Excellent video about the strength of communities

Excellent video about the strength of communities

by Tim Hunt -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Average of ratings: Coolest thing ever! (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Excellent video about the strength of communities

by dawn alderson -

mmmmm.........

I heard:

1. institutional vs 2. Community

1. theory-led; culture is based on individual gain and outcome-led,-risk of stagnation and poss loss of longevity 

2. not restricted by theory; culture is based on collective and ongoing processes for evolution-the collective become the product that is validated and supported by the community-which can lead to greater longevity 

these are large claims....

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Frankie Kam -
Picture of Plugin developers

Pearl vs C++, Wikipedia vs Encarta, Love, fellowship, sharing & community needs versus closed proprietory systems. Thank you Tim for this gem of a video. I guess that's what Moodle is all about, eh?

wink

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Thanks for sharing Tim,

Clay Shirky's a good motivational speaker, a great sales person for his books, and a darling of the venture capital driven silicon valley attempts to undermine public education.

Unfortunately, the problem isn't the words, expressions, and language that people in education use - everyone's going on about online learning communities, Communities of Inquiry, etc. - the problem is what those people actually mean in practice, i.e. How that translates into real-world learning experiences for their learners.

Remember our discussions about the differences between formative and summative assessment? How I think that the word "formative" has become essentially meaningless (i.e. indistinguishable from summative assessment) as it is practised in many education systems and environments?

Alfie Kohn wrote an interesting article about how progressive language tends to get used in education: http://www.alfiekohn.org/blogs/regressive/

And translated into practice, it tends to look more like this: http://www.alfiekohn.org/blogs/discovery/

Just my €0.02! ;)

Average of ratings: Very cool (1)
In reply to Matt Bury

by dawn alderson -

I remember a heated discussion during the first MOOC between you both (Matt & Tim), I was sparkly new to this world, thus I ducked out of the sparks, but I read the arguments nevertheless.

I have always aligned expectations about formative- type/summative- type assessment with the particular ed sector in hand smile  So, here we go (look out!)

*nursery: baseline them in.....summative assess them out -based on baseline assess (everything in between is formative e.g. pen-portraits/child dev milestones/curriculum expectations)

*Early Years: same

KS1....formal tests year 2 end of year...that is the summing up....everything else formative...

K2 2....same

Secondary...well we all know that set up...GCSE / A-level summative....formative can be more than achievement given the project work that was introduced for said quals there and different teachers will have their own skills/technique formative type achievement projects/testing and so on

Uni....modular system so summative is end of module scores....that contribute an overall agg score for degree classification

The above is for England and Wales...because I know these systems   

I am not so clear about Scottish Highers and other systems that might vary-will look it up one day-I think it is interesting to consider F/S assess across continents too, especially in consideration of weighting either way. 

smile