Email teachers option sending emails to users not teachers in the course

Re: Email teachers option sending emails to users not teachers in the course

by Emma Richardson -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

This is a notification permission set on the manager role.  Because managers have access to all courses, this will happen if their permissions are set to receive certain notifications.  You should be able to fix this by removing the permission.  

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Christina Munoz -

I've tried changing settings in the manager role many times in a great deal of settings, but can't seem to find the right one to turn off.  Do you perhaps know which setting this is connected to?

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Shalimar Anderson -
This is actually a tricky case, and one I think needs to be reported to the tracker (I think... it might already be there).

This isn't actually controlled by a permissions setting.
The certificate module (on the certificate module settings page) has a "Issue Options" section with the following option:

Email Teachers? (dropdown box - Y/N)

It must be the case that the Certificate module is looking for any roles similar to teacher, or maybe created with the teacher archetype... which are assigned in parent contexts (i.e. the course category level).
So, for example, you might have a special role of "Instructional designer" based on the editingteacher archetype, which you assign at the course category (College of Sciences or College of Arts and Letters, for example)... I think the certificate module is notifying them as if they were teachers of the course, because they have a similar role in a over-arching context.

I will reach out about this issue. It's plaguing me right now. sad