Timed Posts appear on student's My Home notification

Timed Posts appear on student's My Home notification

by Ajmal Sultany -
Number of replies: 2

Dear Moodlers,

After enabling 'timed posts' in the Forum settings, all seems to be working well. We have checked our capabilities for 'view hidden timed posts' and this is also set correctly.

However, we are experiencing the following situation:

A teacher posts a new forum discussion and sets the 'display period' to a date in the future. But when a student logs in and views the 'My Home' page, for that particular course they get the notification that "there are new forum posts". (Please see picture 1)

They should not be getting this message as the forum post is set to be hidden until a future date. Has anyone else seen this issue and are there any solutions?

Thank you,

Moodle 2.5.3 

Attachment Picture 1_ Forum notification.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ajmal Sultany

Re: Timed Posts appear on student's My Home notification

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I have only occasionally used timed posts and when I have I didn't check the My home page but it is possible it is a bug. I tried on our sandbox site demo.moodle.net and got the same result as you. The student is told on their Myhome page there are new forum posts but when they click to go to the forum, those posts are not available. I also found this: MDL-48287 in the tracker, and I note too that in the admin settings for timed posts it says it is experimental (although that was years ago, but perhaps it suggests not everything is perfect in it.)

In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Timed Posts appear on student's My Home notification

by Ajmal Sultany -

Hi Mary,

Thank you for testing this. Yes that is what I thought too and it seems that there is no solution on the horizon at the moment. I will keep an eye on this in case it is fixed some time in the future.

Best wishes,