Moodle 2.8.3 new access rules cause activities to be hidden in Teacher account

Moodle 2.8.3 new access rules cause activities to be hidden in Teacher account

by Naaman Fallouh -
Number of replies: 6

Hello,

I'd upgraded Moodle recently to 2.8.3 version and this causes all the existing activities and resources to appear in grey - as if they're hidden - in the teachers' accounts, see below snapshot:

Much more, I can see all other Teachers resources and activities which I shouldn't cause they were restricted in the "Common module settings" to be available for specific groupings.

What I saw is that the new "Restrict access" rules affects the Students only and have no effect on other kind of users, Teachers for example. Am I right in my thoughts?

And, mainly, how can I work around this problem? and have the activities and resources available only to the Teachers whom should could do that, and off-course not grey-ed ones?

Any help is appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Naaman Fallouh

Re: Moodle 2.8.3 new access rules cause activities to be hidden in Teacher account

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Teachers have full editing rights on the course and therefore will be able to see all resources, irrespective of groups - I don't think that's anything to do with your upgrade, I think that has always been the case.

In reply to Richard Oelmann

Re: Moodle 2.8.3 new access rules cause activities to be hidden in Teacher account

by Naaman Fallouh -

Thanks,

I'm totally aware of that, Teachers have full access on course, but previously I could prevent shared Teachers from getting access to others materials because of the feature `Available for group members only` see this: https://docs.moodle.org/28/en/Available_for_group_members_only

And now the restriction rules are for students only !!

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
What happens if you remove the capability moodle/site:accessallgroups from your teachers? See Groups FAQ and the question How do I restrict a teacher to view only the groups they are enrolled in?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Naaman Fallouh -

I've already applied the instruction in the Groups FAQ you'd mentioned, but still the same.

Here is the permission of the Teacher role in the site administration settings:

And here it is in the course level from a Teacher account:

by Przemek Kaszubski -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

"Prevent" might be too weak a setting ? Since you have upgraded, maybe course-level permissions override the site settings? Just a thought - this is a very interesting discussion for me.