How to back up one course to restore to another?

How to back up one course to restore to another?

by bub bub -
Number of replies: 5

I would like to create a course which will be taught by several teachers.

I would like to back it up after we have agreed to the course material and questions, and then restore it for the different teachers teaching it.

So if I was to create a linux course tc253, I would back it up. Then restore a copy of it for me with the name tc253A. then restore another copy for another teacher who is teaching another section of it, tc253B.

Is this possible. Oh please, Oh please tell me it is.

Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to bub bub

Re: How to back up one course to restore to another?

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi, bub (strange name smile),

I think that you can try this:

- Prepare your original course (we'll call it "A"). Create resources, quizzes...
- Backup it.
- Create a new, empty course ("B"). It should have the same format and number of sections (weeks or topics) than the original one.
- Asign teachers to B as you want.
- Restore course A backup into existing course B, without user info at all, I suppose.

(you can repeat this 3 steps (latest) for C, D ... and so on)

I think that this proccess could solve your problem...

Any feedback will be appreciated.

TIA and ciao smile
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by bub bub -

Thanks but that does not work.

You do not get a restore button until you backup.

I guess i could try to back up an empty course and then restore the full one so that I can get the Icon. I will give it a shot

In reply to bub bub

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
The course-page restore button visibility is actually improved since 1.1.1, but what you can do in 1.1.1 is just upload the zip using "Files...", and you will see a "Restore" link next to it.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by bub bub -

I tried what you said and I see not Restore link when I go to files.

Besides, when I go to files, it is uploading from the local machine. The backup, backed up to the server.

Would upgrading to one of the daily builds correct this?

In reply to bub bub

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi bub bub, smile

I suppose that you've executed the backup in your course "A", ok ?

Then, inside course "A", if you go to "Files" link (in the "Admin" menu) you should see a "moddata" dir, a "backupdata" dir and, another type of files...

Click on "backupdata" dir. Then you should see one or more "XXXXXXX_YYYYMMDD.zip" files. Everyone is a complete backup of your "A" course.

On the right of the name you should see some options. One of them is "Restore" ?

If you click it, the restore process will start. Then, if you are an administrator, you should be able to select "Restore to new course".

If you want, you can download that file to your local computer to archive it or use it in another Moodle places (you will have to upload it there).

Hope this helps, any feedback will be appreciated.

TIA and ciao, smile

PS: About upgrading to 1.2 you must consider that it's a "developer" version so, it shouldn't be used in production environments.