Moodle Discussion Forum as a block on MyHome Page

Moodle Discussion Forum as a block on MyHome Page

by Ashutosh Bhardwaj -
Number of replies: 6

Hi, 

I would like to display recent discussion topics from the general discussion forum of my moodle portal on students My Home page , which i am configuring from Appearance -> Default My Home Page (I hav the admin access). 

I found the latest news block, but that is suitable only for news / announcements that i will made sitewide. 

I like to have a similar block which display list of topics from the General Discussion forum (only one forum sitewide ). 

What is the best way to achieve this? is there a code snippet which i can utilize (that queries all the recent topics from the specified forum and display them) ? Or any HTML Shortcode ??

I would also like to register that as a block so that i can select it from the list of add block dropdown and place it accordingly (I am using Essential Theme , Moodle 2.8)

Please help, I am new to moodle (have wordpress background wink

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ashutosh Bhardwaj

Re: Moodle Discussion Forum as a block on MyHome Page

by William Lu -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

1. Enable RSS feed in a forum.

2. Add a RSS feed block in any course you want to

3. Add that Forum RSS feed and then select it.

Done.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to William Lu

by Ashutosh Bhardwaj -
Now i cant even find the rss feed url of the discussion forum i just created under a course in my moodle site

Also, Is there no way i can setup a sitewide general discussion forum, instead of course by course? 

Thanks

by William Lu -

Yes, you can create a forum at the front page, then anyone can access it.

You can either set it up at the main block:

main

Or at the center area.

center

HTH (if so, rate... as 'Useful'smile)

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to William Lu

by Ashutosh Bhardwaj -
Thanks that helped smile

Now How can i make rss feed of a forum public (without user token) so that it can be accessed by anyone ??

Thanks

by William Lu -

How are allow guest in. Normally, front page allows guest in already, just check your front page permission.

In reply to William Lu

by Ashutosh Bhardwaj -

I understand, But I just need it very simple. 

1. Like you see general forums e.g. stackoverflow everyone without login can view the discussions, they only need to login for reply / creating new thread.

2. And I need feeds without user token, just simple public feed without access token so that forum feed can be embedded to other parts of the website / other portals.

3. I can also see, logged in users (learners) do not have an option to reply to discussion started by admin. Any guess??

Thanks