Cleaning up a course

Cleaning up a course

by Howard Miller -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Thoughts on new feature... sort of...

How do other people handle moving from testing a course to going live? What I mean is, how do you remove all the flipant Journal entries and bogus quiz answers.

My thought is to have an administrative function to purge a course of all 'student' input. This may also be useful at the end of year when you want to get back to the start.

I'm honestly not sure if this is the/an answer and wondered if anybody had any thoughts.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Howard Miller

Re: Cleaning up a course

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Such a button would be *great*.

In the meantime you can use Backup/Restore to get the same effect.

by Sean Keogh -
This would be one for Eloy's backup/restore module I think. You can backup a course *Without* user data, then restore it under a new name. I believe that would be an easy way to do it, anyway.
In reply to Sean Keogh

by Les Kopari -

Unless you've made changes during the course that you want to keep.

Or unless you want to just drop the few students who've withdrawn from the class.

In reply to Sean Keogh

Re: Cleaning up a course - "Recycle Course"?

by Ray Kingdon -
Yes, that's sounds good. In the latest version of Blackboard they've added a "Recycle Course" function to the teacher's admin screen. That seems to me a good name. If that could do a behind the scenes Backup (without user data) and restore it would be neat. The Blackboard recycle function also gives you the option to drop various parts of the course but I don't see that option as necessary. In Moodle it's easy to go in and prune content from the "recycled" course.

by Ger Tielemans -

The other way around would also be nice:

To store depersonalized quizzes with all the given answers in a course related datamine, so you can start for the next years a littlebit QA on your course related sets of questions. (Of course only the questions with the closed answers)