Calendarblock not working in Front Page

Re: Calendarblock not working in Front Page

by Federica Marra -
Number of replies: 10

Nobody has an idea about this issue?

In reply to Federica Marra

by Steven Swanson -

I may be able to help you. First a couple of questions.

You want to see calendar events on the frontpage, that are in the courses?

Can you give me an example of one of the events in your calendar?

Who is supposed to see the calendar events? Could I be in a course called "HR training" but see the events for a course called "safety procedural training"?

-Steve

In reply to Steven Swanson

by Federica Marra -

Hi Steven, thanks for your answer.
Before answering you I would like to explain you a bit the situation because yesterday I just found out this "bug" that it is not related with the block position (home page or course page) but with calendar's settings.

You have to know that I'm an administrator (with another person) in our platform but also student in some courses, BUT when I go to calendar settings and I enable "Admins see all" I don't even see the events of the courses I'm student in!

1) Admins see all: No --> I can see my courses' events in the calendar

2) Admins see all: YES --> I can only see one group event that doesn't belong to me and nothing else!

We have indeed more courses that the ones where I'm student in and I don't know how is it possible that I can see this  group event but no other events (other courses planned in March for example)

So for now..  How can I (as admin) see all the courses' events in the Calendar? 

Thanks for your time, I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or the problem is somewhere else.

by Steven Swanson -

Interesting. What version of Moodle are you using?

How many courses do you have on your site?

In reply to Steven Swanson

by Federica Marra -

We are currently using the 2.7.1 version and we have about 90 courses (the open courses are about 15)

by Przemek Kaszubski -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Msut you be an admin and teacher/student from the same account? I've recently decided against that for one reason : I always see more than other teachers / students and my advice for them can be unreliable.

So I now use a separate admin account in another browser if needed.

Regards.

In reply to Przemek Kaszubski

by Federica Marra -

I'm more admin than student, but in the platform we do have training for the staff also.
If you think it can cause problem I will add another account, although I think that this is not where the calendar problem stems from. I also checked with a (completely)student account and they cannot see anything planned in the calendar. mixed

by Przemek Kaszubski -

Yes I do think trobleshooting this for an "ordinary" (non-admin, non-manager) account is your priority, considering your users.. I don't rely on the calendar on the front page. I sometimes force a calendar block on the default My Home page, so far I have not received complaints, but I haven't tested in depth.

Remember also that there are those settings restricting visibility:

Days to look ahead

Events to Lookahead  

in the site admin's calendar settings

In reply to Przemek Kaszubski

by Federica Marra -

Thanks for your advises. 
What do you mean with "force" a calendar? 

The settings for the days and events to look ahead are 99 days and 10 events. However I don't think it is related with the strange functionality of the "admin see all" capability.. Do you have idea about it? The other admin is not a student in any courses and he has the same visualization problems.

by Przemek Kaszubski -

"force" a calendar => Impose obligatory Calendar block on default My Home page. Not sure this connects with your problem, but you might want to see if My Home behaves any differently than Home (= Front page) in this respect.

Steven might have a point regarding the number of events and courses etc. How busy are your courses? Are there many events there? Any quiz or assignment produces calendar events. As admin, I don't think I would want to view all that ..

It could also be that this is a problem with 2.7.1.. You'd need to search the tracker or review the changes log - maybe you'll find something - https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Category:Release_notes .

This tracker search https://tracker.moodle.org/issues/?jql=text%20~%20%22calendar%20front%20page%22 shows some results similar to your problem (judging by the title), but they mostly concern old Moodle versions. You might want to dig deeper into this.

This is as far as I can help I'm afraid.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Steven Swanson -

I tested your problem on a Moodle site with 2.7.3 and could not replicate the problem. It worked perfectly for me. I did read on another forum post that it may not work because of a maximum of courses have been reached. This makes sense, because your calendar would be ridiculous with a 100 courses worth of events on it. However, I could not confirm this is the case. The only other difference I can see is that I am running 2.7.3 which may have fixed this issue.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)