bookings version 0.7

bookings version 0.7

by Audun Hauge -
Number of replies: 81
New version, nearly complete helpfile(s), new subtype calendar. The calendar subtype shows a year (startdate - enddate) as a calendar. You can make a booking for each day shown on the calendar. You can have connected calendars (shown as info in the current calendar) or blocking calendars (disable bookings for dates with an entry). This is nice for setting up a year-view of events and hollidays. Thus it should be easy to avoid bookings placed on hollidays or on days when everyone is out on some event.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Audun Hauge

Re: bookings version 0.7

by Ger Tielemans -
Warning: gregoriantojd() expects parameter 3 to be long, string given in C:\apachefriends\xampp\htdocs\moodle152b\mod\bookings\type\weekly\bookings.class.php on line 157
In reply to Audun Hauge

by Richard Burkert -
Hi, I just wanted to point out in db/mysql.sql the last two statements refer to mdl_<table> instead of prefix_<table>.  I've been running a couple of test sites out of the same db (test) so I have nonstandard prefixes and the db setup script failed at first.  Thanks.
In reply to Audun Hauge

by Luuk CARNEL -
Hi Audin,
I am using your module since a couple of weeks and I find it great !
Now I cannot find a solution for the following two situations :
  1. How can I let my students make a single entry reservation in a weekly scheduled booking ?
  2. How can I use my groups with the booking module ?
Thanks for a quick answer and best greetings !
In reply to Luuk CARNEL

by Audun Hauge -
1.  With this version of bookings-weekly there is no option for limiting a student to a single entry. In bookings-appointment you can set exclusive to 'all' - then only one entry pr user can be made. The limit you are thinking of, would that be for the whole booking periode - or for one week (student can make several bookings, but only one in each week) ?
  If you are impatient (or need a quick solution), you could try editing the file
  mod/bookings/type/weekly/bookings.class.php and changing
$sql = 'DELETE FROM '.$CFG->prefix.'bookings_calendar WHERE eventtype="reservation" AND slot='.$rslot.' AND day='.$rday.' AND julday='.($jday+$rday).'  AND userid='.$UID.' AND itemid='.$r->id;
to
$sql = 'DELETE FROM '.$CFG->prefix.'bookings_calendar WHERE eventtype="reservation"  AND userid='.$UID.' AND itemid='.$r->id;
This would allow any user only one booking. Suggest you copy the weekly dir to a new dir named exclusiweekly and making the change there. Bookings of this new type will allow only one booking pr user. You'll need to change 'weekly' to
'exclusiweekly' throughout the file (line 7 & 9).

2.  Not quite sure what you have in mind here ?? (example ??)
The latest version of bookings (not ready for release yet) has a booking type for selecting group membership. Students can book into a group.
You can set a max limit for all groups and individual limits pr group.

audun
In reply to Audun Hauge

by Luuk CARNEL -
Thanks Audun for your reply !
I will try your "quick-fix" solution tomorrow.

As for my 2nd question about using groups with the booking-module :
I am teaching the same course to 5 classes (= 5 groups) and each student has to give a presentation in the lessons during the booking period.
Now I want them to book their own "presentation-lesson" in the weekly schedule and I would like to see the bookings group by group (as it works for other modules with group-results)

BTW - your "groupbooking-features" for the next release of the module are very interesting !!!

In reply to Audun Hauge

by Robert Kraemer -
great module!!

after creating an "appointment (event signup)" I get the following error message while assigning or deleting a booking:

Warning: Attempt to assign property of non-object in C:\Programme\xampp\htdocs\moodleDev\mod\bookings\type\appointment\bookings.class.php on line 173

looking forward to next version..

Robert

In reply to Robert Kraemer

by Audun Hauge -
New version is in the dock. It's still a beta version that should be used with caution.
Launch over the week end (I think).
I've split up appointment, it's now two different submodules.
  1. a sign on for events (could be used for appointments, but better suited for events). This behaves in much the same manner as appointment (old version).
  2. appointments (new version). You first go thru a week view and set up slots for when you are available, this is done much like making a reservation in a weekly booking. Then you copy these slots forward for as many weeks as needed.
    The students can sign up for an appoinment by clicking on a slot that you have made available. Depending on options in setup, the appointment might need confirming by you. Limits can be set so that each stud can only make one appointment pr day/week/at-all.
A new booking type: group selection
Much like a sign on, but will create groups. Can be used with activity locking so that a student can't start on a task before she has joined a group and that group has at least xxx members.

In reply to Audun Hauge

by John Doe II -

Hi Audun,

Is there any new version of bookings that we can test?

Cheers.

In reply to Audun Hauge

by Melissa Fernandez -
This looks like a wonderful module.  An excellent tool for equipment reservation for libraries.  Have any updates been made recently?  I downloaded the version on this page but the readme file identifies it as v .4.  Is there a more recent v.7? 

I'm having some difficulty finding a place to edit items in this version despite what's said in the help files.  Is this something i should be handling manually in the tables?   Thanks for all the work you've put into this module.
In reply to Audun Hauge

by Sean Keogh -
Hello Audun,

Are you still developing and maintaining the booking block / module?

If so, do you have a release later that 0.7 that people can try out?

best regards

Sean M Keogh
In reply to Audun Hauge

by William Lu -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
I love this module. I use it for our equipment booking.
I ownder why this moudle neither on Module list from 'download Moodle' page nor on modules link.
I strongly suggest this should be a standard moudle.
Audun, thanks.
And please keep upgrade it.
In reply to William Lu

by Patrick Pollet -
I second William wink
Any new version around beside the one attached to your first message ?
No plan to put it on Moodle contrib's CVS ?

Cheers.
In reply to Patrick Pollet

Coming (slowly) bookings version 0.8

by Audun Hauge -
I've been doing some more work on bookings - added ajax editing
of entries (yearcalendar). It's not ready for release yet - I just can't seem to
find enough time to get it into proper shape.
I would also like to use the new roles system - been holding off a bit
in the hope of using roles in bookings.
I hope to get a new version done after the exam periode is finished.
This will be with some more ajax and a bit more use of the moodle api
( quite a bit of bookings was ported from a python project -- thus
there were lots of snippets that weren't very moodlish ).

audun
In reply to Audun Hauge

Re: Coming (slowly) bookings version 0.8

by Peter de Groot -

Tried the version (0.7?) in this thread .. and it did not seem to like Moodle 1.6.
Is 0.8 far away ?  It seem like just the thing for booking our computer labs etc.
Cheers
Peter
In reply to Peter de Groot

Re: Coming (slowly) bookings version 0.8

by Jerome Decuq -
Any news? I used this wonderful module for the computer lab as well, and I can't make it work with 1.7 now that I have upgraded....
In reply to William Lu

by mandy honeyman -
William,
I would be really interested to see how you have this set up, I too would like to use it for booking equipment. Is there any chance of temporary guest access to your site to see how you are using it?
Does it work with moodle v1.6 (and v1.5)?
cheers
Mandy
In reply to mandy honeyman

by William Lu -

Yes, it works with my Moodle1.5.4. Should not have any problem on Moodle1.6.

It is very easy to setup and would not hurt your system. Please download it and try it out.

In reply to William Lu

by Bhupinder Singh -

Hi William, Audan

The version listed in a download the booking module is version 0.4

I understand there is a version 0.7.

Could you guide me to the download link etc.

Thanks in advance.

Garry 

In reply to Bhupinder Singh

by William Lu -

It is at the top of this topic, a zip file:

http://moodle.org/file.php/5/moddata/forum/27/134876/bookings.zip

In reply to William Lu

by mandy honeyman -
Hi William,

The version you link to says that it is version 0.4 in the readme.txt file included in the zip.

This might be what is causing confusion.
cheers
mandy
In reply to William Lu

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I too am confused about the versioning. I would like to test this on 1.6.3+. From the above link I get a zip file and from version.php I have $module->version = 2005071700;
Is this the latest version?

In the readme file it indicates that it is 0.4 which may be contributing to the confusion. I am more accustomed to using the version.php file to get a date of the version I am working with.

Also, since I have not installed and played with this yet, I am wondering if this is at all similar to the MRBS integration that I was working on. MRBS will allow for rooms (but just as easily could be some other resource) to be scheduled by users. I have customized ours so that only teachers of a particular class can make reservations. This allows me to distinguish between teachers and students who are co-moderators of clubs.
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Mike Green -

I need a booking system for moodle 1.8 - does anyone have any news on the development of this module?

In reply to Mike Green

by Julian Ridden -
I have started tinkering with this module after your post to get it running in 1.8/1.9.

I am two thirds of the way there. I have fixed the navigation, got the activity to create/delete and be edited by users. There is just one area I am still having trouble with. That is what happens when a user tries to create/edit items (i.e. rooms/activities for booking.

You can see what I have got working in my 1.9 site by clicking here. If anyone thinks they can help I am happy to share the code I have got working so far.

JR
In reply to Julian Ridden

by Anthony Borrow -
Julian - How does the bookings activity compare to MRBS4Moodle. I would be interested in helping you test some of the code on my test server where I will be playing with 1.9. It looks like I may be able to use it to accomplish what MRBS does but in a more open/flexible manner. Thanks for your work on this. Peace - Anthony

by Julian Ridden -
It is certainly no MRBS. I couldnt even really compare the two.

MRBS is far larger in scope than the bookings module. Bookiings would be for much smaller implementations.

You can see a demo in The Playpen if you like.

I am having a issue left to resolve (p.s. anyoine thinks they can help, jump aboard) with changing the actual items being booked. Once that is fixed, shjould be ready for re-release.

Julian

by Anthony Borrow -
Julian - Kind of funny that I felt similarly except I thought that the bookings module was more flexible. I will download and test the bookings module to get a feel for things and see what happens. Peace.
In reply to Audun Hauge

by Julian Ridden -
About time this was all done. Here is my checklist as of today:
  1. Added Bookings to the modules and plugins database
  2. Created MoodleDocs pages and some basic content for others looking into the Bookings module
  3. Finished The Playpen demo of Bookings
Now all I have to do is finish the 1.8 conversion and Im done smile

by Audun Hauge -
Really nice of you smile
I've not had time to pick up this one ...

by Neil Marsh -

Has the 1.8 conversion been completed yet?

In reply to Neil Marsh

by Julian Ridden -
Sadly not yet. I have attached what I have done so far, but still a few bugs. DO NOT USE THIS on a production server.

If anyone can help with the updating of this, please add to this thread.

JR

by Richard Eagleton -
Hi Julian,

I've not done any Moodle development yet, but I've had plenty of general web application development experience. What's the problem? Let me know, I'm more than happy to help as I would love to include this module on my server.

by James Hagen -
Hi Julian,
How's the 1.8 upgrade going? If you need help, let me know what I can do. Have installed from your zip to 1.8.2+ and played a bit. Seems fine so far.
James
In reply to James Hagen

by Sarah Quantick -
Julian

I have installed your zip onto 1.9beta3

I had to make two minor changes in the mysql.sql file
Line 64
INSERT INTO mdl_bookings_item
INSERT INTO prefix_bookings_item
Line 81
INSERT INTO mdl_bookings_item_property
INSERT INTO prefix_bookings_item_property

In order for it to install

However it doesn't quite run
If I click on edit I get course module is incorrect
I can book Reserve room 110 but the exam room comes up with the R and Free.
If I click on bookings in the breadcrumb I get a required parameter was missing

I will keep testing but if anyone can give any pointers that would be very helpful

Sarah
In reply to Audun Hauge

by Werner Benedikt -

Hallo!

I use moodle 1.8 on a local machine (C:\xampp\htdocs\moodle\mod\bookings\). I have copied the folder "bookings" to .../mod/ and copied the bookings.php to .../moodledata/lang/de_utf8. Then I startet .../moodle/admin and I got only o.k. I can do some bookings, but at the end there is a message: "Course module is incorrect" and it doesn`t work.
What´s wrong?

In reply to Werner Benedikt

by Roel Cantada -
same here malungkot
In reply to Roel Cantada

by Jason Hollowell -
Same problem here on 1.8.2+ sad

Any word on this problem?

Jason
In reply to Jason Hollowell

by Jason Hollowell -
No activity here for quite some time.....

Is this mod no longer being developed?

Jason
In reply to Jason Hollowell

by Audun Hauge -
The main problem from my side is that I'd started to extend the mod with some javascript based on scriptacolus - but now moodle has settled on YUI as the javascript lib of choice. This means a rewrite of more code than anticipated for a move to 1.9. I might have time to do this change-over after school has started up and things have settled down - but it's more work than I expected.
In reply to Werner Benedikt

by Edward Roche -
Does this work at all in 1.8.2? I put the booking folder under the mod folder and also copied the bookings.php to moodledata/lang/de_utf8 like Werner mentioned but I don't get an option under Activities to add this.

Any words of advice?

Thanks
Ed
In reply to Audun Hauge

by Neil Michael Beniabon -
great tool! this is just what we need for our library. we have been painstakingly trying to exploit the tables wiki for our reservations. but the editing and formatting is too slow and unreliable for our setup. im looking forward to using this module. Good joB!
In reply to Neil Michael Beniabon

by Dave Pohl -

I have just installed this module on Moodle 1.8 and when I try to use it, the rooms available are 'examroom', 'rom110', 'rom210'. Then on the next screen I get - 'Course module is incorrect'.

Am I doing something wrong??

In reply to Dave Pohl

by Audun Hauge -
You need a newer version.
The version you downloaded uses old style require_param
and other functions that are now deprecated in newer versions of moodle.
I've got a version that works for 1.9 - but it's not ready for release yet
(too many local hacks adapted for my school ).
I hope to have a clean version in about a month.
In reply to Audun Hauge

Svar: Re: bookings version 0.7

by Daniel Håkansson -

Hi I am just wondering how the development goes, do you know when we can get a glimpse of the new version?

Kind regards Daniel Håkansson

In reply to Audun Hauge

by Chad Outten -
Picture of Testers
Thanks for your work on this module, Audun. Count me in when you need testing for 1.9. Just give me a shout! smile
In reply to Audun Hauge

by Sarah Quantick -

Audun

How is the 1.9 version of bookings going. I would be very interested in testing it out.

Sarah

In reply to Dave Pohl

by Fred Nadela -
I am a moodle newbie and I am trying to install bookings 0.7 on Moodle 1.8.2+ (2007021520).

However, I get the following error:
Notice: Undefined variable: id in C:\wamp\www\htdocs\elearning\mod\bookings\index.php on line 9

In another window it also gives me the error Course module is incorrect.

I believe these two errors are related.

Please help.

In reply to Fred Nadela

Svar: Re: bookings version 0.7

by Daniel Håkansson -

Hi the booking module semms to be standing still and not beeing developed, so i recomend that you use the mrbs mudule integration insted it works fine for me in 1.8.2.

/Daniel

In reply to Audun Hauge

Problems using booking in 1.6

by Steve S. -
I am using 1.6 and I installed the bookings module, but it is just coming up as modulename when I click on the activity pull down menu. What am I doing wrong?
In reply to Steve S.

Re: Problems using booking in 1.6

by Mikael Ekblom -
probably a missing language file or some missing string within the language file that should be in the /lang directory and named something like booking.php

I do not have this module installed myself but this is a typical symptom of a missing language file.
In reply to Audun Hauge

Using bookings for scheduling student presentations

by Steve S. -
I just installed bookings for Moodle 1.6 and I'd like to use it to have students schedule their own student presentations for certain dates and times. Any suggestions on the best way to do this? Thanks.
In reply to Steve S.

Re: Using bookings for scheduling student presentations

by Audun Hauge -
I'm not sure if this option is present in the version you've got - but I use booking-type Appointment (event sign-on) for this.

This is a cut from my setup page (text in norwegian)

Comma separert liste for kolonner og rader
Kolonnenavn: Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday
Navn på rader: 9.20,9.40,10.00,10.20
Hvem kan redigere: Velg... Lærere Elever
Exclusive: Velg... Rader Kolonne Rader og Kolonner Bare en verdi Ingen grenser
Flere: Velg... 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 96 97 98 99 100

Kolonnenavn => name of columns
Navn på rader => name of rows
editable by lærere => teachers
exclusive => can one user book into several slots?
Bare en verdi => single value
Flere => more than one user can be booked into one slot

I then get a booking like this:

Monday Tuesday Wednesday
09.20 Ledig Ledig Ledig
09.40 Ledig M Ledig Ledig 1
10.00 Ledig Ledig Ledig
10.20 Ledig Ledig Ledig

Navn E-postadresse Reservasjon Valg
Picture of Audun Hauge Hauge Audun hxxx@nowher.no Tuesday 09.40

I've booked (M)yself on tuesday 09.40
One more person can book that slot
There is a count for each row,column and a total in lower right corner.
In reply to Audun Hauge

by Zoe Bogner -
Dare I ask - is development of this module still happening?

I've had a bit of a play and seemed to have unlocked a few of the features that were holding many users back, namely the Item Editor (aka Room, Equiptment, whatever Editor). It's faaaaaaar from a pretty, functional piece of work to be unleashed on the public, but maybe some other keen developers out there might be able to fill in the gaps.

Fingers crossed we can get this working, it's a popular feature!
In reply to Zoe Bogner

by Sarah Quantick -
Zoe

Thank you for the work you have done.

This seems to have moved bookings forward but I am still getting errors, I can now get into item editor but if I add a room the values do not save I get a space in the drop down list and if I click where the space is nothing comes up.

Also if I go into edit I lose the breadcrumb across the top

The other error I get is that if I click schedule I get the course module is incorrect 104.

Sarah

In reply to Sarah Quantick

by Zoe Bogner -
Hey Sarah, we appear to be on the same page then. As I was saying, it's still very error-plagued, and isn't in any kind of usable state. I'm very new to PHP and am hoping someone might know enough to help us get the values modified in the editor to save.

The numbers at the end of the errors I've added for identification. If you hunt through the code you can see just what is causing them.

Zoe
In reply to Zoe Bogner

by Michael Woods -
Picture of Core developers
Hi,

I was wondering if any further development has been done on this module? 1.8.x or 1.9?

Thanks,
Michael
In reply to Michael Woods

by Anthony Borrow -
Michael - It looks like development may have stalled on bookings for 1.8/1.9. I will write to Julian and see if he wants to keep this in CVS which may make it easier for other folks to work on it. Also, you may want to check out the MRBS block which integrates the MRBS project into Moodle. Let me know if you have any questions. Peace - Anthony

Vast: Re: bookings version 0.7

by Petteri Pyrrö -
It looks like development may have stalled on bookings for 1.8/1.9.
Any news on this yet? It's been a while since this post. Or, are there any alternative booking modules available - commercial or non-commercial?
In reply to Petteri Pyrrö

Re: Vast: Re: bookings version 0.7

by Jonathan Newman -
Depends on what your booking needs are. One alternative is the Face-to-face module which allows users to book themselves into classroom training sessions created by teachers. It is maintained by Francois Marier and available in contrib here: http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=995
In reply to Jonathan Newman

by Chen ZhongWei -

Thanks Jonathan,

I installed the Face-to-Face mod on my site. I like the sign-up flow of booking. Is it possible to add multiple seesions auch as weekly to improve the booking usage?

Thanks.

In reply to Chen ZhongWei

by Jonathan Newman -
Hi Chen,

The face-to-face module supports multiple sessions (i.e., more than one session per instance of the Activity) and multi-date sessions (i.e., a session that can be signed-up for which is more than one date/time).

At the moment, the module doesn't provide a "weekly" setting. I'm sure that would be fairly easy to enhance the module to let you add the first session date/time and the number of weeks, and then auto-creates for you the date/time for each week. For now, you'd need specify that the session date/time is known, and use the "Add a new date" button to schedule each weekly date/time.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Jonathan

by Chen ZhongWei -
Hi, Anthony,
I am interested in this module too. I tried it and modified it last nights for moodle 1.9.2. It works well now on my site. All the module is attached here in a zipped file. You can just install it as before. Bugs maybe still unsolved yet, just try it and feel free to notice me any problem.
The main problem I found (not recovered yet) is that there are many "properties" of an item have special usages. So you should be careful to modify any item's property values such as edit-group, scheduled, multiple.
In reply to Chen ZhongWei

by Rob Drescher -

Good Morning!  I am new to Moodle and hope someone can help me with this request.  I was going to use this module, but then thought I better ask to make sure it's what I really need.  My need is thus:  I would like to have the teachers be able to schedule their tests on a calendar that is visible by the teachers/students.  Here at this school, a student can only have two tests per grade per day.  I was wanting to have something that all of the teachers would be able to pull up, review a particular month and add their test to a day that would be available (1 test or less on a particular day).  I had hoped to be able to display by grade (resource) but not required.  Is there a calendar option that would be more suited to this?  We are using 1.9 of Moodle and just recently installed it, so I'm trying to learn.

Sincerely,

Rob Drescher

IT Director

In reply to Rob Drescher

by Mark Lynch -
Hi Rob,
Just a quick reply.

To get items in the calendar there are 2 ways that I know of.
1 by adding an event, user, course or site.
2 by adding an assignment. If the teachers add assignment then the date due is added to the calendar.
Not sure if this suites.
All the best
Mark Lynch
Perth West Oz
In reply to Audun Hauge

ตอบ: bookings version 0.7

by Panyarak Ngamsritragul -
Is this module still valid for 1.9.4 and 1.9.5 ?

I tried in both version, but there are a lot of warning in php codes, e.g.

Notice
: Undefined property: stdClass::$format in /var/www/moodle/mod/bookings/lib.php on line 267

Notice: Undefined variable: html in /var/www/moodle/mod/bookings/type/appointment/bookings.class.php on line 106

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /var/www/moodle/mod/bookings/type/appointment/bookings.class.php on line 116

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /var/www/moodle/mod/bookings/type/appointment/bookings.class.php on line 130

Warning: Attempt to assign property of non-object in /var/www/moodle/mod/bookings/type/appointment/bookings.class.php on line 173

Notice: Undefined index: 1 in /var/www/moodle/mod/bookings/type/appointment/bookings.class.php on line 174

Notice: Undefined index: 1 in /var/www/moodle/mod/bookings/type/appointment/bookings.class.php on line 175

Notice: Undefined offset: 0 in /var/www/moodle/mod/bookings/type/appointment/bookings.class.php on line 256

Notice: Undefined offset: 2 in /var/www/moodle/mod/bookings/type/appointment/bookings.class.php on line 256

and a lot more....

In reply to Panyarak Ngamsritragul

Re: ตอบ: bookings version 0.7

by Corbett Speciale -

Having the same problem.  Anybody working on this?  I would love to add this.

In reply to Corbett Speciale

by Abdul Hakkim -
Hi friends,
i made some changes on "Booking Module" for moodle1.9+ version , download the zip file
In reply to Abdul Hakkim

by Grant Harbor -
Is there a working version of this module for 1.9 around? All the .zips that I can find all seem to be 2005 versions??

I would really like to use this to book parent teacher interviews..

Grant

In reply to Abdul Hakkim

by Neil Fisher -
This doesn't appear to install properly with the current version 1.9.8+, errors inputting into the mdb's, saying they don't exist.
In reply to Abdul Hakkim

by Tom Vivian -

I have just installed your version and I think it's working, at least I don't get any errors. However I am getting some strange happenings, there is are a lot of double brackets everywhere. Please see the attached image.

Do you know what this might be or how to get rid of them.

Attachment Untitled.jpg
In reply to Tom Vivian

by Stuart Frankland -

Hi Tom,

Double bracket is usually to do with language file not setup correctly

In reply to Stuart Frankland

by Tom Vivian -

Stuart,

Thanks for your comment. It turned out that I had to create a folder called  en_utf8 in the lang dir of the module and then copy the lang files into it. All fixed now.

Tom.

In reply to Tom Vivian

by Brian Larkin -

Tom,

I've had exactly the same problem you've described. I created a lang folder, en_utf8 folder and copied the lang files in. Deleted the module and then re-loaded it. But I'm still getting the square brackets.

Any more advice?

Thanks,

Brian

In reply to Audun Hauge

by David Challoner -

Is anyone maintaining this?  Will it work with Moodle 2.0?

Dave

In reply to David Challoner

by Anthony Borrow -

David - As best as I can tell, no one is maintaining the bookings module so it is one of those use at your own risk. If there is interest in getting the code added to CONTRIB and having someone maintain it let me know and I will be happy to work with them to make that happen. Peace - Anthony