Comparisons and advocacy

IMC Learning Suite

Picture of Just H
IMC Learning Suite
Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi folks

Looks like my organisation has decided to go with IMC for a new LMS. As per all proprietary systems, not easy to track down details/reviews (I know they are rated in the top 10 by Craig Weiss but I'm not about to shell out $599 to read his reviews out of curiosity).

Has anyone got any insights re IMC they could share?

Regards

H

Average of ratings: -
Picture of john Simpson
Re: IMC Learning Suite

I'd be interested in knowing why your organisation has chosen another unknown LMS rather than Moodle., and might well cost  them a lot more  than the initial $599.
Is there anything that this LMS can do, that Moodle can't do?. Or is it just that they have too much money burning in their pockets, and they need to get rid of it?

Picture of Just H

"I'd be interested in knowing why your organisation has chosen another unknown LMS rather than Moodle"

So would I, but being employed here and not a consultant, and being one of two people that have maintained our Moodle install since around 2005 ... why would I be involved or even asked my opinion on someone like this? (Yes, I am somewhat ... annoyed ... at the moment!)

"Is there anything that this LMS can do, that Moodle can't do?"

The main goal, before our Moodle install was even mentioned, was to replace a homegrown SIS, linking to various other applications and automating the admin side of things. A "real" Learning Management System rather than a Course Management System as it where. So yes, I believe it will meet a lot of our requirements (as do a lot of systems) and the powers that be keep looking at integrated systems.

It is what it is, nothing I can do about it, was just looking to see if anyone had personal experience with IMC to get a feel for what is heading my way. Once it's in the "fun" part for me will be over (admin, maintaining, hacking Moodle and running our own server) but we will still have to create content for courses.

Picture of Visvanath Ratnaweera
There are a couple of "free seminars" and other videos from IMC on YouTube. I didn't watch long, being unable to understand or guess the meaning of those flashing word combinations they use. But I can very well imagine managers feeling soothed by them.

Judging from the visitor counts on YouTube this thread will be big boost for the IMC videos.
wink

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of john Simpson

Oops, I,ve just become the 59th viewer in a youtube video of IMC, shown over a period of almost two years.

I have a funny feeling your organisation hasn't chosen the most popular LMS, that's for sure.

Picture of ryan sanders

looks like they have a bunch of locations in the world. but what i see is a lot of "non English" speaking areas, there website is lacking detail. not even a comparison of information, what information they give on website, any software of todays standard can easily deal with. almost seems like they are trying to re-invent the wheel all over again from scratch or use marketing as it's finest,  no forum to speak of. no extensions to speak of.  no demo / trail to speak of.  videos i did see, everything was "tiny un-readable text".  it makes me want to run away from it!  on other hand. doing research before hand. and contacting them / getting a demo. before spending a few thousand bucks on software, i could understand. and in that finding a company that has a workforce that can deliver timely responses.  for moodle it = moodle partners. and moodle.org  but for imc. i just do not see it's support. granted web vs actual support may be different. but there website does not imply much. 

Picture of john Simpson

In regards to this Craig Weiss top ten award, has this got anything in comparison as to some sort of an academy award for best LMS's?

moi!!! it is what is is...
Documentation writersParticularly helpful Moodlers

Go and have a look at how far these people are behind already. Read "doc-Spots" very interesting, but just misses completely future trends I suggest. If that is indicative of the perceptive nature of this product, then I can see why it will sit well with management, irrespective of its usability.  And I did watch a couple of the videos, but was left pretty much unclear as to what the actual functionality of the product was. Talked about lots of things, but did not seem to say that much. 

There is something here that Moodle can learn though, if the devs care to look for it, I suggest. 

Picture of john Simpson

QUOTE: IMS website:

"Europe's leading LMS is used by millions of users around the globe and provides tailor-made, cost-effective advanced e learning training to organisations of any size and in any industry".

Yet I couldn't find them anywhere in the top 20 listings anywhere. http://elearningindustry.com/the-20-best-learning-management-systems

As you can see, Moodle is Number 1..

Picture of Emily Wood

Hi H,

My company bought IMC around the same time you posted this. How's your implementation going? I'd be interested in sharing knowledge if you're open to it.

For my part, my company chose to buy it instead of Moodle because of the offline class features that IMC has integrated. I've personally developed in Moodle and used it for my graduate thesis. I'm actually installing an instance of it on my freelance website and enjoy a lot of the features. Plus, you can't beat the price!

Emily

Picture of Just H

Hi Emily, sorry, just noticed your post.

As always in our place with things like this ... it's going slowly cool

A soft launch is likely to happen in December (the SIS side of things) with actual content scheduled for February/March next year. Until a week or two ago my team has been shut out of the project so we still have very little info on the system. We finally where allowed a meeting with one of the IMC techs from Germany last Friday and managed to get some questions answered.

From what little we've seen it appears to be extremely clunky. Luckily we have just licenced the portal, which still leaves a lot to be desired (e.g. students still can't even upload in the portal!) but they at least appear to be playing catch up. If our members have to use the Learning Suite I think we're in trouble.

How's it working out for your organisation?

Regards

H

Picture of Emily Wood

It's going fairly well. We have a lot of f2f training and it handles that better than any of the competitors we considered. The users aren't thrilled about the system. There are lots of clicks to get into an individual course. I talked to IMC about getting the new interface available on their site and they recommended I wait a bit given what I'm using the platform for at this time.

moi!!! it is what is is...
Documentation writersParticularly helpful Moodlers

This is an interesting, and I suspect, a longer term discussion Just... so how is the implementation going? 

I revisited the site and was disappointed that they have not really made their product more transparent. There was a case study that could be applied to any LMS, even a remedial reading class. then I found this: 

"Digitisation has long since found its way into society and organisations worldwide and - it impacts everyone. Companies are looking for concrete, individual solutions to deliver traning content in a way that is up-to-date, targeted, quick and long-lasting. We accompany our clients as partners in doing this from the very beginning.

Together we develop an understanding of what learning in your organisation actually means. Based on this knowledge we create an individual and holistic digital training strategy that fits your needs exactly." (A direct copy and paste from this page.)

I mean, seriously? Digitisation? Holistic? Buzz words, and misspellings are not encouraging....smile Then I found gamification. Wow... how...erm.. exciting... 

<warning style="opinion">Games are useful in learning some things, I have found, but not all things. Games encourage some people, but a lack of success for others will see them opt out every time they can, so the results of intense gamification can be less than useful. I use games in learning, but sparingly, it is not a tool I use all the time. I also use time limited quizzes, mental arithmetic and mental algebra exercises for both maths and listening skills. They can be fun, just as exciting, and more useful by using assessment for learning, not learning for assessment, but I see no references to those kinds of learning tools. Agreed, I am interested in these things whereas others may not be, but Moodle offers that option, so does Sakai and Blackboard if I recall correctly does IMC?</warning>    

You really have me curious as to how it is all going. Your earlier comments are not enthusiastic, so how is it all going?