Question types: Gapfill Question

Question types: Gapfill Question

Victor Santos發表於
Number of replies: 15

Hello,

I am having an issue with "Gapfill Question". (beta version (this version gives the correct answers): https://github.com/marcusgreen/moodle-qtype_gapfill/tree/gapfill_1.6)

As you can see in the image above, the Grade is 0.00 out of 10.00 when at least there 4 correct answers.
This is only happening with this question type.

Any idea what can cause this issue?

Thank you.

評比平均分數:Useful (1)
In reply to Victor Santos

Re: Question types: Gapfill Question

Marcus Green發表於
Core developers的相片 Particularly helpful Moodlers的相片 Plugin developers的相片 Testers的相片

Many thanks for the feedback Victor, this is exactly the type of question I was expecting people to use the question type with. I have just tried it with Moodle 2.7 and the sample questions that ship with the question type (in the sample_questions.xml) file and it appeared to work. Could you export the questions you have been using  as xml and post them as an attachment on this forum and I will try them myself. Can you confirm what version of Moodle you are using and the type of database (not that should make any difference at all).

Have you been using the previous version (1.5) with success?

I have a large number of automated unit tests I run over this code so it should be good, but there is no substitute for real people trying it out. I am hoping to present this version at Moodlemoot Dublin this year so it is time I completed testing and got it released.

Marcus

In reply to Marcus Green

Victor Santos發表於

Hi,

I am using Moodle 2.8.1 (Build: 20141113) / mysql

Version 1.5 worked fine, even this beta 1.6 was working fine untill 2 or 3 days apparently.

Ok, found that, If I answer all the questions the grade works fine, but If I only answer 2 of 10 even if they are correct the grade is 0.00.

Marcus Green發表於
Core developers的相片 Particularly helpful Moodlers的相片 Plugin developers的相片 Testers的相片

OK, I think it is something to do with where you have blank responses and the  question behaviour is deferred feedback. I will investigate and compare with how version 1.5 worked (and how other similar question types work). 

In reply to Marcus Green

Marcus Green發表於

For anyone else reading this, the green text in square braces is the new feature I have been working on for the 1.6 release. If show right answer is selected in review options the correct answer is displayed just after the gap, as in Victors screen shot.

Marcus Green發表於

I have updated the code in github 

https://github.com/marcusgreen/moodle-qtype_gapfill/tree/gapfill_1.6

And tested with the question example you posted plus 19 sample questions that ship with the question and the issue appears to be fixed.

Please give it a try and let me know if it works for you.

In reply to Marcus Green

Sourabh Maheshwari發表於

Dear Marcus,

I am having a similar problem with drop down gapfill. I think this is happening after the recent upgrade. I have drop-down all the correct answers but on submit and finish it grades it as zero however gives the same answers as correct answers. Please see the screenshot below.

Could you please suggest the changes I should do to correct this problem.

Thanks and regards,

Sourabh 

Gapfill drop down grading

In reply to Sourabh Maheshwari

Marcus Green發表於

Could you export to XML and attach to a post. Can you confirm that version of the question type is 1.6

In reply to Marcus Green

Sourabh Maheshwari發表於

Hi,

Attached is the XML file for your perusal. I could not locate the version but this is the file 'qtype_gapfill_moodle28_2006082513.zip' which I used to install the plugin and did the latest update as reported by moddle.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Sourabh

Sourabh Maheshwari發表於

Dear Marcus,

Any luck on this?

Thanks

Marcus Green發表於

My apologies Sourabh, it was a public holiday here since Friday and it fell off my to do list. I will look at it as soon as I can.

I notice that the question uses non ASCII script, I have had feedback from people using non ASCII style character sets so that should not be a problem.

Marcus

In reply to Marcus Green

Marcus Green發表於

I think I have found the problem. You use the curved braces within the question which get treated as special regular expression characters. If you edit the question and go to the More options area, check the "disable regex" option and the question should work.  

If you have admin access to your Moodle installation you probably want to set this as a default.  Go to Admin/Plugins/QuestionTypes/Manage QuestionTypes. Then select the settings link next to Gapfill. If you check the Disable Regex box all new questions will be set to disable regex by default. 

What language script is that by the way?

In reply to Marcus Green

Sourabh Maheshwari發表於

Many thanks Marcus. This is working now.

The language is Hindi and the script it is and many other Indian languages are based on is known as Devanagiri Script. I have used transliteration here which need not require specific fonts.

It would be great to have your Gapfill question type as a plugin in the Mobile app. Please let me know if you are doing anything on that front as well.

God Bless You!

Thanks and regards,

Sourabh

Marcus Green發表於

Thanks for the feedback Sourabh, it gives me great pleasure to know that my code is useful for so many people. I will look into your question with reference to the Mobile App.

Don Hinkelman發表於
Particularly helpful Moodlers的相片 Plugin developers的相片

Great plugin, Marcus!  Language teachers like me will love this. 

Some of my classes are iPad-only, or smartphone-only.  Has anyone tested this plugin on tablets or phones?

I had previous trouble with a DDOrder question type due to old YUI library code.

I am also thinking to add this plugin to our Moodle Association of Japan Hub for open courseware sharing (OER).  If someone can send me courses with gapfill OER content already made, I will build a special demo course there for download.

In reply to Don Hinkelman

Marcus Green發表於

Hi Don, 

My key objective in creating it was that it should be very easy for teachers to create questions.  I wanted the instructions to be no longer than the manual that comes with a standard domestic chair 微笑 In the end the instructions were slightly longer, a 7 word sentence as follows

"Put square braces around the missing words"

Once I have lured people in with ease of use, it turns out that there are useful things you can do that you cannot do with any other question type.

The awesome Al Rachels tested it on various mobile devices a while ago 

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=251406#p1092014.

I have re-pasted the results of his testing below. I test it against iPad mini and Motorola Moto G as those are the devices I have. The Mobile support is based on the JQuery plugin I have used, it is not something I have coded.

I have been meaning to create some English Language teaching content to demonstrate it. It does come with an xml file containing abtut 20 sample questions to illustrate how it can be used. Something I think would be of benefit to other question types.

Gap Fill question v1.4 (2006082512) testing on Moodle 2.6+ (Build 20140110).

Device

Drag and Drop

Drop Down

Gap Fill

Samsung Galaxy S4 smart phone using Firefox.

Works with finger.

Works but no down arrow indicator.

Automatically opens keyboard pop up.

Samsung Galaxy S4 smart phone using built in browser.

Works with finger.

Works and has drop down arrow.

Samsung Galaxy S4 smart phone using Chrome

Works with finger.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7 Inch tablet using Firefox.

Works with finger.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7 Inch tablet using built in browser.

Works with finger.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7 Inch tablet using Chrome.

Works with finger.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7 Inch tablet using Opera.

Works like gap fill. Will not work as drag and drop.

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Inch tablet using Firefox.

Works with both pen and finger.

Works but no down arrow indicator for both finger and pen

Automatically opens keyboard pop up for finger.

Automatically opens handwriting area for pen.

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Inch tablet using Chrome.

Works and has drop down arrow indicator for both finger and pen

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Inch tablet using built in browser.

Works but no down arrow indicator for both finger and pen

MS Surface RT using IE

Works like gap fill. Will not work as drag and drop. Finger only.

Works and has drop down arrow. Finger only.

Manually have to open keyboard pop up. Finger only.

MS Surface Pro 2 using IE

Works like gap fill. Will not work as drag and drop with finger

Works and has drop down arrow for both finger and pen.

For both pen and finger, have to manually open keyboard/handwriting area.

Works with pen.

MS Surface Pro 2 using Firefox

Works with both pen and finger and has drop down arrow.

MS Surface Pro 2 using Chrome

Works with both pen and finger and has drop down arrow.