Trying to install chat daemon - help!!!!

Trying to install chat daemon - help!!!!

by Nikki Macfarlane -
Number of replies: 2
First, I am not a programmer so am new to much of this!

I am trying to install chat daemon before i launch our new moodle courses at the end of this week so we do not have any problems with delays and overload.

I have contacted my server and asked how I can input the unix lines since this is completely gibberish to me! They have said I need shell access which i do not have. Is accessing a unix command line and shell access the same thing?

Very confused!!

Thanks, Nikki
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nikki Macfarlane

Re: Trying to install chat daemon - help!!!!

by John Papaioannou -
Roughly speaking, a "shell" is an environment (a program, really) which allows you to execute other programs. It does this by letting you type in commands and figuring out what to do for each command you typed. Almost always, to let you know that the shell is ready for your input, it shows a "prompt" on the screen (e.g. "C:\WINDOWS>" or "root@eepcl82:/samba/mythtv#", I have this open right now).

So, in essence, a "unix command line" is the visible aspect of a shell: the prompt, plus the commands that you type in. It's not the same thing in a strict technical sense, but practically yes, it is. You cannot use the chat daemon without shell access.
In reply to John Papaioannou

Re: Trying to install chat daemon - help!!!!

by Nikki Macfarlane -
Thanks Jon, perfectly understandable now. I will have to upgrade to a vps and then i will have shell access. Lets hope that doesn't screw anythign else up!

Thanks for the great explanation.

Nikki