what's new

what's new

ដោយ Dominique Bauer នៅ
ចំនួនតប៖ 2
រូបភាព Documentation writers រូបភាព Particularly helpful Moodlers រូបភាព Plugin developers

"Welcome to the Moodle community forums... Get support from the community, share ideas and meet others ..."

... and the reality : "But, cluttering up the UI with 100s of stupid options does not make a good, usable system. Please can we focus on actual needs, like the Hebrew numbering thing."

Well, I was totally focused on the question of the Hebrew list labels and I suggested to add the possibility for the user to define his/her own string, whether the Hebrew alphabet or whatever alphabet or list labels that the user may want to use. Maybe my suggestion was not very useful, maybe it would have been just a poor workaround. Although I don't think that it was that bad compared to other comments in the conversation.

BUT IN NO CASE, IT IS ACCEPTABLE TO GET BULLIED OUT OF A CONVERSATION... LO AND BEHOLD BY THE MODERATOR HIMSELF, AND HAVE THE SUGGESTION QUALIFIED AS A "STUPID OPTION".

More, I certainly did not suggest "100s" of options. SO, WHOSE OPTIONS ARE THE OTHER "100s OF STUPID OPTIONS"?

How derailed does the conversation have to get before the moderator understand that he should work on his politeness?

Tim, As a moderator, you should take back the word "studid" and if you have enough guts, you should also apologize to me and others whose suggestions you qualify as "stupid  options".

If you want to have "... an open, collaborative effort ...", do not discourage people like me and others from contributing. That is, unless you are so comfortable having a forum ran by a few unconnected-from-new-users, self-congratulating, narrow-minded and unmannered persons.

Maybe I am being stupid with this post, but I am too sick and tired of bullies to put up with them.

មធ្យមភាគនៃរង្វាយតម្លៃ: -
ឆ្លើយតបទៅកាន់ Dominique Bauer

Re: what's new

ដោយ Tim Hunt នៅ
រូបភាព Core developers រូបភាព Documentation writers រូបភាព Particularly helpful Moodlers រូបភាព Peer reviewers រូបភាព Plugin developers

I will certainly apologies to you for the offence I have caused. It was never my intention to imply that you were stupid. I don't think you are. Elsewhere in the thread you provided excellent analysis of how other system behave, which was very helpful.

The only things I intended to label as stupid were these numbering systems (and even there it was probably not the best choice of word, with hind-sight):

• [1, 10, 11, 100...] binary
  • [smile , big grin , wink , thoughtful ...] icons
  • [QZN-T.01, QZN-T.02, QZN-T.03, QZN-T.04...] some specialized meaning

I can see no reason why Moodle should make that possible. (Beyond the freedom you have with an open source system to edit the code and make it do anything you like.)

The biggest danger with any big, complex, open-source system is that everyone adds their own favourite feature, until you end up with a big sprawling mess that is impossible for a newcomer to learn. This has happened in the past in Moodle, and the Quiz module is probably one of the areas most affected. It is extremely hard to simplify things later, though we have been trying.

So, I don't apologies for resisting very strongly anything people propose to add that overcomplicated the UI unnecessarily. (In my opinion. This any particular case can be debated. I have certainly made my own share of stupid suggestions about Moodle, which have then rightly been shot down.)

However, as I say. My intention was not to cause offence to you. I am very sorry that I have done so. I hope that we can move on and have productive conversations in the future.

មធ្យមភាគនៃរង្វាយតម្លៃ:Useful (1)
ឆ្លើយតបទៅកាន់ Tim Hunt

Re: what's new

ដោយ dawn alderson នៅ

Oh I am sorry-in the first instance...I am apologizing now សើចសប្បាយ

But, oh please, I don't see why Tim ought to apologize here...but he has and that is the end of that.

I think reason is important if we are talking about any feature of moodle/core and as stated Quiz can be open to clutter....perhaps because it is one of the most popular features.  

The fact of the matter does remain there are some stupid comments and possibly people (LOLs!) who frequent these forums, and it gets annoying when reason is pushed out of the window and not understood. Not that I am saying you or your ideas are that way inclined Dominique, I just think we are all guilty of having off-posts...and I take your point moderators should know better, 'Tim' បិសាច     

D

មធ្យមភាគនៃរង្វាយតម្លៃ: -