Moodle tip: Essay writing in Moodle

Moodle tip: Essay writing in Moodle

by Mary Cooch -
Number of replies: 9
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Not so much a "tip"' more of a collating of ideas, really. Hopefully people will comment with how  Moodle is used for essay writing in their own organisations and we can gather some good suggestions. So - in standard Moodle - what are the different ways students can write and submit essays, and what are the pros and cons of each?

Typing essays directly into Moodle

By selecting 'Online text' in the submission types of an assignment, it is possible to allow students to use Moodle's text editor to type and submit their essay. See Using assignment

Plus points:

• For shorter essays (no more than a few hundred words) it is easier for the student to type directly into Moodle than set up, write and upload a word-processed document.
  • There are no issues with compatibility of word-processing software programs on either the students' or the teacher's side.
  • (Since 2.6) teachers can add comments on the original text of the student essay, similar to writing on paper.
  • (SInce 2.7) teachers can impose a word limit on the essay and students get a warning message if they exceed it.

Word limit on online text

• (Since 2.8) text entered is automatically saved at regular intervals so students don't suffer if there is a connection problem.
  • With assignments, you can customise the scale or use a rubric or marking guide ("bank of statements")
Minus points:

• If your Moodle version is lower than 2.6, you don't get the recent benefits, particularly auto-saving, which could cause a problem in areas with poor internet connections.
  • It's harder to keep track of different drafts if this is important to you. Does the student copy and paste into the text editor each time they redraft? Do you set a new assignment? Do they only "submit" their final draft, in which case the teacher must keep checking and commenting on earlier versions?

Uploading word-processed essays

By selecting "File submissions" in the submission types of an assignment, teachers can allow students to upload one or more essays written in, for example MS Word ™   I suspect this is the most common way of submitting essays in Moodle, (although I have no actual evidence!) See Using assignment.

Plus points:

• It uses something many students and teachers are familiar with - word processing software.
  • Students create and save the essay offline before uploading to Moodle so there is no risk of work  being lost if there is a poor connection. With longer essays of several thousand words, this gives greater sense of security.
  • Teachers can allow more than one upload, allowing for storing of various drafts if needed - students name their versions "...v01, v02" and so on.
  • Teachers can use the "track changes" feature of word-processing software to comment on the essays and then reupload for the students
  • With assignments, you can customise the scale or use a rubric or marking guide ("bank of statements")

Minus points:

• Creating, saving and uploading a document gives more steps for the student than simply typing directly into Moodle
  • The teacher has to download each essay, comment on each one individually and then re-upload. Is this more or less time-consuming than going through 30 exercise books and commenting in biro?

Uploading essays as pdf files

By selecting "File submissions" in the submission types of an assignment, teachers can allow students to upload one or more essays written in, for example MS Word or saved as a pdf. Since 2.6 and if ghostscript is enabled on the server, when students can save their word-processed essays as pdf files and upload them to Moodle, teachers can comment on them directly on Moodle. See Using assignment

Plus points:

• Teachers no longer need to download, annotate and reupload each student's essay. The process takes place within Moodle and (providing ghostscript is correctly enabled) is already set up and involves no extra effort on the teacher's part
  • The usual advantages of using assignments for essays (customised scales, marking workflow etc, still apply)

PDF annotate

Minus points:

• It requires an extra step for the students to save their essay as a pdf before uploading.
  • The pdf annotating does take some practice to get used to.
  • Not all 2.6 Moodle sites will have the feature if they don't use the necessary ghostscript.

Using the Quiz essay question type

Although the Quiz activity is mainly used with question types with automatically graded answers, it is possible to add a manually graded essay question. See Question types

Plus points:

• The essay can form part of a  larger assessment, being included with other questions in the quiz.
  • Students can type their response directly into Moodle (although they can also upload a file)
  • (Since 2.5) teachers can create a template to 'scaffold' the students' answer to give them extra support.

Quiz essay template

• (Since 2.5) information can be included to help teachers grading the quiz, visible only to them.
Minus points:

• Because the essay is inside a quiz and not an assignment, it does not benefit from the assignment features such as custom scales, rubrics, marking workflow etc

Using the Lesson essay question type

The Lesson activity allows teachers to create branching scenarios and include a variety of questions, including an Essay question. See Building lesson.

Plus points:

• The essay can form part of a larger assessment, being included with other questions and scenarios in the Lesson.
  • Students can type their response directly into Moodle.
Minus points:

• Because the essay is inside a Lesson and not an assignment, it does not benefit from the assignment features such as custom scales, rubrics, marking workflow etc.

Conclusion

It all depends on your needs as a teacher and the needs (and to some extent skill levels) of your students. Note I have only included what is already standard in Moodle and I haven't covered deadlines, resubmissions etc, but it would be good to hear others' experiences.

Average of ratings: Useful (7)
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Moodle tip: Essay writing in Moodle

by dawn alderson -

OK.

PDfs.....do student budgets allow for this type of kit?.... I understand this is paid-for software.  If the institution does/does not provide this software then student needs to invest in it for home use.  I have never marked a single essay in PDf format.  And I am not aware of universities making this an option/requirement....and I know of no schools that use it....I know researchers and writers find it useful for copyright reasons when collaborating/peer-reviewing work.  Me, I could be naiive though.

What I do know is that MS word/Excel...and other software used for assessment/submission can also includes charts/diagram/tables functionality, thus not all written work is just words.  How do those things translate in the Ed? Screenshots of stuff would defeat the object-having created them elsewhere and I am not sure about the authenticity of SS, to be honest.

So, this is my understanding of practice as is= essay/assignment turned in via that software in the LMS and marking can be done using that TII software as well as checks for UP, this is convenient when marking a cohort of 100 + students....otherwise UP-checks can be long-winded.   

Alternatively, written stuff can be done in the moodle Ed and marked in gradebook (checked with TII) and there are a number of nice ways to use assignment/quiz for seamless sub/ marking/grading/tracking.

In reply to dawn alderson

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Re pdfs - it is  possible to convert word-processed documents to pdf for free within the software. LIbre Office has done this for years and I believe MS Word does it too, so there are no cost issues for students. And when teachers annotate the pdfs this is done within Moodle and doesn't require any external software.

Re other graphics, charts diagrams, in standard Moodle these would indeed be more easily done within a word processed or spreadsheet doc and uploaded, as  opposed to directly into the text editor. 

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by dawn alderson -

Thank you Mary.  Libre Office, MS word....with limited functionality-you only get so much free.....I could be wrong, of course.

When you say teachers annotate Pdfs within Moodle, I assume there is no prob with sync in terms of TII?

The reasonI pursue this you see, is because, as I said, I don't know of 'any' institutions that use this as an option/requirement for sub/general purpose???...Do you Mary? 

If so, be great to know that info, in order to share best practice. I know Ed institutions are keen to innovate and therefore....if there is merit in using Pdfs for assessment-or whatever purpose...well here is the place to share eh? 

Talking about Pdfs...a related issue is here, whereby the chap didn't get an answer:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=283523

I think in reponse to that thread , having learned more about Pdfs here.....I agree with Robert M, might be a good idea, what do you think Mary about that...Pdfs and the MOOC in that thread?  Joining the dots here smile 

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Paula Clough -

Just a note on the PDF production.  I found tutorials back to WORD 2007 on how to save as a PDF file.  Also Open Office Writer (free open source) has an export to PDF command.

cool

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Mary,

Thanks for this smile

It's good to get these mini overviews of the features available to teachers and curriculum developers from time to time. I like the way you've incorporated old and new features meaningfully so that it's immediately apparent and therefore more useful.

It may be worth mentioning for higher-education settings, that the Quiz Essay question type you've mentioned here may be useful for providing learners with an appropriately formatted template for academic papers, e.g. APA, Chicago, and Elsevier Harvard styles. Although they'd be a loose approximation, it's a good start for novice academic writers.

I think a popular extension of the Assignment module would be academic writing style templates (which could be made to be more detailed and accurate). I couldn't find anything of this type in the Moodle plugins repo.

Quiz Essay question type docs: https://docs.moodle.org/28/en/Question_types#Essay

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Matt Bury

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Matt,

Do you think that the Generico filter could be used to set up templates for essays in Higher Education? 

With kind regards,

Hartmut

In reply to Mary Cooch

by James Roberts -

This is a timely thread for me because I have a problem with Moodle essay questions.

Some background: I teach an introductory statistics course and I frequently use the Moodle (2.4) essay question embedded within a Moodle quiz. Students often have a series of calculations (I use wild cards or randomized cloze questions) and then I want the students to interpret their results. I do this through multiple choice questions or  short answers but in fact, nothing beats a short essay (one or two sentences) to know whether students understand the meaning of their calculations. For such an essay question, I typically disallow any attachments and restrict the font to monotype (unless I want students to have access to special math symbols).

My problem with essay questions is that I have no easy way to know which quizzes have an embedded essay question that requires manual grading. I have to look through all the quizzes of a course to ensure there are none yet to be graded.

It would be very useful if Moodle had a simple feature (say, different colour highlight) to notify graders of quizzes that remain to be graded manually. (If anyone knows an easy way to do this at present, please advise.) 

In reply to James Roberts

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi James,

If you can install addons, the Grade Me block will do what you want. Among other things that it checks, it will show you which quizzes have essay questions that need grading.

HTH,

AL

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Mary and the others

I know that Blogs are used a lot in exercises on writing. Can imagine the Wiki being useful too. Wiki has the advantage of the "history", the "talk" page, etc. But for real life situations the correction mode built in to most word processing programs is the one being used.

About the original post and the ensuing discussion, it is encouraging to see people talk of word processing, not just say Word (how deceptive?). About making PDF, I am pretty sure that OpenOffice could do it years before that feature came to MS Word. Today, when OpenOffice is mentioned, LibreOffice should be mentioned too.