How much space/bandwidth for 30 teachers?

How much space/bandwidth for 30 teachers?

by Adam Johnston -
Number of replies: 3
Hello,

Here's my dilemna.  I am going to be hoting moodle for my school and allowing all the teachers to use it.  We have 40 some teachers, and I am assuming most of them will use this to be safe, so around 30.  It will be used as a sidekick to their actual high school classes, not for distance learning.  So I doubt there will be much in the way of people using flash, or lessons and such.  ost of it will be using the calendars, forums, quizzes and gradebook. 

Given this, what do you think would be appropriate to get for a hosting plan.  I have two I am considering, One with tons of bandwidth (330Gb) and decent space (8Gb),  while the other is lower bandwidth (75Gb) but tons of space (50Gb).  I will be hosting the school website with this too, but it shouldn't take much of the resources, I am more worried with whether moodle will tend to gobble up space or bandwidth faster so I can choose the appropriate plan.

Thanks
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Adam Johnston

Re: How much space/bandwidth for 30 teachers?

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
I have a Moodle site with about 20 courses on it and the backup size is about 500mb.  Moodle itself takes about 40mb.  I have heard that moodle.org communities backup can be around 10gb, which I think no one will ever reach such a size.  So from that information, I would say that bandwidth is more important than space.  Now if you are the kind of teacher that requires students to upload lots of photos, powerpoint and audio files, then this advice could change.

by John Rodgers -
Hi Adam:

I used Moodle at my high school last year in a shared plan and it was a great and inexpensive way to test the software.  Looking at both the space and the bandwidth, I would say you have lots in either package. 

You might want to have a talk with their sales/technical people about the ability of their service to handle dynamic websites, particularly if you plan to have a class of thirty or so sign on all at once to do a quiz.  In my own experience the service I was using operated very well at the beginning of the academic year, even with a poor server set up, but by the end of the year had decayed to the point of making class-wide quizzes a dodgy prospect.

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
The performance will depend more on

a) CPU and RAM

b) internet connection speed (MBit/s) and latency (ping times).

This is an ongoing topic. Here are some pointers:
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=6920
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=25786

Also consider that some of the developers offer specialized hosting services.