feedback to students after grading assignments

feedback to students after grading assignments

by Leona Tane -
Number of replies: 15
I am able to view submitted assignments and have worked out how to grade them by adding corrections, comments etc. But how do I enable the students to see their marked assignments with the corrections? Every time I finish an assignment and want to close it to go to the next I am asked to save to my own work space.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Leona Tane

Re: feedback to students after grading assignments

by Roland Gesthuizen -

The most obvious for me is to call a student over for a face-to-face chat about their work. Generally, I also collect and synthesise my comments into a teacher report and use a reply to the inital discussion forum to post a detailed report. I may include links to suggestions, course resources that have been uploaded, past examples of work by students, extracts or their personal reflections.

There are a couple of ways that teachers can give online feedback to students beyond adding a comment and grade. Colleagues have explored returning by e-mail by:

• returning an assignment with corrections or embedded sound object containing verbal feedback.
  • hand annotate notes and using the photcopier in a scanner mode to create PDF files that can be returned.
  • using video capture software to record a file including teacher dialogue and an animated tour or review of the file submitted.
In reply to Roland Gesthuizen

by Barron Koralesky -

Leona, are you simply asking how to return student's work through moodle?  Right now moodle doesn't have built-in a "return graded assignment to student" function that would let you upload a marked-up version and return it to a student.

I hear talk that this may be added to the assignment module at some time.  I am hoping for that as well.
In reply to Barron Koralesky

by Michael Penney -
We've written an assignment type that allows returning of an edited file to the student, it's available here.

Assignment types are the very easiest of Moodle add-ons to install in 1.5.

If you like it, request it be added as a standard feature to 1.6 in the bug tracker or of Martin directly.
In reply to Michael Penney

by Mawuli Kuivi -
It is very easy to add to Moodle 1.5 Thanks for doing this.

Are there any plans of adding the option to allow students and teachers add multiple files? Being able to upload more than one file for student and teacher?
In reply to Mawuli Kuivi

by Jaroslav Šeděnka -
Someone is sure working to implement this as a Assignment module, if you need the feature right now you can try a Newassignment for 1.5 -- it is a standalone module based on original newassignment than can allow you multiple uploads. Try getting it from http://www.phil.muni.cz/~jarek/moodle/na/newassignment_for_1.5-latest.zip.
In reply to Michael Penney

by Sean Joyce -
We installed Humboldt's ReviewAssignment module a couple of weeks ago, and it seemed to be working well and meet our needs nicely.

However, we've started to see this error, at random, when an instructor tries to upload a review document:

File was uploaded OK but could not update your submission

I saw a thread that was reporting this error on the echo-assignment module, too, but couldn't figure out the fix.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Our instructors certainly like this feature and the Humboldt module looks like the way to go, but this error might prove a showstopper.

We're running Moodle 1.5.2, with MySQL.

TIA.

In reply to Sean Joyce

by Sigurdur Jonsson -
I had this problem as well. I found out it happened only when students were not allowed to return assignments after a certain date. When this setting is enabled Moodle also refuses to accept the revivew documents and the "File was uploaded OK but could not update your submission" error message appears. I solved this by again enabling students to upload files, just while I was grading.

Not sure if this is the same problem you are having. If that is the case this is most likley an error that needs reporting.

regards,
S.Fjalar
In reply to Sigurdur Jonsson

by Sean Joyce -
Thanks for this tip.  It seems to be a work-around for the issue, although our faculty do miss having the "enforced" due date.
In reply to Sean Joyce

by Pamela Giles -
I am also getting this message (with Upload and Review), but I am already allowing late submissions. Even changing the date due to a time in the future will not prevent the "File uploaded OK but could not update your submission" message from appearing.

It's not happening with all students; rather, it seems to happen only when I try to make changes to feedback I've already submitted. (With one student, I initially forgot to upload the feedback file but entered the grade and some comments in the comments box. Now it will let me upload the feedback file, but I get the error message, and though I can see the file in the marking box for that student, I can't see it when I log in as her.)

I can make the file appear for the student if I edit the database manually and add a "3" to the data2 field.

Any ideas?
In reply to Pamela Giles

by David Clark -
Did you ever find a solution to this Pamela? 
We are having the same problem.

In reply to David Clark

by Geoffrey Rowland -
Picture of Plugin developers

I think this may have been solved towards the end of the following discussion:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=30333

In reply to Geoffrey Rowland

by Joel Pheasant -
It also seems weird to me that teachers should not be allowed to upload documents after the submission deadline.  In an attempt to fix this, I commented out the following in the response_upload function in mod/assignment/type/uploadreview/assignment.class.php:

//        if (!$this->isopen()) {
//        echo "<script>alert('here');</script>";
//           notify(get_string("uploadfailnoupdate", "assignment"));
//        } else {

(Note that you also need to get the corresponding } near the end of the function also.)

This now allows my teachers to upload documents after the deadline for feedback.  Does anyone see any issues with this change? 

(Who would I talk to about the possiblity of changing some items in this wonderful mod so that future people benefit from the fixes we are coming up with?)

Joel

In reply to Joel Pheasant

by Michael Penney -
Hi Joel, we wrote the one that is currently in CVS/contrib. If you want to send me your changes for review we could try to get them implemented (although we won't be working on that mod in a big way for a few months).
In reply to Geoffrey Rowland

by Pamela Giles -
No, that thread addresses having to change the language file so that we aren't accidentally turning off accepting late assignments when intending to turn it on.

Without that change, we wouldn't be able to receive any late assignments at all!

Anyway, no, I haven't found any solution other than going into the database and adding that "3" manually. Doing that is such a hassle that I've instead become much better at remember to upload the file before I type in my comments!
In reply to Roland Gesthuizen

by Kome Efue -

In my case, I want to be able to return marked essays/assignments to the students who should be able to access their work easily within Moodle. Currently, the process is to save the file in my user area and then send it as an attachment by email. Tortuous route... Moodle should have thought about this obvious requirement.