PHPMail

PHPMail

by Steve Ovenell -
Number of replies: 1

Hi Guys,

Could do with some help setting up email functionality in Moodle, please be aware I am a total noob to this!!

So I installed Moodle on our hosted website and setup email using the Plugins - Message outputs - Email interface, but to no avail.

So I installed a standalone version on my laptop, did the same thing and this worked successfully.

After querying the hosting company I was told they don't allow 'authenticate to an external mail server from Moodle' and that I needed to use "sendmail or phpmail".

I have an out of the box install and not really sure how to proceed and don't won't to start fumbling around in various php files. Is anyone aware of an idiots guide to configuring this or could anyone provide some advice (baby steps).

Regards,

Steve 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steve Ovenell

Re: PHPMail

by Heather Williams -

I'm not totally sure how your hosting is set up, but in my experience if you clear out the SMTP Hosts setting in the Message Outputs -> Email page, then Moodle should use whatever email service is set up on your server. So if they have sendmail or phpmail already installed and running, then it should work?

In that settings page it says this under the SMTP hosts field: "If you leave this field blank, Moodle will use the PHP default method of sending mail."

So if you clear that field out and email still doesn't go through, then you need to contact your hosting company.