Posting MP4 w/Smart Player

Posting MP4 w/Smart Player

by Pam O'Connor -
Number of replies: 2

Hello. I'm looking for some guidance on a resource I am trying to post within my Moodle site. I have an MP4 that I created within Camtasia studio. The video contains a table of contents, so it needs the affiliated production files to play properly (as opposed to just attaching the video file alone). Is it possible to do this on Moodle?

Any and all guidance on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

-Pam

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Pam O'Connor

Re: Posting MP4 w/Smart Player

by Paula Clough -

Pam,

I love Camtasia Studio and used it the last 3 years at the college I was working for.  When we were using the Screencast.com accounts, we embedded the video in our Moodle, lesson, page, book or quiz and it played well from that site with all the interactive features working. The problem was that some of the teachers ran out of bandwidth on the site and all their students weren't able to access it.  When we tried to save it to other sites, such as YouTube, Kaltura, etc. it did not pull in those interactive features.  We needed to have the Smart Player involved.  I don't know if Moodle can be made to easily pull that player in or if you need to put it on another server to make your own video server with the Smart Player.  I am including links below to the information on the TechSmith website in case some of the other more server/programer types know more about it.

Check out the information.  Options talked about in PDF:

• To share videos in LMS- use Screencast and embed in LMS or save as a SCORM to put into LMS
    • Will not save grades, if quiz feature is used, in gradebook. Grades must be added by hand to LMS gradebook.
    • SCORM tutorial
  • Use own server/website with the player. There is a link to how to host your own website with that player on it. (link here) 

NOTE: videos can be saved in video format with the player attached as well as without. Don't know if that would make a difference.

cool

In reply to Paula Clough

Re: Posting MP4 w/Smart Player

by Pam O'Connor -

Paula- Thank you so much for your response!The resources you posted were very helpful.After reading through my options, I ended up publishing to SCORM and posting directly to the LMS, instead of embedding the video w/Smart Player into eLearning authoring software and then republishing.

Thanks again!!!Greatly appreciated!