Upgrade from 2.5 to 2.8 doesn't seem to be complete

Upgrade from 2.5 to 2.8 doesn't seem to be complete

by Shannon Mollenhauer -
Number of replies: 6

We're finally upgrading our 2.5.1 system to 2.8. I tried following the upgrade steps carefully, but when I get to the part about checking notifications, my site still says I'm on 2.5.1.

I ran through upgrades for the plugins, and also got PHP version to report using 5.4.36, but the system still says 2.5.1. I'm no Linux admin hero, so is there some other "restart" or "refresh" command needed to get this system to recognize the new software?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Shannon Mollenhauer

Re: Upgrade from 2.5 to 2.8 doesn't seem to be complete

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

How did you update the Moodle software?

In reply to Howard Miller

by Shannon Mollenhauer -

I followed the directions on the upgrading page for using the command line (https://docs.moodle.org/28/en/Upgrading). 

Moved my folder which my hosting support says is where the software was installed - moodledata to moodledata.backup. Then unpacked the latest tar file which created a new folder structure named moodle. I renamed that to moodledata so other files which point to that folder wouldn't get confused.

The instructions talked about copying custom mods (I don't have any), .htaccess, config.php, etc. I have more than one of each of those, but they weren't necessarily where I thought they would be based on the documentation.

As I look around my directory structure, I notice there are also many of the same folders and files in /public_html. Is it possible this is where my upgraded files were supposed to go? The public_html tree also has folders for other web applications hosted on this server, so I know it's not exclusive to Moodle.

Are there some sample files you'd like me to attach to help troubleshoot?

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Doesn't sound right... 'moodledata' is the area for uploaded files NOT the moodle program itself. You don't have to touch moodledata (although taking a backup of it is sensible). It sounds as though you haven't actually changed your Moodle program files at all. I think you need to check where Moodle is actually installed (not the data) and you might need to restore moodledata too. 

In reply to Howard Miller

by Shannon Mollenhauer -

I think you're right. It looks like the public_html area has all the folders found in the new moodle 2.8 structure, so I'm going to put the moodledata.backup back where it was, backup my public_html, then install 2.8 under public_html. Although, I may try a new folder so it's not comingled with the other web applications there and see how that goes. 

Thanks for your guidance.

by Diana H. -

Hello!

Any success on upgrading from 2.5 to 2.8 now?

In reply to Diana H.

by Jeff Shrek -

Remember there are three things you need to back up:

(1) The database.

(2) The moodledata folder which is NOT a publicly accessible folder, but hides away on your server somewhere.

(3) The moodle folder which IS publicly accessible from the web. This is the one that you replace with new version

After you have backed all three of these things up, you can rename the publicly web accessible moodle folder to moodleOLD then extract the new version which will create a new moodle folder in the same place with the new files. You then copy over the config.php from moodleOLD folder to moodle folder and upgrade should start the next time you go to moodle/admin/