Selecting "Grades" within Course giving 500 error

Selecting "Grades" within Course giving 500 error

by Ryan W -
Number of replies: 4

Hello All,

I am experiencing an issue where when Grades is selected within the Course it gives a 500 error similar to below. I have done some searches but all have rendered to be for an older version and do not pertain to the issue at hand. When I go to other courses and select "Grades" it appears to pull up with no problem. Looking at the error log on the server it appears that it's giving a 500 error "file does not exist" on the 500.shtml with the referrer being the grade page. Can anyone offer any advice/suggestions?

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.2.25 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.25 OpenSSL/1.0.0-fips mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4  Port 80

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ryan W

Re: Selecting "Grades" within Course giving 500 error

by Hittesh Ahuja -

Go to site admin ? debugging > turn debug on and show developer messages ( tick) and reload the page again 

In reply to Ryan W

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Turn on Debugging to get a more detailed error message.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ryan W -

Thank you for this information. It returned the same result after changing the above requested settings.

In reply to Ryan W

by Ryan W -

Figured out the fix that worked for me. Hopefully this helps others that may have this issue.

From one of the courses that worked I identified that the php uses id=(whatever) so I knew that a specific course had a specific ID. I then went to another part of the gradebook like "user report" or something else from the drop down other than grader report. You then change out the ID in address bar appropriately to reflect the other id (the broken ID)

This was my temporary workaround, I then dived in a bit further. In the drop-down menu you will see "My preferences: Grader report" --> Select this. 

On this page scroll down to general and in my case I adjusted the "Students per page" variable. Once I downsized that it cleared the 500 error.

Trial by error/fire. Gotta love it! If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again. (William Edward Hickson)