Essential 2.8.1.3 for Moodle 2.8 released.

Essential 2.8.1.3 for Moodle 2.8 released.

by Gareth J Barnard -
Number of replies: 14
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Moodlers,

A few fixes and very minor improvements (for your enhanced user experience) in 2.8.1.3 from 2.8.1.2: https://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversion.php?id=8084

- FIX  : Adjust quiz report.
- FIX  : Adjust assignment grading to have blocks underneath for more space.
- REFIX: Issue #447: Essential overlapping of Admin Settings.
- FIX  : Issue #459: Messages Screen.
- FIX  : Issue #461: Missing function errors in 2.8.1.2 - upgrade now site is blank.
- FIX  : Issue #463: Notification Time Stamp Issue.
- FIX  : Issue #464: When 'layout' set then message screen is between 768px and 979px is broken.
- FIX  : Apply MDL-49078.

Cheers,

Gareth

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

Re: Essential 2.8.1.3 for Moodle 2.8 released.

by Alireza Meshkin Mehr -
Hi Gareth, 

When I upgrade my older version of Essential to this one, will it keep my theme settings as well as the custom CSS part ?

Regards

In reply to Alireza Meshkin Mehr

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Indeed it will, unless you have played with the theme code by changing CSS in the theme folder, rather than adding in theme settings. as whatever is in the folder will be overwritten by new one. but if you have customized the theme using its settings within moodle and adding CSS in the custom CSS section, everything will remain intact.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Alireza Meshkin Mehr -

Thanks Usman, 

I was wondering if I am to overwrite the whole theme folder in Moodle directory, then how could it keep my settings unchanged ? Is it saved somewhere else ? I got your answer. Just for my knowledge could you explain it ? Regards

In reply to Alireza Meshkin Mehr

by Just H -

If you use the custom CSS field the custom CSS you enter in that field is saved in the database (in the table "config_plugins" to be precise).

If you hack the CSS in the actual theme files then you will lose your modifications (unless you use GIT but that's a whole other level).

by Jason Lane -

Thank you Gareth for another update. 

Is there a way to disable the new 'This Course' dropdown in the navigation menu? Either by a theme setting or using custom CSS?

Many thanks,

Jason

In reply to Jason Lane

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Jason,

Sorry for not replying sooner.  I'm taking a break after many months of hard work on Essential.  What used to be only a trickle of bespoke questions has now become a flood so I am no longer answering bespoke customisation questions about the theme without renumeration as this has turned from part time learn new skills to full time work.  I'm not learning anything new that would be in my interest but rather turning the handle on the box I already know about.

Many kind regards,

Gareth

by Jason Lane -

Thanks for your contribution to this theme - it is simply Moodle's best. I am very aware of the work you have done. I would hope the entire Moodle community is equally as grateful as I am for the value this theme has added to the appearance of Moodle through your constant development. If only Moodle would stop upgrading every other week...

Re the 'This Course' drop-down, all I really needed was for 'people' to not show a list of participants to students in the course. Changing role permissions in the student role made this possible in Users > Permissions > Define Roles > edit Student role:

moodle/site:viewparticipants - set to 'Prevent'.

That drop-down is actually pretty awesome! Great work and a great addition!

Thanks,

Jason

In reply to Jason Lane

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Moodle updates weekly because it is constantly being improved/fixed in preparation for Moodle 2.9 which will be released in a few weeks time.

Anyway, if it is any consolation, I have this version of Essential theme working on Moodle 2.9 development branch and is looking good.

Cheers

Mary

by Richard van Iwaarden -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Love the theme, but have a question about the pulldown menu's. Previously they were set to 'auto', now they get a fixed width... 

I like the classname 'ignoredirty'... does that mean you are not to happy about this dirty-trick either smile

In reply to Richard van Iwaarden

by Gareth J Barnard -
To be honest I can't remember without looking.  Feel free to search the LESS for the reason why.

by Richard van Iwaarden -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

What is 'LESS'?