Read Only Roles

Read Only Roles

by Iain Gray -
Number of replies: 2

Hello

We are about to put our Moodle 1.9 environment into an archive state, so that content and grades can no longer be changed.

Has anyone created read-only roles for student and teacher?

One of the issues i have come across is that to allow the teacher to view all assignment submissions and grades you need to allow the mod/assignment:grade capability. This would mean that the role isn't truly read only and grades could be changed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Iain

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Iain Gray

Re: Read Only Roles

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Changing roles to read only will probably radically change the way Moodle appears to a person with that role. You might be better off creating a database user and restricting making it read only apart from the tables that must be updated. I have had a go at that with Moodle 2.X and it seems doable though I have never put it into production.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Iain Gray

Re: Read Only Roles

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

The Open Unversity switches all students to a read-only role at the end of each course, and that works well.