Create a moodle failover system

Create a moodle failover system

by Chris P. -
Number of replies: 2

Hi dear Moodlers!

I launched 3 months ago a moodle website in order to provide infosec courses. I have not a lot of student for the moment, but I want to have the assurance they can connect whenever they want as they can work during WE also.

So what are the solution regarding the failover with Moodle?  (between 2 or more instances?)

I have 2 dedicated webservers, Moodle is currently in one of them. Is there any extnesion/plugin under moodle that enable a kind of synchronisation between both systems?? 

If not, we certainly have to proceed under OS level, is there any tutorial?  What are the pros & cons regarding synchronisation (realtime ? only during night once a day sync ? ??)

Thanks for your expertise!
Cheers

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris P.

Re: Create a moodle failover system

by Chris Wharton -

Hi Chris

Moodle is designed to be platform agnostic. The server hardware and software setup is the key to a reliable system with backup, failover, disaster recovery abilities etc.

Start by reading the performance recommendationsserver cluster, and site backup documentation.. Most of this information is not Moodle specific, it applies to any piece of web software. So google will be helpful if you look for things like load balancing and disaster recovery.

I'd recommend talking to a Moodle partner if you need more in-depth advice.

In reply to Chris Wharton

Re: Create a moodle failover system

by Chris P. -

Hi Chris

Thanks for your prompt answer!  You're right, I'll take time to read all these documentation and search further on the web. 

Kind regards