Emailbased Authentication but no email

Emailbased Authentication but no email

by Gunilla Brattberg -
Number of replies: 8

In Moodle 2.8.3 I have chosen email-based self-authentication but there is no email sent to the emailaddress. Why is that and what can I do to send the confirmation mail from Moodle?

/Gunilla

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gunilla Brattberg

Re: Emailbased Authentication but no email

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Is the cron running for a start? Have you configured mail?

In reply to Howard Miller

Svar: Re: Emailbased Authentication but no email

by Gunilla Brattberg -

I have run cron manually   .../admin/cron.php, but it didn´t help.

In .../admin/settings.php?section=messagesettingemail I have the same settings as I have in my 2.7 installation where there is no problem to send a mail.

The box for smtp host is empty. May be that´s a problem?

Re: Svar: Re: Emailbased Authentication but no email

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Does that mean the smtp host setting on 2.7 is also empty? Is the 2.7 site on the same server? I would always try to find and set an smtp host if you have the option. Speak to your network administrator. Otherwise, you are relying on the server relaying mail and that's a black hold and a half. 

Svar: Re: Svar: Re: Emailbased Authentication but no email

by Gunilla Brattberg -

Yes, the host setting my two other moodleinstallations in 2.7 are also empty. There I have no problems to send email.

This new moodleinstallation in 2.8.3 is on the same web hotel but probably not in the same server.

One difference between the installations is that version 2.8.3 has a subdomain to a domain in another webhotell (educa.sv.se) directed to the moodle installation in my web hotel - an A record directed to ip-address 89......

Maybe this subdomain solution is the problem?? Which smtp host shall I use, the one in my web hotel or the one in the webb hotel with the subdomain.

I hope you understand what I mean.

/Gunilla

Re: Svar: Re: Svar: Re: Emailbased Authentication but no email

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Gunilla,

I had a similar problem some time ago on a new test server - all settings from https://docs.moodle.org/28/en/Email-based_self-registration were checked and server should have sent email with default settings. I am not sure since what version moodle has had setting

Server > Incoming mail configuration > Mail settings
Enable incoming mail processing

but once I switched that to YES from default No email based self registration started to work like before (in older versions)

In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

Svar: Re: Svar: Re: Svar: Re: Emailbased Authentication but no email

by Gunilla Brattberg -

Thank you!

A really good advice, but it still doesn´t work. No e-mail-messages leave moodle.

In the link you gave me I look for

"In addition to enabling the plugin, email-based self-registration must be selected from the self registration drop-down menu in the common settings which is further down the same page, underneath the authentication plugins. "

I think it must be under handle message output (translated from Swedish) where I can choose E-mail and set the name of the smtp-server.

/Gunilla

Re: Svar: Re: Svar: Re: Svar: Re: Emailbased Authentication but no email

by Howard Miller -

If this is hosted then ask your host's support for the smtp mail relay setting for their service (there should be one) then stick that in the smtp mail setting in Moodle. 

Almost always, mail problems are a server/network configuration issue rather than anything in Moodle. You *have* to know how your server/network handles mail otherwise we are all just guessing.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

Svar: Re: Svar: Re: Svar: Re: Svar: Re: Emailbased Authentication but no email

by Gunilla Brattberg -

Thank you, I will contact the host again.

/Gunilla