Problem updating Moodle via Git - files changed?

Re: Problem updating Moodle via Git - files changed?

by Howard Miller -
Number of replies: 1
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Strictly speaking, changing the permissions *is* a change. If you want your local change recorded then... (from the root of your Moodle install)

git add .
git commit -m 'changing file permissions'

gets you to the same place, and the change is now logged in your git history. If you care. 

In reply to Howard Miller

Re: Problem updating Moodle via Git - files changed?

by Ryan Foster -

When I tried this, it seemed to want me to add all of the untracked files as well.  I have a bunch of untracked files that I didn't care to have tracked just yet, so for the sake of expedience, I just toggled the core.filemode option instead of fussing with ignore lists.  I wouldn't mind fixing this more completely some day, but I didn't want a simple update spiraling into a much longer escapade.

While I understand now that changing permissions counts as a file change where Git is concerned, I still think it might be useful to indicate that somewhere in the documentation.  I'm willing to help with that, if help is needed.