MAMP, Apache couldn't be started. Please check your MAMP installation and configuration.

MAMP, Apache couldn't be started. Please check your MAMP installation and configuration.

by Tonia Malone -
Number of replies: 10

Greetings, 

Frist, I will start by saying I am not a programmer. I am currently the gui admin for Moodle 2.6 at Cal Poly, SLO so I am familiar with Moodle. 

I am working on a new theme for Cal Poly and want to install Moodle 2.7 on a laptop just for me to work on the Theme. I installed the MAMP from Moodle (Moodle27). I have successfully started apache on the Mac OS X 10.8 laptop. I was able to see the "it works" when I typed the URL - "localhost" in the browser. I also can see the PHP info when I type the URL - "localhost/phpinfo.php". BUT, when I try to "start servers" in MAMP I get this error "Apache couldn't be started. Please check your MAMP installation and configuration." 

Apache is running. I used multiple websites for information, such as;

http://machiine.com/2013/how-to-install-apache-and-php-on-a-mac-with-osx-10-8-mamp-part-1/

lynda.com -  Installing Apache, MySQL, and PHP with David Gassner

Moodle - Activity Monitor, quit the... httpd nobody

I have successfully installed Moodle 2.0 and MAMP on an older laptop 3 years ago, but today after trying for 6 hours....I am really to wait for HELP.

Thank you in advance for your helpful advice,

Tonia Malone

Cal Poly - SLO

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tonia Malone

Re: MAMP, Apache couldn't be started. Please check your MAMP installation and configuration.

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Tonia, its Yosemite & MAMP issue, either install latest version of MAMP i.e 3.0.7.1 or shut down your MAMP servers,

go to Applications/MAMP/bin/apache2/bin/envvars and rename the file to _envvars

alternatively,

use FINDER and and find the file named envvars, rename this file to _envvars

restart your Apache and MySQL servers, and you're done!

In reply to Usman Asar

Re: MAMP, Apache couldn't be started. Please check your MAMP installation and configuration.

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Usman, I tried to modify the Moodle Docs with this "_envvars" note, but I am not sure that it worked.  I thought that this information should be in the Docs.  Do you know if you have tried adding it?  Also, we might want this note "dated" if you think it will be fixed in the future.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Usman Asar -

Hello Rick,

I am unsure about this being added to the Documents, and personally I have no idea how to do this smile. I assume that latest version must have fixed this issue already. Have you tried installing the latest MAMP and tried?

In reply to Usman Asar

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I thought that anyone could edit the docs, but I am not sure if the edits then go to a review committee.

No, I haven't tried the latest version.  My current version runs so well that I don't want to tamper with it.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Usman Asar -

It's not with editing documents (I so believe as well that any one can edit), but issue is I am not a MAC user to write about MAC issues with absolute confidence. If it would have been windows then I definitely would have contributed.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Rick

Just in case, there are tons of Moodle Docs, from https://docs.moodle.org/19/en/ to https://docs.moodle.org/28/en/ !
In reply to Usman Asar

by Tonia Malone -

Asar,

I wish it was that. I am running 10.8 (Mountain Lion) on this laptop. I did find a whole lot of web pages talking about Yosemite, but that doesn't apply to my old laptop.

I will try it, at this point I have noting to lose. I will let you know if the change does anything.

Thank you,

Tonia

In reply to Usman Asar

by Tonia Malone -

Asar,

Thank you, but in Mountain Lion changing the name didn't work. I still get the "Apache couldn't be started. Please check your MAMP installation and configuration." error.

Any other ideas?

Tonia

In reply to Tonia Malone

by Usman Asar -

Hi Tonia,

Sorry to read it didn't worked, Have you renamed the file envvars to _envvars? if yes, then rename it back (as name change solution was for Yosemite), and possible problem would be turning off the Apache that comes as the part of OS-X itself.

for that you've to open up terminal and write command sudo apachectl stop, so that the default Apache will stop for your MAMP installed Apache to take over.

Other thing you can do is, open up MAMP console and set the ServerName to localhost and set the listen port to 8080.

See if that works, as I am afraid I don't use MAC, to be very helpful in this regard, but will keep trying if something can help out. smile