Viewing Set Passwords for Users

Viewing Set Passwords for Users

by Jacqueline Watkiss -
Number of replies: 5

Hi there,

I previously bulk uploaded a lot of new users. I did this some time ago and I don't know exactly what I've used for their passwords.

I need to send information out to these people so they can log in to the course I've created but I don't know how to find their previously set passwords.

Do I need to delete them all, create a new CSV file and start again? Or is there some way of viewing their passwords?

I'm new to Moodle (can you tell? wink and I'm using version 2.5.2

Any help you can give me will be appreciated!

Jacqueline

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jacqueline Watkiss

Re: Viewing Set Passwords for Users

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

You do not need to delete them.  Just reupload the original csv file or a new one with the passwords and make sure to select update existing users and update existing passwords.  That will take care of it.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Jacqueline Watkiss -

Thanks Emma - I was hoping there'd be a field which showed current passwords (to admin only). I'll re-upload CSV file as suggested. Thanks for getting back to me smile

In reply to Jacqueline Watkiss

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

No problem.  For security issues, the passwords are not stored in plain text anywhere.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Velson Horie -

Thank you for the previous replies, but you did not answer the original question. 

I am a similar position, except that it is only one user that seems somehow to have suffered a glitch with a changed password - or at least the one I set no longer works.  I had set the admin option that users cannot change the password.

Is there any way that I can view the passwords that are currently active?

In reply to Velson Horie

by Emma Richardson -

Actually I did answer the question.  The passwords are NOT stored in plain text - this means that you cannot see them anywhere.  You can only reset them.