One SCORM package multiple courses?

Re: One SCORM package multiple courses?

by Farhan Karmali -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

I have a similar requirement, where I have to use one SCORM package across multiple courses. I have an  additional challenge that the new course has to be created using webservices and it has to import from an "old" course that has this SCORM package.

The "old" course has the scorm module uploaded using file system repository.  I have 2 issues now

When I import the course , the scorm file is duplicated in the new course, which I dont want, I just wanted it to point to the old file

If I take a manual backup, delete files folder from the mbz and then restore the backup. The scorm file doesnt work. !! someone please help me out. Will this patch https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-44548 do the trick for me?

In reply to Farhan Karmali

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

Have you tried linking to the scorm imsmanifest.xml file instead of uploading the scorm package into Moodle. That way you can re-use the scorm package across multiple courses and it will prevent the duplication you mentioned.

1. Create a file respository.
  2. Upload the scorm package into a folder in that repository.
  3. Add a scorm activity to your courses where you want to use that scorm package.
  4. Select External Scorm Manifest as the Type in the General settings of the activity.
  5. Use the web url to link to the imsmanifest.xml file, http://yourschool.com/your_repository_name/yourcourse_folder_in_the_repository/imsmanifest.xml
  6. Repeat the above in all the other courses that you want to use that same scorm package in.

I don't know if this will meet your "new course has to be created using webservices" requirement, but without more info about that web service it's hard to suggest anything.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Luis de Vasconcelos

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

And the beauty of this method is that when you update the scorm package in that repository all the courses where you link to that package will automagically pick up the new scorm package.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Luis de Vasconcelos

by Robert Fenwick -

Hi Luis,

I followed your steps and they worked perfectly.  My only problem is that I can't work out how to secure that folder so that it is not visible to anyone who discovers the URL while at the same time being accessible to Moodle.  Any hints?

Thanks

Rob Fenwick

In reply to Farhan Karmali

by Robert Fenwick -

My preferred solution is to see the release of MDL-44548 but no amount of scrounging through the issue itself, roadmaps or releases seems to inform me as to when I might see it in production - it doesn't look to me like it has made 2.9?  

How would I find out?

Rob