FAQs for Students

FAQs for Students

by Laura ***** -
Number of replies: 14

Hello,

I am in the process of creating a main portal page for our Moodle courses and I was thinking of putting some sort of FAQ section on the main page for our students. 

Has anyone created such a thing?  What type of questions did you put in it? 

Thank you !

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Laura *****

Re: FAQs for Students

by Jan Dierckx -

Good idea! I think it would be easiest to just add the questions you often get from students and share them with other teachers using Moodle. My try is in the tips & tricks glossary on this page. I wanted to use the random glossary entry block to weekly show a new tip about working with Moodle. That's why most of the entries are really short ones. They are based on questions I got from my students. Feel free to us the attached glossary, although it doesn't include the pictures.

In reply to Jan Dierckx

by John Blake -
Jan,
After I upload this file to my Moodle, how do I make it work on my Moodle site?
In reply to John Blake

by Jan Dierckx -
  • open an existing glossary or create a new one

• click on the import tab

• indicate that you want to import the glossary.xml file into a new glossary

• you now have a glossary with some hints on using Moodle

• set the glossary format to faq

• you can have students and teachers add questions to it

More options:

• add the random glossary entry block to your course

• in the configuration page for this block, make sure you select the glossary you created for adding faq

• set the number of days it should display each faq before randomly choosing another one

I've noticed that the images are links to my site. I don't know how this can be solved automatically. Please copy them from my site to yours and change the links.

In reply to Jan Dierckx

by John Blake -
Jan..you are great! These instructions worked perfectly for me. But, when after I added the FAQ glossary to my course, and attempting to add a random glossary entry block to my course, I could not find were to do this...Please help me.
In reply to John Blake

by Jan Dierckx -
  1. Go to the course where you added the glossary to

2. Make sure editing is turned on. If it isn't, click on the button Turn editing on at the top of the page

3. Now you should see a little box at the bottom of the page entitled blocks and with a little dropdown menu in it.

4. select Random Glossary Entry from the dropdown menu.

5. there should be an extra block added to your course page. Click on the edit icon inside the blocks header to configure the block.

(All of this assumes you are using Moodle 1.5.x.)

In reply to Jan Dierckx

by John Blake -
I have recently updated to version 1.5.2 (I think). I have two glossaries in my Moodle. Does one of them have to be designated as a primary glossary? Currently they are both "secondary glossaries". You can see in this screen grab, I still, do not have the option to select Random Glossary from the dropdown menu.
Attachment random.jpg
In reply to John Blake

by Jan Dierckx -
Strange... the block is installed because you can see it
It doesn't show up in the blocks dropdown menu, just like the remote news feed block.
Maybe some blocks have been disabled / hidden by your site admin?
(If you're logged in as admin you can check this at http://www.incsub.org/moodle/admin/blocks.php)

In reply to Jan Dierckx

by John Blake -
Can not see anything blocked...I am the admin.
Attachment blockphp.jpg
In reply to John Blake

by Jason Hando -
Hi John,

I think by "you can see the block" Jan meant in the moodle tree on your site (see screen grab below). The glossary_random folder is in your blocks folder and the correct php file and html file are in that folder. Unless they have been corrupted in some way in which case you can download a fresh copy via cvs.

When installed there should be block called "Random Glossary Entry" in your moodle admin>config>blocks section. From your screen shot it is clearly not there.

i have checked two of my moodle sites - one using random glossaries in courses and another not yet using in any courses and the block shows up in both. So perhaps all I have done to help you is confirm you have a problem.

Is it possible to do another fresh install with say 1.5.2+ (latest) and see if the problem still exists? This may help troubleshoot.

Cheers,
Jason
Attachment see_block.gif
In reply to Laura *****

by Kevin Kelly -
Hi,

We put a couple different things on our FAQ page for San Francisco State University Students: http://cet.sfsu.edu/ilearnstudents

Look at the five sections for students about our Moodle installation: Getting Started (includes PDF Quick Start Guides), Online Success, Support, FAQ and Resources

We are working with some Instructional Technology students to create little screen capture movies for students who are not text-based learners.

Suggestions for improvement are always welcome. We are working on an extremely short staff right now 4 out of 8, so we may be slow to add to this, but I will keep all the comments.

Kevin

Kevin Kelly
Assistant Director
Center for the Enhancement of Teaching
San Francisco State University

<><><>

In reply to Kevin Kelly

by George Kennedy -

Quote "We are working with some Instructional Technology students to create little screen capture movies for students who are not text-based learners."

Have you looked at using Wink?

WINK makes it easier to teach people how to use software programs, especially those learners who are visual learners.

The author, Satish Kumar, has a website

www.debugmode.com

On this site open WINK and watch the brief tutorial.

Very easy to use.

George

In reply to Laura *****

by Eduardo Escalante -
Laura:

We have a Moodle Portal at http://ticedu.uvm.cl (sorry it is in Spanish). We created a FAQ section for Studentds and Teachers. Most of the FAQ are acompanied by images.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards

Eduardo Escalante