Visibility between list of assignment and grade book is out of sync.

Visibility between list of assignment and grade book is out of sync.

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -
Number of replies: 2

I have an assignment that is visible to the students, and to me, in the assignment list yet we cannot see it in the grade book. The category is visible.  Regardless of setting, is the eye in the assignment the same as the "eye" in the grade-book? If not then it would explain the issue but that doesn't makes sense.

I noticed something that may be linked:  I did a lot of moving of individual, and blocks, of assignments.  At times, the assignment menu would indicate "Show" when it is actually hidden and vice versa.  It seemed to correct when I exited Moodle and restarted it.

For the assignment in question, I set the grade book entry to visible and now it seems to be available to students.

I am sure that it is confusing but it did happen.
Anyone else?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steve Ambro v3.8

Re: Visibility between list of assignment and grade book is out of sync.

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Steve,

Yes they are two different "eye" settings. I use that capability for "fill in" work when I have students who complete all required assignments so much faster than other students. Having the extra, "for fun" assignments visible in the course allows them to see what they need to do and gives them a place to turn work in, and having it hidden in the grade book, removes it from being counted in their grade total.

If you use a combination of activity completion and access restrictions, you can even make it so students never even see the fun stuff until they are "caught up."

HTH,

AL

In reply to AL Rachels

Re: Visibility between list of assignment and grade book is out of sync.

by Przemek Kaszubski -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Unsuspecting teachers do not know that they need to control visibility from both ends, I'm afraid.

I think activity settings should be default simply have a setting related to the gradebook eye - "do you want this activity to be included in the gradebook" or such like. Teacher view of the gradebook should more clearly show which activities are excluded with the closed eye (same thing goes for the locked grades by the way) - probably a theme thing to improve.

It is such UX things that make me change the default course setting from Show gradebook to students to Hide it on our site. Most teachers do not find it easy to control. My primary experience is with Moodle 2.6, but I have tested Moodle 2.8 and have not found this particular behaviour to be any more transparent and easier for the average teacher. 

Just my 2 p's on this subject.