Problems Installing on GoDaddy

Problems Installing on GoDaddy

by P L -
Number of replies: 21

Hello

I am attempting to get Moodle 2.8.3 running on GoDaddy, but all I get when accessing mydomain.com/moodle is a blank screen.

I have the moodle directory in public_html and moodledata at the root (outside public_html).

Here are my config.php settings:

$CFG->dblibrary = 'native';     // 'native' only at the moment

$CFG->dbhost    = '192.186.xxx.xxx';  // eg 'localhost' or 'db.isp.com' or IP

$CFG->dbname    = 'moodle';     // database name, eg moodle

$CFG->dbuser    = 'moodle1';   // your database username

$CFG->dbpass    = 'moodlexxxx

Website Location is $CFG->wwwroot   = 'http://mydomain.com/moodle';'

Datafile Location is $CFG->dataroot  = '/moodledata'; (note I have also tried /home/mydomain.com/moodledata and various other things.

I have also changed the permissions on both moodle and moodledata to 777.

I appreciate any help to get this resolved.

Thank you.

P

Average of ratings: -
In reply to P L

Re: Problems Installing on GoDaddy

by Bret Miller -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

For moodledata, try /home/your-username/moodledata.

If that doesn't work, perhaps enabling debugging would tell you what is wrong:

https://docs.moodle.org/28/en/Debugging

In reply to Bret Miller

by P L -

That didn't work. I also can't access the debug console.

In reply to P L

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

How did you install?  Are you on a GoDaddy hosted server, a VPS, or some other system?

In reply to Rick Jerz

by P L -

I am on a hosted server. I FTPd the moodle files into public_html and placed a moodledata folder at the root.

In reply to P L

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

When you say the Moodle files, I presume you mean the entire moodle folder?  So you should have a folder name moodle in your public_html folder?  If you just copied the files from within moodle folder into your public_html, then drop the /moodle from your url and in config.php.

If you have the moodle folder, have you checked permissions and ownership on the files?  While the moodledata folder location might cause issues later, you should still be able to get to the installer page so I suspect that the permissions are wrong - change moodle folder to 755 recursively and see if that helps.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by P L -

I have it working now.

Thanks for your help.

P

In reply to P L

by Rick Jerz -

Did you create a database, following moodle instructions?

Did you create a moodledata folder, not in public_html?

I have a working (experimental) copy of moodle 2.8 running on a GoDaddy hosted server, so I am confident that Moodle runs on GoDaddy.

Did you make any changes to php settings on you hosted server?  Do you have cPanel, and a Linux hosted server?

It may take awhile for us to help you get up and running, but I think that we can.  However, your eventual Moodle, in this hosted server environment, will work fine for smaller situations but not for big student environments.  It's a very good way to learn about moodle, maybe for 1 to 6 classes.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by P L -

Thank you.

I got it working. Turns out the database host is localhost and not the ip, which is what GoDaddy told me to put in there.

Thanks again for all your help.

P

In reply to P L

by john Simpson -

I considered godaddy recently, but on purchasing a domain name johnsimpson.ru, they priced it at 60,000 roubles. That's about $970 A rip-off !  just for a domain name. My johnsimpson.org was a fraction of that price.

In reply to john Simpson

by Rick Jerz -

Hmmm, I cannot confirm your claim.  I see that I can buy johnsimpson.ru for $14.99.

Attachment johnson.jpg
In reply to Rick Jerz

by john Simpson -

What I would like to know is why I can't find the offer you have, and it's all down to discrimination of IP addresses. This is what I got on third attempt, which is still too high at $104.69, as against your accepatable $12.99.

In reply to john Simpson

by Rick Jerz -

I don't know.  Here is one URLhttps://uk.godaddy.com/domains/searchresults.aspx?ci=83269&isc=gofhru04, but I am not sure if this is static.

I have seldom seen any domain name cost more than $15US on Godaddy.

Here is another link showing $14.99.  I purposely did this from another browser, just to see what would happen.

https://www.godaddy.com/domains/searchresults.aspx?ci=83269

I don't want to do this too much because the domain name might then get "locked".  If someone thinks that I really want to buy it, they might buy it and then auction it for $1000, if you know what I mean.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by john Simpson -

I tried your links, and I got different results from you. I continue to get extortionate prices from Godaddy.

I now don't trust Godaddy, and I know now that they are discriminating individuals according to their IP address, which will include British, American etc expats.

I no longer trust Godaddy, and will continue with my own honest and more trustworthy web hosts.

In reply to john Simpson

by Just H -
Hi John, did you change the currency in the dropdown? Just tried from here and it was $14.99 mixed but when I changed it it was 64K Ruble wide eyes
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Just H

by john Simpson -

Precisely, and if you search any currency conversion site for 64k rouble what do you have in dollars.

I now know that Godaddy wasn't intentionally trying to rip me off, but in their enthusiasm to let others with different country IP addresses have a quote personally converted into their local currency, they made a serious mistake of putting the decimal point in the wrong place. If they have made this mistake in other countries as well, then they have lost a helluva lot of customers throughout the world. They should have left well alone, and let everybody see the original web page with dollars. We are all capable of making our own conversations. I wonder if the British are being quoted £70 or £700 by godaddy instead of £7.

I was only giving Godaddy a trial, and they failed miserably. But yes I do need alocal ru domain, because Russians consider .ru sites as being local, and I will get it somewhere else now.

In reply to john Simpson

by Rick Jerz -

The good news is that you have a point of comparison.  Now you know that you can get it for $14.99 at GoDaddy.  It will be interesting for us to know how much better you did at other sites.

Remember that domains normally need to be renewed each year, so consider both the purchase cost and the renewal cost.  Some companies, like GoDaddy, will discount your first year, and then it will cost more at renewal.  Also, with GoDaddy, they will sometimes give you the discounted price for more than one year if you are willing to buy it for more.  So if you know that you really want a domain name for, let's say 5 years, make sure to ask for a 5 year price up front.

This is all "marketing" stuff.

Here's an interesting thing that I have found out about Godaddy.  If you become a customer and buy something simple, like a domain name, they will email you promotions for discounts on some of their other products.  So if you want to buy a VPS, for example, don't buy it initially.  Wait for a promotion.  As an example, I purchased my current VPS at 40% off!  It was some kind of Christmas promotion.  So I got my VPS for around $16/month instead of $30/month, for two years!

In reply to john Simpson

by Rick Jerz -

John, I am getting these kinds of emails from Godaddy about your desired domain name.  You will see that I can get a 20% discount.  So it appears that I could get this domain name for around $12US.

Attachment GoDaddy Discount.jpg
In reply to john Simpson

by Rick Jerz -

You can always phone GoDaddy.  I have always had good like with what I would describe as "great" phone support (for their web products, no specific products like Moodle).  Often, they will give you a discount on products to get your business.  Yes, they will also try to sell you other products of theirs, as any good company will do.

However, if all that you are trying to do is to get a domain name, there are many companies that you can buy a domain name from.  I cannot imagine any company charging more than $20US per year, unless they think customers are not good shoppers.  Or unless you want a domain name that has been purchased by someone else who thinks the domain name might be more valuable to someone, such as ibm.com.  The market is very competitive.