Chat freezing - also error "Your SID was rejected"

Chat freezing - also error "Your SID was rejected"

by Gary Benner -
Number of replies: 4
HI all,

We've got a site where the Chat room is used every day. The users are reporting that the Chat room freezes often (like every few minutes), and users (individually) drop out and have to go manually back in to the chat room. We had originally configured normal mode, but have in the last few days been using the chat daemon, with no improvement

There is also sometimes a report of "Page not found".

I've checked the apache logs, and searched for the error reported. The "SID" error is generated in the PHP code for the daemon (chatd.php), and indicates that the sessionid is not found - is this to do with cookies? - or a bad connection, or what?

In the logs I also found many entries for not finding the file "empty.php". if was looking in the ../mod/chat/gui-sockets/ directory, while in fact it is in the /mod/chat directory. I haven't found out why this is yet.

PHP is not my main language, so if any of the guru's out there can help, much appreciated.

The system is running on Centos 4.1 (=RHEL 4),
mysql-server-4.1.10a-1.RHEL4.1
php-mysql-4.3.9-3.6
mysql-4.1.10a-1.RHEL4.1
php-4.3.9-3.6

We also use the Ioncube PHP accelerator
PHP Accelerator v1.3.3r2

kind regards

Gary
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gary Benner

Re: Chat freezing - also error "Your SID was rejected"

by Branko Bognar -

Hi Gery/all,

I have the same problem as Gery. Is there somebody who can help us?

Branko
In reply to Gary Benner

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi!

You did forget the most important info - your moodle version smile

In case of standard chat in 1.5.2 you can simply press F5 to refresh the page and the page should unfreeze. But you can not press F5 in case of older versions and chat daemon - you would get SID error.

skodak
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Gary Benner -
Hi Petr,

The problem started with Moodle v1.4.4 and v1.4.5, and stayed with us to Moodle version 1.5.2.

We have also moved to the Chat daemon now.

I am currently thinking that the issue may be related to "micro outages" that are a part of our Internet infrastructure. These have caused me to drop out of PCAnywhere sessions while doing customer support.

For this site the users are in a rural area (real distance learning!!), and it may be that the quality of the connections is somewhat flaky. However that would affect the Chat daemon where there is a persistent connection, but not the normal mode, where there are multiple sequential connections.

Am I right in understanding that the "SID rejected" error comes up when the socket connection is broken?

If this is a problem, can the Chat daemon have a self healing function?

kind regards

Gary

In reply to Gary Benner

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The chat code is not perfect, you are right that the chat freezes when the connection goes down sad There is no easy way to fix it - it would need a complete rewrite (I guess it would take several hundred coding hours.)

In any case you should try to fix those "micro outages" - IMO they are not normal.

skodak