Putting a resource outside of a class so that it can be shared by multiple classes

Putting a resource outside of a class so that it can be shared by multiple classes

by Tom Connolly -
Number of replies: 5
I have some resources that I would like to be made available to many classes.  Is there some way to make a "library" or lounge to put them in, rather than putting them as a resource in on week of one course?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tom Connolly

Re: Putting a resource outside of a class so that it can be shared by multiple classes

by ryan sanders -
your looking for "meta courses"  you need to turn it on in "site admin menu" i do not remember were beyond that point.

create a course and then you can do something inheriting rolls to and/or from other courses to this meta course. so more of an automatic thing.

another way is with" cohorts" enrollment setup, into a course.

i am going to point ya up to  "DOCUMENTATION" or rather http://docs.moodle.org for more information. 

there is a couple other ways... but not yet familiar with moodle to remember them by heart yet.  above seem to be the 2 mostly suggested options.

some things to think about. allowing editing teachers in your course coming over into this "meta course" or extra course and being able to edit stuff. and wanting to deal with different enrolment type.  might suggest giving free run of the course, and if need to make schedule backups of course. so if someone does accidentally delete information, you can go back and restore it.  granted every situation is different *shrugs*

In reply to Tom Connolly

Re: Putting a resource outside of a class so that it can be shared by multiple classes

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Tom,

In a hidden category I have set up a course as "Site Wide Resources" (course is set to "show") with enrolment methods manual enrolments and  guest enrolment enabled. All teachers are enrolled as teachers in "Site Wide Resources" so they can add their material in this course. In their own courses they can set up links to resources in "Site Wide Resources." A student only needs to be logged in to the site, but does not need to be enrolled in "Site Wide Resources."

With kind regards,

Hartmut

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tom Connolly

by Kathryn Davis -

We use the global glossary with definitions for info distribution and attachments for resource distribution. A global glossary has entries which are linked to from throughout the site, rather than only in the course that the glossary is in.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Kathryn Davis

by Natalie Denmeade -

What a great idea Kathryn - thanks for sharing smile

In reply to Tom Connolly

by mick frain -

If you create a course bucket, if you want to call it that, then you can link in from multiple courses. Currently i am setting up 5 courses to link into one shared area of knowledge. The student enrols into say course A in a group. All course A contains is the assements and buttons for each klp. You click on say lesson 1 and you are then faced with two buttons, one takes you to the assessment and another takes you to the knowledge "bucket". This is using flexible sections by the way. I have also put a button in the knowledge bucket next to lesson 1 resources that takes you back to the specific assessment so it is seamless. Your "bucket" only needs guest access or self enrol setting up on it.

Combining flexible sections and this "bucket" means i have 5 massive courses whith "one version of the truth" as my resources. Easy to update for the guys who are putting the resources in.