Modelling a correspondence course with moodle

Modelling a correspondence course with moodle

by Catalin Popescu -
Number of replies: 5

Hello all... I didn't find any post about this in the forum, so I ask it myself.

Sorry about the length of this post, please only answer quickly to some of the raised questions: any answer is better than no answer.

The users should be able to:

• share the same course materials
  • advance at their own pace, each section may take one 1 week, and another 4 weeks
  • there's a quiz at the end of each lesson
    • based on quiz percentage, the student passes to next lesson or not
Also (other needed features):
  • student has option to mark each lesson as read (or is this done automatically in moodle, when resource is accessed?)
  • teacher is able to add private notes about the student's progress, and all teachers can see these notes, but not the student
  • every now and then, there are live sessions, and the teacher must be able to know who was present and who was not, and this data be saved in a presence table.

Can this be done with the "out of the box" moodle?

Could you please suggest some blocks/plugins that may help in modelling this behavior?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Catalin Popescu

Re: Modelling a correspondence course with moodle

by Just H -

The users should be able to:

• share the same course materials
    Yes
  • advance at their own pace, each section may take one 1 week, and another 4 weeks
    Yes
  • there's a quiz at the end of each lesson
Also (other needed features):
  • student has option to mark each lesson as read (or is this done automatically in moodle, when resource is accessed?)
    Yes (see Activity completion)
  • teacher is able to add private notes about the student's progress, and all teachers can see these notes, but not the student
    Yes (see Notes)
  • every now and then, there are live sessions, and the teacher must be able to know who was present and who was not, and this data be saved in a presence table.
    Yes although need to install a plugin(s) (see Attendance module and block)
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Just H

by Catalin Popescu -

Since we're at it and you're so generous with the help, is there also a component to help with counting file downloads?

The only existing thread about this seems to be this 2006 one: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=59801. And the suggested link is no longer working.

Thanks!

In reply to Just H

by Catalin Popescu -

I'm finally starting to implement this course with moodle, and have some more issues:

Concerning the point: "advance at their own pace, each section may take one 1 week, and another 4 weeks"

That can be controlled, of course, by "Restrict access". But if a student is fast, and the Quiz is automatic, s/he could move on to the next section in the same day. However, I'd like to impose a 1 week distance between sections. Is there any way to configure moodle in this way? Or would I need to consider writing a custom restrict access plugin.

In reply to Catalin Popescu

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Catalin,

With the course format 'Periods' you can set the time for any section and hide future sections. So section 1 can be set to one week. After this topic 2 will be available. If your users should spent two weeks in topic 2, set the time period for this topic to two weeks. Then the next topic will be accessible. This course format has more nice features. Just try it out.

With kind regards,

Hartmut

Average of ratings: Useful (1)