language packs

language packs

by David Hepburn III -
Number of replies: 6
I've got a question regarding language packs / language selection.  Didn't really seem to fit in the other forums, so I'm hoping you guys can help -- or perhaps point me in the right direction.

What's the difference between language "en" and "en_us" ?  I'm assuming one is "standard english" and the other is "english - united states."  Why are 2 different language packs defined, and what's different between the two?

thanks!
David
Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Hepburn III

Re: language packs

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi David,

Koen is the real language pack expert and translation coordinator, however I'll just mention one obvious difference:

enrol or enroll

If you disagree with both of these spellings, you're welcome to create your own language pack, say en_memphis! wink

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Auch, sensitive spot big grin

We used to have some discussions here wether it should be enrolment or enrollment.

So the en_us satisfies the American Moodlers, the en satisfies the other English speaking Moodlers.

edit: we wrote this apparently almost the same time smile Didn't see your post yet  when I started typing, Helen

by Tim Allen -
English is an international language, but there are also small differences between different varieties of English.  I would like to see even more English packs to cater for Singapore English, Indian English, and so on, which all have their peculiarities.

There is really no such thing as "standard English" these days, there are rather "standard Englishes".  This realization comes from my work as an English professor in Korea. 

The "en" pack closely approximates British English, which in its written form is almost identical to Australian English.  This reflects the fact that Moodle was founded by an Australian, Martin Dougiamas.  I am sure Martin didn't mean to imply that the "en" pack is standard and that the "en_us" pack is non-standard.  In order to make this clear, it might be a good idea to rename "en" to "en_br" for British English.  This might create complications for clearly showing which language pack is standard though, as within Moodle one language pack needs to be defined as "standard".

I'd be interested in any other thoughts on my comments. 

Tim.  smile 
In reply to Tim Allen

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers
This might be difficult. Isn't it made clear somewhere that the en language pack is the core language pack? I don't think this implies anything negative. I think Martin created en_us mostly because of the complaints that enroll was spelled wrong (by me for onesmile). Maybe it should just be called en_withenrollspelledwithtwoll'swink. But it also deals with the time issue, 12 hour vs 24 hour. It seems like those are the only two real differences that I've noticed.

By the way, here are the English language options in MS Office:

Australia
Belize
Caribbean
Hong Kong SAR
India
Indonesia
Ireland
Jamaica
Malaysia
New Zealand
Philippines