I'm confused! Why is it still showing????

I'm confused! Why is it still showing????

by Tina Smith -
Number of replies: 7

I have a class set to begin tomorrow...and I'm still completing it, so I don't want them to see it yet, but I want people to be able to still sign up. I thought that having it "show" but not start until 2/26, that it would enable people to sign up but not see anything yet.

But I created a test account to see what it looks like and it's showing them the course work!  It's an incomplete list, so I don't want them to see it yet! I went and removed the "student" role from every enrolled student, thinking that would make it go away, and I can add it back in manually later, but that's not working either, so I obviously am not understanding how this works.

Can someone please walk me through how to do this? I want them to see that they are enrolled, but not be able to see the actual class until tomorrow morning. 

And that's another thing...I don't see a way to set the time it starts either? 

Help??

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tina Smith

Re: I'm confused! Why is it still showing????

by Tina Smith -

Ok, I figured something out...now that they are not students, they cannot see the actual assignments, only the labels and the files I directly uploaded. I can work with this.

So my work around, I'm seeing is to UN-student them until I'm ready for them to see? Is that the only way to do this? Then tomorrow morning when it's ready, I can add back the role of student to everyone?

There's got to be a better way...but this could work for me for now, at least.

If anyone has a better way to do this, I'd love to hear it.

In reply to Tina Smith

by Steven Swanson -

Why not just hide the course. They won't have any access and all you have to do is say "show" when you're ready.

In reply to Steven Swanson

by Steven Swanson -

Also, just in case you need to have the course available, you can "hide" each section. "show" only the sections you have finished.

In reply to Steven Swanson

by Tina Smith -

Thanks. But when I hid it it no longer showed for them to sign up. Is there a way to hide it that make it not disappear completely? I want them to still be able to sign up.

In reply to Tina Smith

by Mauno Korpelainen -

As Steven said you can hide each section separately - or you can even hide and show all actvities separately. Just turn editing on and use icons like

hideandshow

or check the menu options.

menus

In reply to Tina Smith

by Mark Sharp -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I would hide the Topics/Weeks (depending on the course format you've chosen). This would leave the course visible, but not the content except the summary at the top.

In reply to Mark Sharp

by Tina Smith -

Thank you so much you guys! And Mark, I think that's exactly what I needed to know. That's what I went ahead and did, and put a time of 8am tomorrow for it to be visible...hopefully that works! So far nothing that I don't want showing is showing, and the course is still visible, so seems to be the right combo! smile

THANK YOU!!!

I really appreciate all the hand holding as I figure this out. I know I'll fully get it eventually...I'm learning so much through trial and error and come here when I have specific questions I can't figure out. You guys rock!!