertson -

Yet another morph!  "The child is father of the man."  Thanks for the reply.  I believe the immediate (1.5.x) assignment grading interface plan was to provide the option to use either the current 1.5 interface or the old (to-be-reinstated) 1.4 interface.  I haven't looked at the code, but I can't help wondering if the bulk of the journal grading section in the marking block might be readily reworked to handle the current online assignment (comments, Mike)?

Jim.