displaying custom scales

displaying custom scales

by Brian Schmidt -
Number of replies: 20
In the previous version we had (1.4.x), we created custom scales for all of our assignments -- Completed/Not Completed.  When we graded the assignments, the gradebook would show these values in there.  However, in 1.5, it seems like this is not possible as far as I can tell.

Now when we grade with a custom scale, the cell is just blank and the student actually has to go back to the specific assignment itself and click on it to see the grade given.  Is there any way to get the gradebook to display the way it used to?  Or have I just overlooked some setting that will allow the scale to be displayed again, rather than a blank or numerical score?

TIA,
Brian
In reply to Brian Schmidt

Re: displaying custom scales

by Héctor González Jaime -
Same here, is there a way around this problem?  It's not only with custom scales, but with the predefined non-numerical scales too.

In reply to Héctor González Jaime

by Tony Samuel -

Anybody got an answer to this? Our teachers are also using mainly custom scales and want them shown in the gradebook (the way they used to be)

Best wishes,

Tony

In reply to Tony Samuel

Re: displaying custom scales in gradebook (they show up in assignments, but blank in the gradebook)

by Barron Koralesky -

I was wondering the same thing, anyone have any input?
In reply to Barron Koralesky

Re: displaying custom scales in gradebook (they show up in assignments, but blank in the gradebook)

by Richard Williamson -

Just thought I'd add my plea for this feature / bugfix as many of my grades use the pass/merit/distinction system, and they just aren't displayed.

Heeeelp

Regards
RIchard Williamson

In reply to Richard Williamson

by Julia Hardy -
Please add me to the growing list.

by Scott Krajewski -
This is coming up on our campus too.  We're transitioning to moodle this term (from Blackboard) and this is becoming a negative for moodle.  black eye
In reply to Scott Krajewski

Please post this in the bugtracker

by Michael Penney -
http://moodle.org/bugs/index.php

Scales were displaying in the development version, not sure why they were taken out in 1.5.

A real problem with custom scales is that they don't obey the API, grades are supposed to be returned to the gradebook with a maximum score (numerical) or else how are things (like course total points) to be calculated?

Anyway, if this gets put in the bugtracker and folks who want it fixed vote for it, that is the best way to get it addressed.

by Charles B -
Here's one more voice to add to the chorus.
All our grades from 1.4 are custom scales... and it's important to us to display them in the big table format showing all students at once.
If this can't be resolved soon, I sure would appreciate advice on transforming the custom scales into standard ones, with any process of any kind.
In reply to Charles B

by Charles B -
Lacking any insight into this, I ended up editing our MySQL database directly to change all existing grades to percentage values. Then I eliminated the existing custom scales, which resulted in all grades now appearing as percentages.
After this, I used the new gradebook features to add letter grades corresponding to our former custom scales.
Now on to a few other glitches in other areas....
In reply to Charles B

by Ben Goodwin -

Another voice to add to this! We has custom scales working (so tutors tell me) in 1.5?? but now they dont appear in the grade book.

I agree that to get percentages and so on numerical scores are required, but if only moodle could display letter grades from this custom scale when set for assignments i would be happier than>>>>

trying to create another version of the grade book to display letter grades as most of our assigmnets are marked A-E & U which i am attempting to do......

In reply to Ben Goodwin

by Richard Williamson -
Please let us all know when you do this, as this problem is driving me crazy. Many of my assignments are marked as pass, merit or distinction sad
In reply to Richard Williamson

by Ben Goodwin -
i have now found that the journal (which we are still using during the journal/assignment transition phase) do work correctly i have posted this info on the moodle bugtracker. I will be continuing to try to solve this problem so will let you all know if and when i do. 

by Tomasz Walasek -
Me too, I have noticed that problem after grading about 300 assignments. And I have still a 1000 to go. The custom grades do not have to be calculated in gradbook. I can do that in a spreadsheet, but they <b>must</b> be visible for me and the students.
In reply to Tomasz Walasek

by Ben Goodwin -

To solve this problem it is very easy (thanks to the moodle bug tracker!)

If you have access to the moodle code files in the grade folder open the file called lib.php around line 1328/1330 you will find:

if (empty($scalegrades[$key])) {

this need altering to:

if (empty($scalegrades[$grade])) {

thus just altering the 'key' variable for 'grade'!

In reply to Ben Goodwin

by Tomasz Walasek -
Ben,
Thanks for your help. But...
There is no such a code in grade/lib.php. I am using the newest version of moodle and the assignment module. Where can I find the code?
Tomek
In reply to Tomasz Walasek

by Brian Schmidt -

Hi Tomasz,

Check in mod/assignment/lib.php -- I found the lines there.

HTH,
Brian

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I have just fixed it in CVS wink
Please test it and report any other problems with grading of assignments here...

skodak