moodle 2.8.2 course restore from 2.5.1 backup Error

moodle 2.8.2 course restore from 2.5.1 backup Error

by marc helfano -
Number of replies: 28

Hi, I've got a moodle 2.5.1 course that i backup up clean, no users or data, etc... (on a manual install), i recently installed (on bluehost.com) the moodle 2.8.2 'marketplace' install, it looks great...

when i goto restore my 2.5.1 course, it uploads the files, goes thru to step 6 of the 'process' and then hangs, and just sits there. never gets to the complete phase.

ive attached a screenshot, all help to get this restored is appreciated.

Attachment restore error 1.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to marc helfano

Re: moodle 2.8.2 course restore from 2.5.1 backup Error

by diego dubois -
i have the same problem recovering backup from 2.5 in 2.8.5. the backup is about 100mb and have a lot of quizes.

In reply to diego dubois

by diego dubois -

I put in debug mode and no errors are shows. i installed a clean 2.8.5 and have the same error now i will try to recover in a fresh 2.5.9, and then upgrade to 2.8.5 and then make a backup

when i finish i tell you if i have lucky

Regards Diego

In reply to diego dubois

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Sometimes you just have to wait...a really long time...

In reply to diego dubois

by marc helfano -

thnaks , please do let me know... as me im a good computer guy, but im not linux or php expert... 

so im currently using bluehost to host my existing site, it a manual install of 2.5.1 that was 'migrated to them' by a web consultant i had hired to do the migration upgrade from a previous version.. BUT bluehost offers that 'preset installation' of 2.8.2 ,and id like to goto that, and start using the badges, and the gradebook ,and more...

so id really like to try to get my exisitng site over... , not the students or the data, just my assignments, labels, file links, etc..

i was thinknig of actually just re-creating it fresh over the summer, manually, and then i can re-examine what i dont need anymore, etc.. so its nice clean database, etc..

In reply to marc helfano

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

You do not need Bluehost's installer to upgrade and honestly, I would recommend not going that route.  Sometimes host installers do strange things to websites.  You can simply upload the latest greatest version to your host and upgrade yourself.  Just follow the upgrade instructions found here https://docs.moodle.org/28/en/Upgrading.  Make sure that you have a full backup of your moodle code, your moodledata folder and your database before you start.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by marc helfano -

ok, so i can go from 2.5.1 to latest 2.8.2 ? following the instructions you'd listed..?

ill do a full backup to my local system, and ill goto bluehost and do their backup up the database, as well bluehost is pretty good about doing a complete database and folder restore from previous day if and when needed...

i like the idea of not using the bluehost to do the 'mojo marketplace' installs, 

i think i may try your directions, im a little afraid as i'm not a great .php / scripting person... 

In reply to marc helfano

by Emma Richardson -

You don't need to be a scripter.  Upload the new moodle folder to your bluehost file directory.  Call it moodlenew or something like that.  Copy across all your plugin folders from your existing install to the new one.  (I usually go to my Plugins Overview page and select Additional Only to make sure that I don't miss any).  Make sure you put them in the correct folder in the new installer.  Copy across your config.php file as well.  If your moodle installation is directly in your public_html directory (i.e. there is no moodle folder in public_html containing all the moodle stuff in it and when you open public_html you see folders like admin,blocks,mod,local etc), then you will also need to copy across php.ini and .htaccess (this is a hidden file so make sure you select show hidden files when you open your file manager).  Then rename your existing moodle install to moodleold.  Now rename the new installer to moodle or public_html depending on your set, open up your browser and you should be prompted to upgrade at that point.

by marc helfano -
so basically i need to copy only the plugins that ive added. as i went thru them now i uninstalled theones i dont use, thus theres really only a handful, checklist, game and hotpot... but the rest of the listing i see there will already be in the new folder... right?

i also did a backup/dload of my sql databases and the moodledata251.

quick question, can i also rename my moodledata251 forlder (this is directly in my home forlder, not the public_html, and then just edit my config.php file to remove the 251 part...

as i have the home folder/public_html/moodle for the main moodle, and the /moodledata251 is in the root (home) folder...?

marc

In reply to marc helfano

by marc helfano -

Hi emma, 

i followed the instructions, uploaded the new moodle 2.8.5 files to a folder in /public_html called /moodle285. 

I copied the config.php from the /moodle to the /moodle285, also the 3 plugins to the /moodle285/mod folder.

now when i goto the site, it's just white, nothing happens...? any ideas?

items to note, my /public_html folder is a seperate wordpress site, and i have another subfolder in /public_html called /ssi which is its own wordpress site.

so could it be an .htaccess error?

thanks

the site is mrhelfand.com

In reply to marc helfano

by Emma Richardson -

Did you rename the moodle285 folder to whatever your original moodle folder was called?

by marc helfano -

yes, i renamed the original /moodleold, then renamed the /moodle285 to /moodle

when i goto the domain name it doesnt even really try, it just goes white immediately and the loading stops.

In reply to marc helfano

by Emma Richardson -

Sounds like you might be missing an htaccess file - check your original moodle folder for any files that are not in the new one. 

by marc helfano -

i'll do a file compare now of the files in the /moodleold as compared to the /moodle (the new version). i know i copied the config.php over to the new /moodle.

the htaccess file i in the /public_html folder.. this is where the wordpress site is housed (i have 3 sites, the moodle, a wordpress (manual installation) in the root /public_html folder, and a bluehost mojomarketplace wordpress in the /systemsservicesinc folder under the /public_html folder.

In reply to marc helfano

by marc helfano -

Thanks again for all your help Emma, this is great, and i'm learning alot.

the new moodle folder /moodle has a file that is not in the /moodleold; .cssltntrc

and the new /moodle folder does NOT have these files that are in the /moodleold:

default.html

favicon.ico

400.shtml

401.shtml

403.shtml

404.shtml

500.PHP

500.shtml

should i try copying these over to the new /moodle, i dont want to do it unless it's right.

In reply to marc helfano

by Emma Richardson -

YOu should be able to copy all of those over to the new folder and that might fix it.  However, did you also make sure that you can see hidden files when you entered the file manager?  If there is a .htaccess file it will be hidden and that is probably the one you need. 

by marc helfano -

so i tried copying all those over, still no go.

so i renamed the old moodle bakto moodle (first renamed the new one /moodle285)

then logged back in and removed 2 more of the add-on plugins the only one left is /game, which i do use.), and changed the theme to the basic one (but the one i had was one of the default included choices), now im reup-loading the 2.8.5 files again, copying over the config.php and .htaccess again ,and will try again

im just not sure whats causing it to hang like that.

i do see the .htaccess in the moodle folder, and dont see how to turn on/off hidden files, as i see the .htaccess there by default... ill try more again tomorrow.
thabnks again for all your assistance, it does really seem easier than i'd initially thought, just have to make sure the to copy overt the config.php and the .htacess files and the new version is supposed to auto-update when it works properly.

In reply to marc helfano

by Emma Richardson -

In your php.ini in Bluehost, you can turn debugging on, that might at least kick out a few errors maybe.  (Look for something about showing error messages) You have to be very close - I know that I had issues until I found .htaccess file and once I got that it went through as normal.  Bluehost support are actually very helpful once you get them on the line - I use the chat and they have helped me several times.  Each host has a slightly different setup so sometimes it is just figuring out what is specific to that one.

In reply to marc helfano

by Emma Richardson -

Just a thought - do you have the required php version?

by marc helfano -

well i called bluehost tech support ,and the tech, i believe checked that out, and he chatted with the other techs, but theres only so much they can do since they dont know moodle intimately,...

i switched the folder names back for now so i can use again, but i'd like to figure it out, as it seemed so easy when you initially mentioned the process.

In reply to marc helfano

by Emma Richardson -

It is a simple process - a blank page is almost always a php error - you either do not have the correct version of php - (what version are you running)  or you are missing a file somewhere. 

by marc helfano -

thanks again emma, 

whet file in my /moodle folder would i look at to see what version of php its expecting, then i can contact bluehost to see what version my server is running, and see if they match.

In reply to marc helfano

by Emma Richardson -

2.8 requires 5.4.4 or later. You can find the version you are using in your cpanel. You can also switch to a later version If needed.

by marc helfano -

thanks emma, ill check it out tonight, as i was busy this weekend and couldnt do it as yet.

In reply to marc helfano

by marc helfano -

Ok, so it seems bluehost's latest version of php, is 5.4.38, and they dont know when theyre planning on going to a later version, so that is probably the problem/situation...

do you agree?

thanks again for all your support and assistance...as always.

by marc helfano -

Thanks again Emma, for all your help, bluehost has currently 5.4.38, and they dont know when theyll get the latest..
so im out of luck for now, but will keep my eyes open for when they upgrade to 5.4.4+

however, youre assistance has showed me how easy it can be, just to make sure the config.php, and the htaccess files are properly migrated over, and the php versions need to be checked on, etc...

but when they do upgrade, ill be back on here , seeknig your help Emma. 

thanks again for your time and patience

In reply to marc helfano

by Emma Richardson -

Actually you are fine - I did exactly the same thing with BlueHost and got confused by numbering too but .38 is higher than .4!!   I am surprised that support did not figure it out for you - if your php is fine, and you have the correct version assigned to this then it about has to be a missing htaccess file or something like that.  I know that you are really close - I have done a few upgrades on BlueHost and run into this a few times - once it was .htaccess, other time client had been doing some random folder copying between versions and a fresh copy of the moodle code fixed it.  I would check back again with tech support - maybe you just didn't get the right guy but they have always been super helpful with me.

One thing you can try is to find your php.ini file and turn debugging display on there - that will at least tell you if it is finding the installer...

by marc helfano -

id always thought the 5.4.4 referred to 5.4.40, and that 5.4.38 was prior to the 5.4.40, ill call them tonight. and re-upload the fresh code.

also, how would i turn on the php.ini debugging, in moodle, or vie bluehost tech support?

In reply to marc helfano

by Emma Richardson -

Yes, so did I until I looked into a little further!  Somewhere in your Bluehost web folder, you should have a php.ini file.  In there search for debug and you will find a debug display setting in there set to false - change that to true.

Now, bluehost allows you to select php version per website - you will find that in the control panel php settings.  You might see what you have set there and make sure that you are using the 5.4 version for your websites.