[URGENT] MOODLE 2.3 Grades/ticks disappear!!!

[URGENT] MOODLE 2.3 Grades/ticks disappear!!!

by chi fu cheuk -
Number of replies: 7

Hi all,

Basically, I need students to complete the previous section (e.g. pre-assessment and course flow activity) before they can attempt the next section (e.g. 2 reading materials and 2 quiz). [You will see these "activities" in below image]

All the quizzes are MCQ, and I have set completion tracking for the quizzes in this way:

completion tracking of "Quiz"

The problem I met today is, the ticks for quizzes suddenly DISAPPEARED as captured in below image. 

activity completion report

It is weird in the sense that the ticks existed yesterday, but disappeared today.

Can anyone help to explain and solve this? Students from now on CANNOT PROCEED ON even they have completed the pre-assessment and course flow activity. In order to help them proceed on, the only thing I can do is to update the grades manually in grader report, which cannot be a long-term solution.

Thanks all,

Tony

In reply to chi fu cheuk

Re: [URGENT] MOODLE 2.3 Grades/ticks disappear!!!

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Something has to have changed.  Feedback settings maybe?  Quiz end date maybe?  Did you just add the completion settings?  Does a grade for the quiz show in the gradebook?

In reply to Emma Richardson

by chi fu cheuk -

Thanks Emma for your help.

The last time I could see grades/ticks in gradebook/activity completion report was on 5 Mar pm. There's no change in quiz/feedback setting before the ticks disappeared on 6 Mar today. 

So I really don't have idea why the ticks disappeared.

In reply to chi fu cheuk

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

This happens to me quite often and I don't think I have changed anything but something must have changed to have this effect.  It is probably something that you think is totally unrelated but unless you have a database corruption, in my experience, there has always been something changed somewhere.  It might be in the gradebook, in the completion settings, in the quiz or with permissions but it is somewhere!

If you can post screenshots of your grader report and your quiz settings including completion and feedback settings that would help.

by chi fu cheuk -

Here are some screenshots of pre-assessment and 2 quiz setting.

pre-assessment

2 quiz

grader report

grader report - pre-assessment

grader report - 2 quiz

Really thanks a lot.

In reply to chi fu cheuk

by Emma Richardson -

1.  On the presassessment, you never let the students get their grades (marks) so that might be the biggest issue - Marks is unchecked for every area which is what gives students access to their grades. 

2.  On the grader report it appears that the preassessment is hidden.  This also will affect the grade visibility but , however, the grade should still appear.

You need to check your grade book settings for both the grader and user report and see how hidden items are handled in the gradebook.

Are there opening and closing dates for the quizzes?  What is the quiz behavior?  Have you tried running a regrade on the quizzes?  I am presuming there are attempts and grades on the quiz grading page?

by chi fu cheuk -

1. I have been thinking about this issue. But it seems even I set so, students can see the ticks.

2. Yeah, I also discover that. But how I can change it?

3. I have set open and close date for post-assessment only, and I have once extended a close date. And all weird things happen in all my Moodle courses (not only the course that is shown in the previous images) during this period.

In reply to chi fu cheuk

by Emma Richardson -

To change the hidden status, look at the activity on your course page.  From the edit menu, select Show.

Your preassessment clearly shows that only one student has completed it.  Are the other student's attempts still showing under the preassessment and the quizzes?  The fact that two are showing as completed indicates that the completion setting must be working.

Where is your Moodle hosted?  Is it possible that a backup was restored that erased the previous attempts?