Duplicate a moodle platform

Duplicate a moodle platform

by Marco Petrin -
Number of replies: 5

Hi, we have a moodle platform based on Moodle 2.6 and hosted in Europe.

We need to extend access to chinese users and are therefore going to host the platform also in China (in a China based server).

However, we need to have full and efficient synchronization between the two platforms: we would like to manage them as one even if we will have two platform in two different servers.

Is there any already existing tools / script / software that enable us to do that?

Thank you very much.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marco Petrin

Re: Duplicate a moodle platform

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

It can't be done... no really, it can't. 

Many have asked exactly this question or some variation on it. Moodle simply isn't designed to work in this kind of situation. I know of a couple of projects to do this and they all came to nothing. 

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Marco Petrin -

Thank you for your reply! So what's the best solution that we can do?

If we have to manage 2 platform, so we have to upload twice any kind of resource, news in the forum and specific modify?

There is a way to redirect all the result of a quiz or a SCORM package in a single database?

In reply to Marco Petrin

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

The "Great Firewall of China" which is presumably making connections from China so bad that they need a local Moodle will also break just about anything else you try. I have seen the same issue many times now. Personally, I would leave them to their own internet misery but business is business. You just need to backup the courses send the backups to China (slowly) and restore them there. I'm not aware of an elegant answer. 

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Moten ZHang -

use CDN speed up networks

or a mirror server

As a Chinese Moodler, I don't know why not have a Chinese Moodle Partner to do these work?

In reply to Marco Petrin

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Marco, this can be done!

depending on what your server is based on in terms of operating system and web server, things will go different.

if you are Linux based -  Apache with a hardware based layer 7 load-balancer serving clients on the basis of Geo Location, where you'll be keeping one server in China.

If on Windows based - IIS with ARR (Application request routing) and keeping one server in China (actually host with Singapore softlayer), and route traffic coming from china to singapore server. and that comes with Zero cost for the load balancing.

in both cases, ideally host database on google cloud/amazon cloud.