Dialogue Module - version 2003100500

Dialogue Module - version 2003100500

by Ray Kingdon -
Number of replies: 15
There's a new version of the module available on the Module page. Thanks to Przemek for the excellent suggestions. The dialogue screen is now tabbed. I've used same tab style as the Workshop module, it's the one "what I wrote". I slightly prefer it to the tab style used in the Gossary module, I'm a sucker for roll-over links clown

I have also added a Subject and there's an option to allow you to start many dialogues with the same person. I made that a teacher controlled option as it may be used malicously to flame somebody. The default is only one dialogue with a person at any one time.

I haven't "paged" the screen. I'm not a big fan of paged screens, I much prefer to be shown anything on a single page, but that's probably me big grin

The "close window?" bug reported in the previous tread has been fixed. What I was trying to do (and obviously failing sad ) was to close the "Using Smilies" popup window after adding a new entry. There's a Use emoticons link waiting to be shown when adding a dialogue entry. However, the problem is that the "Using Smilies" window is statically linked to a particular textarea. To get it properly linked to a different textarea requires a bit more than clicking on a new Use emoticons link. I found I had to close the old popup and start a new one for that to happen. Thus I was trying to close the popup using a little bit of javascript. Unfortunately the wrong bit of javascript blush . If someone can suggest the right bit of javascript to close the Smilies window I'd be most impressed.

Thanks again for the excellent suggestions, I think the interface is much improved as a result.

Oh, there are a couple of changes to the database, so this version will require an admin login and a visit to the Admin page to get the tables updated.

Ray
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ray Kingdon

Re: Dialogue Module - version 2003100500

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
Thanks! I like the 'intelligent' tab defaulting very much - very user friendly. smile

About the display - I'm just a little concerned about the scalability of the current way dialogues are shown. What if you have 30 or more longish dialogues? The page will become very long and this will affect download time for poor modem users. And - sorry if I didn't explain my point well enough before - I didn't actually mean paging the dialogues, but using a 'collapsed' style similar to the way forum discussions are displayed now.

What do you think?

Cheers smile
Przemek
In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

by Ray Kingdon -
Przemek

Yes, I see what you mean. What about if the "Dialogues awaiting a reply from the other person" page has a similar format as the Closed Dialogues page, that is just a list. Perhaps if there are only 3(?) or less they should be displayed as they at present, but any more gives you a list.

I think the list of Closed dialogues should be in name order by default (with possibly an link to put the table in time order?). The list for the dialogues awaiting a reply from someone else should also be in name order.

I don't think the "Dialogues awaiting a reply from You" page should grow too large. After all you can just answer the things or close them if there are too many wink You have more control over that page.

Would that solve the long page problem?

Ray
In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
What about if the "Dialogues awaiting a reply from the other person" page has a similar format as the Closed Dialogues page, that is just a list.
That would do the trick. Anyway, you don't have to see THESE dialogues in the expanded form. And, actually, I am now running a class with just 16 students, I 'dialogued' all of them and I'm really glad I don't have to access the "Dialogues awaiting a reply from the other person" page via a modem wink

I also agree with what you suggest for the "Dialogues awaiting a reply from You" page. Yes, you have more control over this page wink, and it is also very useful to be able to type replies to many dialogues on one page and send them all off with just one click of the "Add my New Entries" button.
In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Nice work!

I like the tabs ... I really need to get a consistent tab solution into lib/weblib.php ... it would be best to have styles for them so people can choose rollovers or not.

I've moved Dialogue into the main CVS tree, too, so life can be a little less work for all of us. smile
In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Tom Murdock -
Wow, Ray. It is absolutely beautiful. And simple!

With this, I'm going to simply give my students ALL of the assignments they have during a given unit and instead of putting the assigments in order or revealing them bit by bit, I'm going to open a dialogue and say, "Hey, what did you accomplish this week? What assignments? What questions? Do you need any help?"

This totally makes it possible to get back to Martin's "reveal everything" philosophy, while allowing us to keep track of the progress of individuals week by week with a steady dialogue.

Martin, with groups this will be VERY powerful.

big grin
In reply to Tom Murdock

by Ray Kingdon -
Thanks Tom

I know what the next question is - sending the same opening message to all students? It needs a entry "All groups" in the list of students. There would also be entries like "Group 1", Group 2"... or what ever the teacher chooses to call the groups. In that context the "All groups" option makes sense.

That assumes groups within courses of course wink

Ray
In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
For now (since there are no groups yet), the options could be "send the same opening message to all students", "send the same opening message to all teachers" and "send the same opening message to all users".
In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
Another suggestion - it would be useful if the "Closed Dialogues" tab diplayed the subjects as well. Apart from allowing the user to distinguish the dialogues easily, this would also make it more Moodly - the link on the person's name would return that person's profile, while the link on the subject would display the dialogue itself.

by Ray Kingdon -
Thanks Przemyslaw, I'll take all these points on board approve

Thanks again,
Ray
In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Ne Nashev -
I just starting to use dialogue module, and first my suggestion it is - i want "the link on the person's name would return that person's profile" - and from dialogue listings, and from page of dialogue with sent entries. There are too many person names exists, but no one link to person profile. sad

It is old suggestion, and approved, but not yet realized. Are there any problem?
In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
A thought that has just occurred to me: why is there no "Teacher to Teacher" type of dialogue?

by Ray Kingdon -
I think the teacher forum covers the teacher-teacher "dialogue" and has the advantage of allowing the information to be seen by everyone (well, all the teachers).

I only think dialogues are useful to (a) overcome the shyness students feel posting to "public" forums and (b) when the conversation needs to be private. Forums always should be the PREFERED means of communication because they are much more "efficient" (from the teacher's point of view).

Ray
In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
So true! Dialogue should be used in exceptional situations only. For most purposes, forum is THE choice.

However, I just thought that a teacher might want to contact another teacher privately as well. But then we might just set up an 'Everyone' type of dialogue.
In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Dallas Ray Smetter -
And I would love to be able, as the site admin, to see ALL dialogues and be able to participate in them. We use the dialogue as a service ticket system... I am considering fooling with the code to make it happen but if someone else has already done something similar then please let me know.