Can HTML text editor be added to Quiz answer boxes?

Can HTML text editor be added to Quiz answer boxes?

by Jim Murray -
Number of replies: 5

We have a teacher who, when creating matching questions in the Quiz activity, would like to have available the HTML editing tools in both of the matching boxes, not just the "first" one.  Is there a setting that can be adjusted by an Admin that would allow the teacher to use the HTML editor in both answer boxes of a Matching question in the Quiz activity?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jim Murray

Re: Can HTML text editor be added to Quiz answer boxes?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

There is no point adding the HTML editor there.

The choices are displayed in a drop-down menu, which can only handle plain text.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Jim Murray -

Thanks, Tim, I understand your reasoning.  Our teacher is a math teacher who is looking to use the equation editor in BOTH the matching boxes (along with the superscript option), but can only use it in the one with the tools available right now.  We're looking at other possible workarounds, but I appreciate your time and response.  Thanks!

In reply to Jim Murray

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

One work-around is that Unicode has characters for super-script and sub-script characters. So, I can type x⁷ and H₂O without any HTML tags.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Daniel Thies -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

This may be similar to the problem that appears in MDL-47712.  In normal HTML, the drop down should not be expected to work with additional markup so having the text editor or equation editor does not make sense.  If TeX is included in the drop downs, it may be converted by the filter into markup.  The TeX notation filter will process the TeX into image tags, but these are not displayed in a browser.  MathJax HTML output however seems to be displayable in drop downs.  I don't know if this does work with all browsers, but apparently there are teachers using it.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jim Murray

by Mauno Korpelainen -

We were in fact discussing about using maths and images in drop down lists many years ago when most people still had IE that was only able to use text in drop down lists. I made some demos (in moodle 1.9) about javascript (jquery) based workarounds - how to create similar kind of elements that were not actually drop down lists but div elements and used in a same way as drop down lists in one of my editor demo plugins.

Exactly a year ago I noticed that since moodle was using Bootstrap already (in themes) and jQuery was not "so banned" anymore I made a new post about this topic:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=253520

Tim's response was: "Why just give students a pre-defined list of possible options. Let them type there response like STACK does."

Type - LaTeX.

So I decided to delete those demos and my whole test server http://korpelainen.net last year... big grin

You can still use images and mathematical notations (and equation editor) in many standard question types and OU question types - one of my favourites is Drag and Drop Matching question type

Average of ratings: Useful (2)