Rate data still not saved in CSV export file

Rate data still not saved in CSV export file

by Peter Ruthven-Stuart -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Plugin developers
Does anyone know of a solution to rate data not being saved to CSV export files?

I have a questionnaire in which I have used the 'Rate (scale 1 ..5)' Type question. Some 250 students have answered the questionnaire and all the results appear within the Moodle interface. However, when I export the results as a CSV file the results for the items that used the 'Rate (scale 1 ..5)' Type question are wrong.

There are two versions of this problem:
  1. On my production site I am using Moodle 1.4.3, and Questionnaire Module version 2005030101. In this case all of the item names appear in the top row of the CSV file, but all of the results for the 'Rate (scale 1 ..5)' Type are missing.
  2. On my experimental site I am using Moodle 1.5, and Questionnaire Module version 2005062701. With this set up, only the result of the last 'Rate (scale 1 ..5)' Type is reported. What is more, the reported results are all one less (minus 1) than the actual number chosen.
Having done a search for 'CSV export' within the Questionnaire forum, it seems that I am not the only Moodler to have experienced this problem. For example see Peter Noelle's posting, and Alex Walker's posting.

I realise that for any future questionnaires I make, the solution will be to use another item type (e.g. radio buttons), however is there anyway that I can extract the results for the 'Rate (scale 1 ..5)' Type items in the questionnaire that has already been answered by 250 students on my production site. I had the results sent to my email, so it may be possible for me to convert these 250 emails into a CSV file, however, if anyone knows a simpler solution, I'd much appreciate your advice.

Finally, has the latest Questionnaire module solved the export problem? If so, would installing the latest version allow me to extricate the rate data form an already existing questionnaire?

Thank you.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Ruthven-Stuart

Re: Rate data still not saved in CSV export file

by Calvin Park -
Regarding #2, I have the same problem (and quite a few others that I've seen). Our work around for that has been to simply apply a formula to all the cells to add one to the number. It's a dirty workaround. I'm hoping this bug gets fixed, but that's our work around for that...

As for #1, I've not run into that problem. Have you thought about updating to the latest Questionnaire release? You may well still have your second issue, but at least you could get the data and use our fix for it. Of course, I've not updated my questionnaire module when I've needed data to be saved, so you might want to speak with someone who has to be sure your data won't be lost, etc.

Hope some of this helps.

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I have just comitted fixes to CVS to both of your problems. If you check out that version, you should have both problems fixed. If you use the archive zips, wait 24 hours.

mike
In reply to Mike Churchward

by Peter Ruthven-Stuart -
Picture of Plugin developers
Mike

Thank you very much for this big grin.

However, before I go ahead and install the newest Questionnaire module into my Production site (Moodle v 1.4.3), can I be certain that by doing this I will not lose my existing questionnaires and questionnaire data?

Or, is the only solution to upgrade to the newest Moodle (1.5) and then install the latest Questionnaire module?

Thanks.

by Mike Churchward -
The questionnaire module is not tied to a specific version of Moodle. It will run on 1.4.x as well as 1.5.x.

If you upgrade, there should be no problems with your existing data. But, to be safe, its always smart to make a backup before you upgrade.

mike
In reply to Mike Churchward

by Calvin Park -
Mike, thanks alot! It works great, and this is exactly the fix we needed. Again, thanks.

by Lael ... -

Hi!

I'm experiencing the same problem as Peter.

When exporting to CSV, Question numbers and all user information appears fine, but there is no data in the columns for each response. I have used the "!" as my 'answer' to the questions. Could this be a problem?

I am using Questionnaire version 10003 - from the zip download on moodle site (downloads section)

gives v# Version 2005021101 from the readme file. (is this an old version?)

Thankyou!

In reply to Lael ...

by Mike Churchward -
Yes, that is an old version. Get the latest from the download site.

mike