Cannot figure out how to make self registration possible. SIGH

Cannot figure out how to make self registration possible. SIGH

by Tina Smith -
Number of replies: 12

I'm sorry to keep bugging you, you guys...but you've just been so very helpful so far...

I truly have tried and tried on this one...I figure it's something simple and I'm just missing it...but this whole process is starting to make my head swim. It seems so much more complicated than seems necessary! UGH!  But for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to get a simple registration link to show on my homepage for new people. So far it only shows log in, no matter what I do. And I've been all over the admin panel fiddling with things and read tons of tutorials and posts....nothing is working.

I'm not even sure what to tell you about what I've tried because I've tried so much and it's all a blur now.

Can someone just give me really simple step-by-step instructions as to how to get that darn registration link on my Moodle?? I feel like if I can figure that out, the rest might just fall into place. 

I've even enabled Paypal already and got that set up, but there's no way to send people to register yet!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tina Smith

Re: Cannot figure out how to make self registration possible. SIGH

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

What are you trying to do to make that work? In standard Moodle the link only appears in the login page. However, there's nothing to stop you copying and pasting the link (from the login) page to, for example, an HTML block on the front page

In reply to Howard Miller

by Tina Smith -

I've gone all through the site admin, including site admin>plugins>authentication>email-based self registration which all looks like it's enabled properly but still there's only login.

Here's the Moodle install, if you want to look: www.homeschoolrealm.com/moodle

In reply to Tina Smith

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

On the page  Site administration>Plugins>Authentication>Manage authentication, can you confirm that you have scrolled down past the list and in Common settings set Self registration to "Email-based self registration"? (See the second paragraph in Enabling email-based self-registration in  the Email-based self-registration documentation.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Tina Smith -

Mary Cooch, I friggin LOVE YOU!!!!!

I read that but somehow didn't fully understand it apparently and missed that second step!!!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

Looks like I am going to be open for business today, thanks to you!

Now I just have to get the rest of my classes completed!!

Moodle rocks! I am having SO MUCH FUN finding ways to make homeschooling more independent for my kids and now I can make a little money and help some other moms too! WOOHOO!!

SO EXCITED!!!

But stay tuned because I'm sure I'll run into more problems, lol!!!

You have made my day, Mary!!!

In reply to Tina Smith

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Tina, I happened to click on your moodle link and I notice a "redirection."  This often happens when one moves moodle around, and forgets to make changes in config.php.  You might want to take a look at this.  config.php is in your moodle folder.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Tina Smith -

Thanks for the heads up! That's weird because I didn't move it at all. How do I fix this?

In reply to Tina Smith

by Peter Bowen -

You put the link containing www, but the config.php doesn't have www

In short, advertise your link as "homeschoolrealm.com/moodle/", not "www.homeschoolrealm.com/moodle"

Cheers
Peter

In reply to Peter Bowen

by Tina Smith -

OH!! I see! That explains why sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't....

Is there a way for me to make it so that either will work? I'm sure people will still use the www...I mean, at least it redirect properly, but it might confuse some people and I'm afraid they will click away before it redirects.

In reply to Tina Smith

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

The change is made in config.php.  Your browser should then work with or without the www.  (This is a browser feature.)

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Tina Smith -

Yes, but WHAT change? I don't know what to do in config.php. I looked in there to see if I could figure it out and I can't. What exactly do I need to do? I need specifics. Thank you!!