Best Auth/Enroll option for this use-case?

Best Auth/Enroll option for this use-case?

by Isaac Savage -
Number of replies: 3

Greetings,

I have two main questions for this group:

1. Is it possible for Moodle to use 2 instances of the Authentication/Enrollment options? For example, I'd like to control the auth/enroll from two or more different sources using the same "Method." Is this possible with any of the default Methods?

2. Is there a document that goes over the pros/cons of the different options? For instance, why would I want to use "IMS enterprise" versus "External Database" for enrollment? Or "IMAP" versus "RADIUS" for Authentication? 
My goal is to create a "standard" that I use that will be easy to setup on the Moodle-side, for every instance that I interact with. I'm not really sure how to approach deciding which options are best. Do any of you have opinions on the best strategy? 

To clarify, my use-case is to utilize my database and easily control auth/enroll into various instances of Moodle that are manged by a 3rd party. My main priority is to make it easy for the 3rd party Moodle-admin to get their end set up. And, I'm hoping to find a solution that will work even if they're already using the same "method" with another source of data.

Thanks for the help!

Isaac

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Isaac Savage

Re: Best Auth/Enroll option for this use-case?

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I think it will depend on the option.  You can duplicate the LDAP module and make that work.  There is a forum discussion somewhere (try searching ldap multiple domain patch or something like that) that actually has some patches posted that make it pretty simple.  I would imagine that you can do the same for other methods as well.  However, it is not a simple builtin process and does require some patching of core code.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Isaac Savage -

Thanks, Emma.

So, it's just a matter of duplicating the plugin if it's already being used. Cool.

Any thoughts on pros/cons of LDAP over other methods?

In reply to Isaac Savage

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

It all depends on what external source you are tapping into.  We use active directory so we are tied to ldap.  We have two domains so I had to duplicate the plugin to access both of them.  It is working really well and also allows to use LDAP enrolment into courses and I also assign users to the site by the use of a security group (not in the Moodle group, you can't access the site!) 

I imagine that external database might work the same way - I have just never used it.

If someone hasn't come up with a patch, the plugin duplication takes some work as you have to go through the files and change the name wherever it is referenced.

The good thing is that once you have the duplicated plugin set up, you should be able to share that with your other sites for fairly easy install or just run the patch that Inaki has so kindly provided for us to use.  Just note that it will need to be addressed again on any upgrade...